Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread
I have my first dilemma of the fantasy season...

For some reason the same guy in both of my leagues dropped Max Scherzer to pick up Anthony Reyes. In one of the leagues it was easy to find a pitcher to drop to pick him up but I'm struggling in the other league. Should I drop either Gil Meche or Hiroki Kuroda to pick up Scherzer? I'd be using a waiver claim - do you think Scherzer is clearly better than one of those guys to use the waiver claim?
Depends on the rest of your rotation. Meche and Kuroda are more proven commodities and far more likely to spend the entire season in the rotation but neither is likely to break out and have a big year.. Scherzer on the other hand could be the next Lincecum or he could only spend half the season in the rotation.

FWIW CHONE, Zips and other prognostication sites all have Scherzer projected in the 100 IP range..
Yeah really its kind of impossible to say. Kuroda and Meche are definitely safer. Scherzer is a big strikeout guy and will probably have a low ERA, but he has never thrown more than 109 innings in a year at any level in his life, he throws a ton of pitches and he isn't guaranteed to stay in the rotation. A lot of people think he will eventually end up a late reliever.
So you think he's going to be on some sort of an innings limit? I didn't really think of that.

The rest of my rotation (Should be pretty solid I think):

Halladay
Haren
Shields
Greinke
Baker
Meche
Kuroda
What kind of scoring and format?
<!--quoteo(post=25157:date=Mar 26 2009, 10:43 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 26 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What kind of scoring and format?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Head to head, W, K, SV, ERA, WHIP.
Your top 4 SPs are so solid, I think I might take a risk on Scherzer rather than staying safe.
Yeah, you go 5 strong in your rotation before even getting to Kuroda and Meche so you can probably afford to take the risk. Even if Scherzer ends up in the pen he should be a very good reliever and will still help you...

As for who to drop, Kuroda has been insane in ST and was recently named the Opening Day starter.. I think he'll be pretty good this year.. I'm obviously biased... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush.gif[/img]
I'd take a chance on Scherzer. He may not start, and he may not get many innings, but they'll definitely be quality innings, and even if he winds up in the pen, could vulture some wins.
Thanks guys. Other than Gad's (biased) opinion on keeping Kuroda, which would you drop? I'm strongly leaning towards Kuroda, due to his inferior K totals.
Yeah its close, but I'd drop Kuroda, Meche has had 2 real nice seasons in a row and strikes out a lot more guys.
I'd take Meche over both of them in a heartbeat.
@TheBlogfines
I'd probably take Meche over Kuroda because of the K's.. but I really do think Kuroda will have a big year...
Alright guys, this may seem like a stupid question. I am in a 5X5 roto league with the traditional cats except we have OBP instead of AVG. Now, I messed up my draft and did not get a guy to back up 1st and 3rd. Blalock is on the wire and is eligible at both spots. Would you drop Carlos Villanueva to pick him up? I drafted Villanueva for the possibility of some cheap saves at the beginning of the year with Hoffman hurt, but it does not look like he is going to get them.

Again, i think this should be a no brainer considering Blalock is projected to bat 4th or 5th in that lineup.
Who would be the best RP? Basic 10x10 Roto league:K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP. Jose Arredondo, Dan wheeler, Chad Cordero, or Kevin Gregg?
[Image: lou.jpg]