Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Team
I don’t trust Fulmer in high leverage roles at all.
https://theathletic.com/4873029/2023/09/...-collapse/
Now the Reds are tied with us for the last Wild Card spot. They really fucked themselves the last 10 games. Those Rockies games, in particular...and not being able to win a single game against the worst D'Backs pitchers. I'm trying to tell myself that I had very low expectations coming into the season. But they had a 4 game lead for the second Wild Card spot after sweeping the Giants and FanGraphs had them with over a 90% chance of getting into the postseason. Now it's essentially a coin flip.
Yeah, the recent turn of events is depressing, no matter how you slice it. Although expectations were low across the board going in, they did manage to succeed in getting our hopes up. While it's not over yet, most signs are pointing to this going down as a cock-tease of a season.

This team actually reminds me a lot of the Bulls the last couple years: They'll go toe to toe with the best teams, yet often struggle against the shittier opponents when it should be a cakewalk, and they don't come out on top as often as they should in the more even matchups either. They have star-power and put on a show from time to time, but at the end of the day, they just aren't consistent enough, deep enough, or well-managed enough to be a a real competitor.

But as funkster so eloquently said in the game day thread: what are you gonna do...

They certainly played above expectations, and there were undoubtedly some fun stretches, no matter what happens from here. I was entertained...and it's not over yet.
The problem right now is this: people want to compare this team to 2015 -- like this is a bridge season to something great. I don't see what will take the team to the next level. In 2015 it was obvious; we had an almost embarrassing amount of young talent that was entering their prime. Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Russell, plus several Cy Young-worthy starters (Lester, Jake, Hendricks). They added Heyward in the offseason, which looked like a brilliant move (obviously didn't pan out as we hoped, but he gave us amazing defense and leadership) and brought back Fowler. You could point to how exactly they could make a legit World Series run.

I know the minor league system is highly rated now, but it isn't anything like what it was back in 2015. PCA looks like an elite CF, but his bat doesn't look close to ready. Canario? Who knows. We don't really have a 3B or a 1B. The rotation is solid, if unspectacular (minus Steele -- but he's almost 28 already). The bullpen is kind of a mess, but a lot of that is due to injuries. I'm simply not feeling the optimism I had in 2015 -- not even close.

If they can get over this hurdle and overcome the horrific road trip, then I'll be thrilled. I hope they can beat up on the Pirates and Rockies and maybe even sweep one of these series. We'll see...
Despite the last couple weeks, the team has performed much better than expected. Seems like most of improvement can be tied to Bellinger plus better than expected performances in bullpen and starters. I don’t believe Bellinger will be a Cub next season but hoping that some starters and bullpen can provide bridge for next season
6 games remain and Cubs still in Wildcard

3 games against 2 division leading and playoff clinched teams - Braves and Brewers.

Braves already clinching both division and playoff so hope they just phone in these 3 games.
If there’s any sort of silver lining to falling flat it’s hopefully Jed finally giving up on the David Ross experience.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
At the start of the season I said I just wanted the Cubs to be playing meaningful baseball at the end of the season. They only played 1 game that didn't matter. Well, 1 and a third I suppose. So despite the collapse it was a really fun season. I think if Adbert had stayed healthy down the stretch, we likely win 1-2 more games and make the playoffs.
(10-02-2023, 01:38 PM)MrSheps Wrote: At the start of the season I said I just wanted the Cubs to be playing meaningful baseball at the end of the season. They only played 1 game that didn't matter. Well, 1 and a third I suppose. So despite the collapse it was a really fun season. I think if Adbert had stayed healthy down the stretch, we likely win 1-2 more games and make the playoffs.

Overall it was a fun season, but the last 20 or so games were excruciating. Some of the worst baseball and worst managing I've seen.

I agree, however, if the bullpen was healthy we likely sneak into the playoffs.