Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Team
BRAD!
There was a report that Vazquez turned down basically the same offer from the Cubs that he took from the Twins. At first I felt better hearing that, at least they did try, but also, how do you not improve it a bit and get it done? Maybe he wanted to stay in the AL...
The FO should've been more upfront about the fact that 2023 will be another rebuilding year. Saying they're going to build a team that will compete for a playoff spot was bullshit from the jump. But I guess it's hard to sell tickets when you tell the truth about the state of the franchise. What a mess.
At least Kenny threw Jed under the bus by stating that Jed has had cash last offseason and just didn’t spend it. Yup, it’s not Kenny and Tom’s fault that the Cubs suck
Someone on Twitter put together a chart that showed (on paper, of course) where teams stacked up in terms of WAR and how much WAR teams would have to add to be considered a threat to make the postseason. He showed the Cubs are 7 WAR away from being in the playoff discussion and that Swanson would likely add ~3 WAR. So...still quite a bit of work to do to even be in the discussion. The Yankees were off the charts in terms of WAR, btw, and the Cubs are light years behind all of the elite teams.
Hosmer DFA'd by the Red Sox. Brace yourselves for another bargain bin pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the Swanson news is true, I feel a lot better. To the point I'd be ok rolling the dice on Hosmer. Smile
Sounds pretty much confirmed. Nick Madrigal, we hardly new ye.
I'm very happy the FO is spending some money, and I know the offseason isn't over yet, but still can't help but feel underwhelmed thus far.

That contract isn’t terrible. It’s basically half of what Correa got (years and $$). Hopefully Jed is looking to add more. This isn’t enough to make us a playoff contender.
None of the remaining free agent bats really scream “this makes us a contender”, but a good start.

(12-17-2022, 11:30 PM)Butcher Wrote: That contract isn’t terrible. It’s basically half of what Correa got (years and $$). Hopefully Jed is looking to add more. This isn’t enough to make us a playoff contender.

Not a playoff contender but Swanson improves the roster.  He should provide gold glove quality defense and an average MLB bat for years.
(12-17-2022, 11:30 PM)Butcher Wrote: That contract isn’t terrible. It’s basically half of what Correa got (years and $$). Hopefully Jed is looking to add more. This isn’t enough to make us a playoff contender.

Swanson is half the player
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Maybe so, but it appears the giants have canceled his presser after something came up in his physical.

That's always been the #1 concern with Correa. Great player who has trouble staying on the field. Only 2 "full" seasons out of 8 so far.