Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cards apparently get Holliday
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Athletics and Cardinals have completed a trade that sends outfielder Matt Holliday to St. Louis in exchange for third baseman Brett Wallace, outfielder Shane Peterson and right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen, sources confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In addition, sources said the Athletics will throw in $1.5 million to the Cardinals.

Holliday, 29, is eligible for free agency after this season, and has had a lackluster season overall with the Athletics, hitting .287 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs.

But he has hit well this month, batting .344 with a .421 on-base percentage, and one scout who has seen him play said Tuesday that Holliday is swinging the bat as well now as he has all year. The Cardinals have been searching for a way to upgrade their offense to build some lineup protection for first baseman Albert Pujols.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=51637:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:16 AM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Jul 24 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Athletics and Cardinals have completed a trade that sends outfielder Matt Holliday to St. Louis in exchange for third baseman Brett Wallace, outfielder Shane Peterson and right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen, sources confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In addition, sources said the Athletics will throw in $1.5 million to the Cardinals.

Holliday, 29, is eligible for free agency after this season, and has had a lackluster season overall with the Athletics, hitting .287 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs.

But he has hit well this month, batting .344 with a .421 on-base percentage, and one scout who has seen him play said Tuesday that Holliday is swinging the bat as well now as he has all year. The Cardinals have been searching for a way to upgrade their offense to build some lineup protection for first baseman Albert Pujols.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well that's just fucking swell. great great day to be a cub fan.
Wang.
Sweet. Any other kick-in-the-nuts type news for me today?
<!--quoteo(post=51640:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:26 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 24 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sweet. Any other kick-in-the-nuts type news for me today?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, pcb just ordered his matt holliday jersey to go with his buerhle one.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=51640:date=Jul 24 2009, 10:26 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 24 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sweet. Any other kick-in-the-nuts type news for me today?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a perfect game yesterday......
I really don't think this makes them much better.
<!--quoteo(post=51644:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:28 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 24 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't think this makes them much better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think it does. lackluster or not, he has 52 rbi and now he's back in the national league where he's more familiar. he makes them better.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=51644:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:28 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 24 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't think this makes them much better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If he continues to hit like he has with the A's, I agree. But I think this change is going to light a spark. I hate this deal.
The Lugo trade didn't bother me as I thought they actually got worse, however, this trade has the possibility to be really good for them. I guess we'll see.
I got nothin'.

Andy

It might not make them a whole lot better, but it does make them better. They now probably have the best 3-4-5 in the NL Central now that Ludwick has started hitting like he did last year. This will improve their offense and right now their pitching isn't a joke either.

However, hopefully Carpenter gets a staph infection in his arm and it fucking falls off!

Fuck the Cards, Fuck the Sox, Fuck Buerhle, and Fuck everything not related to the Cubs! FUCK!!
Bleh. I get back from Barcelona last night after going baseball-less for over a week and I come home to this and fucking Buerlhe.
See, here's the thing, I don't see there being a huge difference between a lineup with Holliday in it as opposed to a lineup with him replacing Ankiel/Rasmus/Ludwick/Duncan. There's now 4 starting OFers for 3 spots, LaRussa is gonna get them all PT. I really don't see Holliday as much of an upgrade of any of those guys, individually. He makes them better, without a doubt, but he doesn't drastically change the makeup of the team, the way the lineup will be constructed, or anything like that.

BTW, more importantly, this probably means the Cards won't be adding any SP.
<!--quoteo(post=51651:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:35 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jul 24 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=51644:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:28 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 24 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't think this makes them much better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It might not make them a whole lot better, but it does make them better. They now probably have the best 3-4-5 in the NL Central now that Ludwick has started hitting like he did last year. This will improve their offense and right now their pitching isn't a joke either.

However, hopefully Carpenter gets a staph infection in his arm and it fucking falls of!

Fuck the Cards, Fuck the Sox, Fuck Buerhle, and Fuck everything not related to the Cubs! FUCK!!
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Fall of what?

"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=51653:date=Jul 24 2009, 12:37 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 24 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->See, here's the thing, I don't see there being a huge difference between a lineup with Holliday in it as opposed to a lineup with him replacing Ankiel/Rasmus/Ludwick/Duncan. There's now 4 starting OFers for 3 spots, LaRussa is gonna get them all PT. I really don't see Holliday as much of an upgrade of any of those guys, individually. He makes them better, without a doubt, but he doesn't drastically change the makeup of the team, the way the lineup will be constructed, or anything like that.

BTW, more importantly, this probably means the Cards won't be adding any SP.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think the Holiday is a big upgrade over the past lineup that included Ankiel or Duncan.
They go from a mid 600-OPS guy to a mid-800 OPS one.
<!--quoteo(post=51653:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:37 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 24 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->BTW, more importantly, this probably means the Cards won't be adding any SP.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think that's the more important point. I'd be much more scared of them if they added Halladay instead.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher