Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Team
Bellinger did hurt his shoulder during 2020 no?

And FUCK the Cardinals, but Willson is more of a DH now. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I’ll miss Willson but glad the Cubs didn’t pay him that money given what his role is becoming.

Please sign Correa, dammit. And Swanson?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

(12-06-2022, 09:18 PM)1060Ivy Wrote: Bellinger signing demonstrates to any other potential free agent that the Cubs are going to spend money this off-season

I don’t expect his bat will return to pre 2019 levels but it’s a one yr deal and as mentioned he plays solid CF and respectable first. Face it the Cubs weren’t getting much offense from these positions last season.

Guessing that Cody will likely play out similarly to Joc Pederson signing with Cubs - a bit of a yawn

(12-07-2022, 02:31 PM)rok Wrote: Bellinger did hurt his shoulder during 2020 no?

And FUCK the Cardinals, but Willson is more of a DH now. Oh well.

He might have, I just know that most of it was attributed to him starting to have a wonky swing.
He hurt his shoulder and had to have surgery in the winter of 2020. It was his non-throwing shoulder, but the theory is it's still impacting his swing. I don't think he drops off the map like that at age 24 after 4 seasons of having an OPS+ between 112 and 164, then suddenly down to 44 if it's not because of that injury. I don't know what else it could be?

Edit: This article actually blames a different injury to his knee. I think it might be flawed in that it doesn't talk about post surgery, only post dislocation, for why the author doesn't think it's the shoulder, but interesting nonetheless.
Bogaerts to the Padres on an 11 year deal.
Other than Correa - who are the remaining offensive sluggers free agents and trade targets for this off season?

Regarding Bellinger, there were 2 distinct injuries. Their combined effects may be leading to his diminished production. The first injury was dislocating his non throwing shoulder while celebrating a homer run during Game 7 of NLCS in 2020 which required surgery. The second injury occurred in first week of 2021 season when he broke his leg during game against the A’s. Neither injury should have affected his 2022 season but clearly his swing and production have changed since the MVP season. Changes to his swing likely have resulted from these injuries
I dont know why everyone is so down on Swanson, he doesn't walk but the guy has the ability to hit 30+ HRs at Wrigley. I prefer Correa, but the anti Swanson stuff is strange to me.
Swanson is a major upgrade to the Cubs roster.

Issue is that he likely provides the least offensive upside and marginal upgrade to replacing Nico at SS. Should likely be looking at his addition vs Madrigal / Morel place in lineup

Just seems like it’s a significant financial commitment required for marginal offensive improvement so Ricketts may have to skimp hosting political fundraising events next season.
(12-08-2022, 09:54 AM)funkster Wrote: I dont know why everyone is so down on Swanson, he doesn't walk but the guy has the ability to hit 30+ HRs at Wrigley.  I prefer Correa, but the anti Swanson stuff is strange to me.

I don't trust his bat. His career OPS+ is 95. He plays excellent defense, and he's better than probably anyone else on our roster right now so I'd absolutely take him. But I don't think he's really a difference maker and not worth a massive blockbuster payday.

But, man -- I don't think the Ricketts/Jed are going to pony up the cash that it'll take to get Correa; not if you have to go over what it took the Padres to land Xander. This market is bonkers. So if it's Swanson or bust, I'm on board with Swanson.
I feel the same Butch, though I'm encouraged by the back-to-back years of 20+ hitting bombs. Strikeouts went up quite a bit though as a result.

I think I'm more concerned about the prospect injuries than anything else, and hope the Cubs will respond by spending more in FA. The farm is deeper now, but it doesn't seem like there are many sure things, and those are never sure anyway.
I was shocked that Xander got 11 years at his age, but then again Preller is a crazy man. In no scenario do I see Jed going more than 6-7 years on any of the remaining free agents (even Correa) plus draft pick compensation, so not quite sure what the plan is to add middle of the order power to this terrible lineup outside of the trade market or bargain bin reclamation projects.

In 2015 we had a shit ton of young talent either already on the roster, or just coming up. We’re nowhere close to that. I can’t see this team being competitive anytime soon.
A few months ago we could have argued that Mervis, Davis and Canario were close to making the team out of spring training, but 2/3 are now hurt and none are considered “can’t miss” prospects, whatever that even means. It’s a different rebuild centered around pitching and defense. With a few shrewd moves, I could see this team overachieve and compete for a wild card spot, but a repeat of 2015-19, going for it every year and having a stacked roster of young power bats seems inconceivable now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is it possible that Jed doesn't know what the fuck he's doing?
Appears likely that Cubs are have another ‘adding a couple pieces to a 200 piece puzzle’ off-season. Front office has seriously underestimated what it would take to sign a premier free agent to a bad roster.

Remember that ‘every season is sacred’ mantra and stress that the Cubs aren’t planning to increase the avg ticket price for Wednesday afternoon games on the third week of April if not playing east coast, west coast teams or NL Central Teams not named Pirates for upper tier seats for “Bronze” games only.