Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Team
Way too early to predict, but why not?

- win total for 2023?

- who should be their top target this off-season?

- playoffs or no?

- who will emerge from the farm system as a 2 WAR player or above? 

- whatever else you wanna talk about…

- I’ll be optimistic and say 86-88 wins

- they should target Correa, and I guess Rodon? No interest at all in Abreu

- unfortunately, 86-88 wins misses the playoffs

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!
82-85 wins, and miss the 2023 playoffs.

Top targets will probably be Senga, Bogaerts and Bellinger.

Next prospect to reach 2 WAR is Mervis.

That is all.
Abreu to the Astros. Interesting. So that's one guy off the board that the Cubs were rumored to be pursuing.

I'm bracing myself for disappointment -- I keep hearing Braves, Giants, and a couple of other teams spending this offseason, but not the Cubs. Of course, nobody really knows anything, so whatever.
Not heartbroken about missing out on Abreu at all. That said, I wouldn't be shocked with another repeat of the 2022 offseason. Definitely expect that we will miss out on all the top tier free agents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the Astros are very good at positioning. Correa's defensive numbers went down last year with the Twins, and without the shift next year, I would be worried that he might not live up to his reputation.
I like you guys a lot.
Cubs will spend intelligently this off-season. Given the number of holes and lack of MLB talent on the roster, management’s unwillingness to “overpay” likely will keep Cubs from signing top tier free agents.

Cubs need to have improvement both in starting pitching and offensive power with the biggest area for improvement being Cubs starting rotation.

Cubs will likely commit to mid and lower tier free agents as Wrigley attendance declines will not be tolerated by ownership so Cubs’ roster should improve marginally and hopefully so should Cubs record. It’s unlikely that these signings will provide the significant improvement in areas the Cubs lack.

No clue if the mid term and lower tier free agent signings will hinder or accelerate the Cubs development to best team in NL Central
Desipio is dragging Ace on twitter a bit. He's been quite the crank for awhile, but it's still kinda odd to see Ace getting the brunt of that.

https://twitter.com/desipiodotcom/status...2xJthZq56A
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
Huh. That is weird. It seems like Desipio has hated the team for a while. I get it — there hasn’t been a lot to like lately, but goddamn, dude…
I had to stop following desipio because the site got way too dark and mean-spirited. And their Pointless Exercise podcast, holy shit, even more miserable than the blog.

(11-30-2022, 11:18 PM)rok Wrote: I had to stop following desipio because the site got way too dark and mean-spirited. And their Pointless Exercise podcast, holy shit, even more miserable than the blog.

At some point you start to wonder why he bothers following the team. It really doesn't seem to bring him much joy... lol
May not bring him joy but may bring him downloads and clicks and so some $. My understanding is that the Cubs following is still one of the largest 7 in baseball.
Swanson as our big signing would be a massive disappointment. He would be 4 out of 4 when it comes to the FA shortstops. Career 95 OPS+ has never gotten on base. Last year was likely a career year.

All of this adds up to mean he’ll be a Cub in 2023.
Man, I forgot how good Hayden Wesneski was after his call up. It'd be great seeing a strong Pole on this team. We could start a tradition of feasting on kielbasa and pierogi on every day he starts.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

(12-01-2022, 11:11 AM)Butcher Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 11:18 PM)rok Wrote: I had to stop following desipio because the site got way too dark and mean-spirited. And their Pointless Exercise podcast, holy shit, even more miserable than the blog.

At some point you start to wonder why he bothers following the team. It really doesn't seem to bring him much joy... lol

(12-01-2022, 08:11 PM)1060Ivy Wrote: May not bring him joy but may bring him downloads and clicks and so some $. My understanding is that the Cubs following is still one of the largest 7 in baseball.
Late to this party, but Desipio is a total douchebag these days.  Used to think he was hilarious, but now it's just talking shit which isn't clever and is just frat boy shit.  Sad he needs the clicks so bad.

We are totally signing one of the SS.  I feel it. I'd take Swanson in a heartbeat, I dont think you can really go wrong with any of them. Would be insane if Jed pulls a yoink and signs Correa/Swanson AND Bogaerts.
Bellinger for 1 year $17.5 million. Seems like a lot, but not my money I guess.