Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Team
(12-09-2022, 12:15 PM)Butcher Wrote: Is it possible that Jed doesn't know what the fuck he's doing?

If you look at Jed's track record when he and McLeod were running the San Diego front office, it wasn't exactly spectacular. Let's hope Carter Hawkins can recreate what he helped build in Cleveland with a bigger checkbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last year's Phillies showed that when a youth rebuild isn't working, or is working too slowly, there are other options. In terms of prospects they're not where we were in 2015 at all, but I do think they're better organizationally in developing pitching and have more pitching talent in the system than then, so that's something. The young/cost controlled players may be pitchers not position this players this time. And while it'll matter less with the balanced schedule, the division isn't as good as it was in 2015, if I'm remembering correctly. Plus, more playoff teams now. And a network and ratings to worry about. The construction is largely done around Wrigley now. Nothing should stop them from going big, because it's hard to see the money going down moving forward.
No thanks to Trey Mancini.

I've already lost quite a bit of interest in this team since 2019, not going to lie...remaining a fan of this organization while under this ownership is going to be a hard sell for me if they dont do anything beyond fucking Bellinger and Taillon.
Hope that I’m wrong but the Cubs will have some additional moves this off-season e.g. adding veteran bullpen arms, defensive catcher, and a veteran bat or two but they aren’t likely to sign nor trade for a premier player

Agree that it’s become more difficult being a Cub fan specially after management dissembled the core of the team without a real plan for developing a competitive MLB roster since trading away Darvish.

Believe that Jed thought he could add premier free agents with short term high value contracts but management should have been flexible after seeing the market shifted to long term contracts with larger than expected total values. When Cubs aren’t over a 500 team this off-season or perhaps next, I won’t be surprised nor sad when Jed is allowed to leave organization. Kenny repeating that Jed didn’t spend his budget last season appears a sign that fans can and should blame Jed on the weak roster development and non competitive teams rather than ownership.

I’ll still attend about 6-15 games this season as I’m still a Cub fan and enjoy Wrigley but no longer a season ticket holder.
Saw that Sharma had an article on Jed and is saying part of this has to do with Hoyer's reluctance to offer these long 10 year deals? Seriously, gtfo with that shit...I'm glad youre not comfortable Jed, so please keep getting garbage reclamations on short deals. That's worked out well.
How long is the Heyward contract going to haunt these guys? Put on your big boy pants and act like a big market team.
(12-12-2022, 09:35 AM)Butcher Wrote: How long is the Heyward contract going to haunt these guys? Put on your big boy pants and act like a big market team.

It’s not the fear of a Heyward contract error haunting the front office, it’s overall lack of resources, cash.  

Hoped that Ricketts would continue to host competitive rosters as his real estate and entertainment media properties and associated strategy are dependent on Cubs being watchable.

Guess the consultants who developed the strategy didn’t mention that risk nor associated costs to remediate that risk
If Christian Vazquez @ 3 years/$30mil is too rich for Jed's blood then he needs to go find himself a nice small market to go hide in and take Carter with him.

Is this Jed or is it Ricketts or both?
Well, Kenney did the local radio circuit last week and made it clear that Jed didn’t spend anywhere close to what was available in his 2022 budget, and that what was left over would be carried forward to 2023 and there would be no limitations this offseason. I think Hoyer is just plain scared to take any risk. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Assuming they wanted him as was reported, not getting Vazquez is fucking ridiculous, that deal is fine. And why didn't they just trade for Murphy, it didn't take that much to get him?? They need to do something major or this offseason is an absolute joke and it's clear they don't want to compete until 2024.
(12-12-2022, 11:52 PM)rok Wrote: Well, Kenney did the local radio circuit last week and made it clear that Jed didn’t spend anywhere close to what was available in his 2022 budget, and that what was left over would be carried forward to 2023 and there would be no limitations this offseason. I think Hoyer is just plain scared to take any risk. Period.

Clapp kind of summed it up perfectly, he's not going to get another opportunity with another team and working scared is going to get him fired anyway when the team sucks so whats the fucking point?
Exactly. And now I'm starting to think the Bellinger deal is dumb. I'm completely flipping on that based on the lack of inaction elsewhere.

I'm going to assume I'm overreacting partly because of the Bulls' loss yesterday and my general irritation at Chicago sports right now, and I'll feel better tomorrow when I realize more is out there including the team's top target. But for now, damnit Cubs.
(12-12-2022, 11:52 PM)rok Wrote: Well, Kenney did the local radio circuit last week and made it clear that Jed didn’t spend anywhere close to what was available in his 2022 budget, and that what was left over would be carried forward to 2023 and there would be no limitations this offseason. I think Hoyer is just plain scared to take any risk. Period.

I missed this. Good lord what is wrong with Jed? Grow a pair, man.