Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Folks and Guests... Please Read
This is linked above in the Nav Bar, but I don't believe it hurts to see it in another place:

<b>Board Guidelines and SOI Rules</b>

These aren't really rules. We don't really have rules here at Sons of Ivy. Ok, well we have two (no posting NSFW material directly, you can do it through links; and no copying and pasting entire articles, you can post snippets and links).

But that out of the way, there are basically no rules. Sons of Ivy started several years ago as a private board, created by a group of friends who were looking for a different kind of Cubs message board. One that wasn't overrun by idiots who couldn't string together a coherent thought, and one that wasn't overrun by tyrant moderators who cry about "swear" words and "personal attacks." Fuck that.

Thus, Sons of Ivy was born. And for years, we operated our little private message board. But now we're ready to take things public. Mostly.

So as I said: this isn't about rules. These are just guidelines, and they're as much for you as they are for us. The group of posters we have are, without a doubt, the funniest, most knowledgeable Cubs posters anywhere on the 'net. We're really proud of that, and we want to keep it that way. Not because we're elitist douchebags, but because that's what makes this place so great to us. And you.

So consider these guidelines before you jump right in. We'd love to have you as part of our community, but first impressions - just like in the real world - can be really hard to shake.

<b>First Things First</b>
  • Be yourself. If you're not the type of person to be wildly out there, don't be. You'll probably get more shit for being a tall-tale-teller than for being relatively tame.
  • Have a modestly thick skin. At one point or another, everyone gets ripped on here, to some extent. Be prepared to weather through it. How you respond will make a huge difference in how long the ribbing continues and to what extent.
  • This is an adult site, so if you're not cool with f-bombs, boobs and taints, you're probably not going to be very comfortable here. Just sayin'.
<b>Posting in the Baseball Forum (The Friendly Confines)</b>
  • First and foremost, this is a Cubs fansite. 99% of the people here are Cubs fans. So if you're not a Cubs fan, accept that this place has a very strong Cubs bias.
  • Check for other threads that have already broken a story or stated an opinion first. While the same topic will come up in multiple threads, there are some who have a very short fuse with duplicate threads. In short, read first, post second.
  • If you're espousing an opinion that bucks the "common opinion" of the board, be ready to defend it.
  • Try to stay away from trade talk that may happen only in video game world. If it's unlikely to happen, it's probably a good idea to refrain from bringing up the topic, unless it's stated as a "In a perfect world" type of post.
  • Try to type in well written, spelled, and grammatically-correct sentences. We don't really care, but if you don't, the impression you create is that you're a dumb ass.
<b>Posting in the Game Thread Forum</b>
  • Each game will have a thread. All conversation for that game is generally kept within the thread, except in the case of a home run. Home runs (for the Cubs that is) usually generate a couple of other threads.
  • Each thread is a work of art. More knee-jerk reactions and emotions flare up in the game thread than any other part of the board. If you want to blow a gasket, do it there.
  • Just about every game has one person that kinda dictates each inning. If someone is already doing it, there's little reason for you to do it too.
<b>Miscellaneous</b>
  • A lot of us are drama queens. Bunch of fucking puffers actually.
  • If/when things get a little heated, keep family and personal things out of it.
  • Despite the relative freedom of speech of the place, know that there is a very short leash for homophobic and racist posts. We're not into the whole censoring thing, but know that you will very quickly get bashed if you are to dabble on that side of things.
  • Butcher is responsible for most of the avatars. If you want one, you'll have to ask him very kindly to come out of retirement. He's capable of being talked into it through sexual favors.
  • We have a boatload of custom emoticons. Most of them have a story behind them. Use them in your posts as you would condiments on a sandwich.
  • Everyone here is typecast into a personality type. Stick around long enough and you will be, too. Accept it and do whatever you can to perpetuate that you are that generic personality type we believe you to be.
  • If you see something written that pissed you off, take it with a grain of salt. Most of the people here are so full of shit, it's unbelievable.
  • Humor is highly, highly valued here. But don't force it.
I got nothin'.

Andy
Newbies, if you have any questions about our history just respond. Just so you know, SOI has been around for almost 4 years. Most members came over from Inside the Ivy way back then. The board we are posting on is about one week old. We moved here to update the software and add new features, not to mention go public.
I'll tell you where you can stick your fucking rules.....
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/emu.gif[/img]

Holy motherfuck. So, SOI went public, eh? I haven't been able to handle ITI . . . well--realistically--ever, but visiting there the last two years has been the discursive equivalent of wading in a kiddie pool populated by lobotomized wombats and filled with urine--<b>Hector Villanueva</b> urine.

I never really bothered begging for membership here because I thought that it required some hazing, you know, answering impossible questions from the ITI days, like "What witty rejoinder did FlyKing pwn xcubsx with on November 27th, 2004 at 11.21 pm CST?" I probably coulda came up with an educated guess, tho. Something to do with a bag of donkey dicks. Am I right?

So tell me, does getting banned by Steve Holley for something you didn't even do get you one free interpost here or what?

Glad to see the Butcher again.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=18223:date=Feb 16 2009, 11:37 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Feb 16 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Holy motherfuck. So, SOI went public, eh? I haven't been able to handle ITI . . . well--realistically--ever, but visiting there the last two years has been the discursive equivalent of wading in a kiddie pool populated by lobotomized wombats and filled with urine--<b>Hector Villanueva</b> urine.

I never really bothered begging for membership here because I thought that it required some hazing, you know, answering impossible questions from the ITI days, like "What witty rejoinder did FlyKing pwn xcubsx with on November 27th, 2004 at 11.21 pm CST?" I probably coulda came up with an educated guess, tho. Something to do with a bag of donkey dicks. Am I right?

So tell me, does getting banned by Steve Holley for something you didn't even do get you one free interpost here or what?

Glad to see the Butcher again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Welcome. Post freely.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=18223:date=Feb 16 2009, 11:37 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Feb 16 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Holy motherfuck. So, SOI went public, eh? I haven't been able to handle ITI . . . well--realistically--ever, but visiting there the last two years has been the discursive equivalent of wading in a kiddie pool populated by lobotomized wombats and filled with urine--<b>Hector Villanueva</b> urine.

Glad to see the Butcher again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what was your handle at ITI?
That was a great first post.
I am ready to vote this guy in right now. That was awesome.
<!--quoteo(post=18377:date=Feb 17 2009, 02:17 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 17 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That was a great first post.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Up until the "glad to see Butcher again" part, I agree.
<!--quoteo(post=18376:date=Feb 17 2009, 03:11 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Feb 17 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->what was your handle at ITI?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I was mainly a lurker early on, but I originally posted under AnotherBiscuitForBreakfast (a nod to Harry Carry's "If he ate another biscuit for breakfast, that would be a home run" call on long fly outs). That was, until I was banned for supposedly being a previously banned poster (June Swoon?) writing under a new moniker--which I was not--and picking on xcubsx--which I was, but only in the spirit of board razzing and following the own example he set.

So fuck him, anyway (incidentally, I believe he's reggieslovechild over at ITI now).

When I moved to Columbus, Ohio, from Chicago in late 2005, I re-upped under the "VanSlaw" name I'm using now. This was just in time to witness the SOI invasion of ITI around the holidays that year. That was the highlight of the entire goddamned universe, btw.

And, that, dear readers, is my Hallmark Channel movie: "Board Beyond Belief." [Get it?!]

Glad to be here; I feel I'm home. Looking forward to the season and the Cubs bringing back mighty Miguel Cairo to back up Ramirez, and . . . wait . . .

CRAP.
--Veryzer

Nothing will ruin your day like Miguel Cairo signing elsewhere.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=18485:date=Feb 17 2009, 06:58 PM:name=cigar)-->QUOTE (cigar @ Feb 17 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I am ready to vote this guy in right now. That was awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is this vote you speak of?
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
XcubsX is here my friend...or at least he was...
he said "harry carry." it's time for him to go.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=18654:date=Feb 18 2009, 08:17 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Feb 18 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->he said "harry carry." it's time for him to go.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, shame on me. I misspelled his name, putting a second "r" intead of the second "a". Of course I meant Haray Carry.
--Veryzer