Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cards apparently get Holliday
If they weren't the favorite to win the Central yesterday, they are today. I think this trade puts them over the top.
I still think we have the better team if we played up to our capabilities. Thats a big IF though.

The Cards always get the most out of their pitching, so I dont like them adding a hitter.
<!--quoteo(post=51656:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:39 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Jul 24 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=51653:date=Jul 24 2009, 12:37 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 24 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->See, here's the thing, I don't see there being a huge difference between a lineup with Holliday in it as opposed to a lineup with him replacing Ankiel/Rasmus/Ludwick/Duncan. There's now 4 starting OFers for 3 spots, LaRussa is gonna get them all PT. I really don't see Holliday as much of an upgrade of any of those guys, individually. He makes them better, without a doubt, but he doesn't drastically change the makeup of the team, the way the lineup will be constructed, or anything like that.

BTW, more importantly, this probably means the Cards won't be adding any SP.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think the Holiday is a big upgrade over the past lineup that included Ankiel or Duncan.
They go from a mid 600-OPS guy to a mid-800 OPS one.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, and he'll probably do better than that too. This blows.
<!--quoteo(post=51660:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:43 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Jul 24 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still think we have the better team if we played up to our capabilities. Thats a big IF though.

The Cards always get the most out of their pitching, so I dont like them adding a hitter.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree for the most part, but this might be one of those deals that gives the Cards a confidence boost, unlike the DeRosa trade. Let's face it, this isn't about just Holliday. They've added two 20+ HR everyday ballplayers in recent weeks, so that can't be good for us.

If our pussy ass players would just get completely healthy and stop performing at their career worst levels, then we would be ok. It's pretty hard to imagine the stars aligning for us though all of a sudden after everything that's happened so far this year.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->ESPN.com is reporting that the Cardinals have acquired outfielder Matt Holliday for top prospect Brett Wallace and two other minor leaguers. 24-year-old right-hander Clayton Mortensen and outfielder Shane Peterson, a second-rounder in 2008, are the "other minor leaguers." The A's will throw in $1.5 million to help cover the $6 million remaining on Holliday's current deal, but they're clearly the big winners in this trade. Protection for Albert Pujols is nice, and is important, but at what cost? Wallace boasts a major-league ready bat and the other two appear destined for nice big league careers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thos aparrently cost them 2 more prospects, seems kinda steep to me. They'll get 2 picks back if the offer arbitration though.
Yeah, I can't imagine he'd sign a long-term deal with the Cards and pass on the FA market. That's too much to give up and pretty much depletes their system for a few years.

Here's to hoping for an injury to one of their starting 8 that nullifies this trade.
<!--quoteo(post=51681:date=Jul 24 2009, 10:43 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 24 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, I can't imagine he'd sign a long-term deal with the Cards and pass on the FA market. That's too much to give up and pretty much depletes their system for a few years.

Here's to hoping for an injury to one of their starting 8 that nullifies this trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking of which, what the hell happened with DeRosa? One minute I'm hearing his wrist injury might knock him out for possibly the rest of the year. Then all of a sudden he's back in this week, and hit three home runs against Houston. Not that it did much good.
Just pretend that Ankiel got good again, and the Cards lost their best prospect. It's easier that way.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Isn't Holliday a Boras client? No way he doesn't test the FA market.
<!--quoteo(post=51660:date=Jul 24 2009, 11:43 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Jul 24 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still think we have the better team if we played up to our capabilities. Thats a big IF though.

The Cards always get the most out of their pitching, so I dont like them adding a hitter.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep. The Cubs still <i>should</i> win the division. I'm not saying I necessarily think it's going to happen, but it's their division to lose.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=51682:date=Jul 24 2009, 12:50 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Jul 24 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=51681:date=Jul 24 2009, 10:43 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 24 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, I can't imagine he'd sign a long-term deal with the Cards and pass on the FA market. That's too much to give up and pretty much depletes their system for a few years.

Here's to hoping for an injury to one of their starting 8 that nullifies this trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking of which, what the hell happened with DeRosa? One minute I'm hearing his wrist injury might knock him out for possibly the rest of the year. Then all of a sudden he's back in this week, and hit three home runs against Houston. Not that it did much good.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
DeRosa needs off season surgery, I'd say there's a pretty good chance (like Ramirez with the Cubs) that he's gonna again miss time in the 2nd half due the injury.
<!--quoteo(post=51685:date=Jul 24 2009, 12:51 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 24 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just pretend that Ankiel got good again, and the Cards lost their best prospect. It's easier that way.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, that's sorta goes along with what I said earlier. Clearly adding Holliday to a team makes that team better. However, adding him doesn't drastically change the way the lineup will be setup or the way the Cardinals overall team is. LaRussa will juggle the lineup to get all 4 of their potential OF starters PT. So at some points he'll be replacing Ludwick in the lineup, other days it will be Rasmus out, and some days it will Ankiel out. On the days when Ankiel is out of the lineup, the lineup will be better, on the days when Rasmus or Ludwick are out, I don't see too big of a difference actually. Obviously the bench gets deeper though.
I don't think they offer arbitration. I read that he could get upwards of 16 million and that is something the Cards won't give him from everything I've read.
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=51713:date=Jul 24 2009, 01:18 PM:name=Baron)-->QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 24 2009, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think they offer arbitration. I read that he could get upwards of 16 million and that is something the Cards won't give him from everything I've read.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Which would make the trade extremely lopsided (provided the Cards don't win the WS).
God dammit this is a huge deal for the Cardinals. With him and Ludwick now teams are forced to pitch to Pujols as well. He's smoking the ball this month too.

And the Cards' schedule the rest of the way is a joke. This is not good.
@TheBlogfines