Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z to the Pen
<!--quoteo(post=91721:date=Apr 21 2010, 03:56 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Apr 21 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->PWSullivan

Lou says move of Z to bullpen may not be temporary. "This makes all the sense in the world."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Of course Sullivan loves this move.
<!--quoteo(post=91720:date=Apr 21 2010, 03:56 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 21 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=91712:date=Apr 21 2010, 03:54 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Apr 21 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lou says this may not be a temporary thing<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lou says 'fucking magnets. how do they work?'
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/shakehead.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=91756:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:23 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 21 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=91754:date=Apr 21 2010, 04:20 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Apr 21 2010, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Does anyone remember when Billy Martin put Dave Righetti in the pen...when Righetti was a top starter?

Lou was with the Yankees then...smacks of the same thing.

I hate the move...unless it works.

The 7th and 8th are an infernal mess right now.

Just asking...do you like it, if it works?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love it if it works.

It won't fucking work.
That's where I'm at. I love the idea of a dominant Z-type pitcher in the bullpen, I do. I just don't think Z is that guy mentally, and I don't like messing with a rotation that is about tops in the league as it is.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
As has been noted, Z is mercurial. He's not the steady visage of unflappable calm inheriting runners in middle innings demands.

As has been noted, Z takes a while to settle down. Middle relievers do not have a while.

As has been noted, Z has been pitching well and his array of pitches is suited to six innings, not two.

If this goes well, how does he get out of the pen?

If this goes badly, what do we get back from the pen?

Incredibly, the news of a player going to the bullpen pisses me off so much more than all of our horrible, horrible losses so far this year. God do I hate this team.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=91763:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:27 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 21 2010, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As has been noted, Z is mercurial. He's not the steady visage of unflappable calm inheriting runners in middle innings demands.

As has been noted, Z takes a while to settle down. Middle relievers do not have a while.

As has been noted, Z has been pitching well and his array of pitches is suited to six innings, not two.

If this goes well, how does he get out of the pen?

If this goes badly, what do we get back from the pen?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bingo
I just read somewhere else that Bruce Levine said it could be just be something where he would pitch out of the pen between starts instead of side sessions. But I haven't seen that anywhere else, so I'm not sure if it's even a possibility.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
Very smaller note, but we also have our "extra" pinch-hitter for much less. Not that he ever seems to do anything in those PH appearances anyway, but just saying.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=91766:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:30 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Apr 21 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just read somewhere else that Bruce Levine said it could be just be something where he would pitch out of the pen between starts instead of side sessions. But I haven't seen that anywhere else, so I'm not sure if it's even a possibility.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wouldn't that limit him to short stints like a LOOGY?
<!--quoteo(post=91767:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:31 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 21 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Very smaller note, but we also have our "extra" pinch-hitter for much less. Not that he ever seems to do anything in those PH appearances anyway, but just saying.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We all know that one day he'll hit a walk off bomb. It'll come sooner or later.
Even if this does work. Even if he is lights out in the pen it does not mean this was the right move. A good starting pitcher is many times over more valuable than a good reliever. We just took 200+ innings out of our rotation. GREAT MOVE!
<!--quoteo(post=91770:date=Apr 21 2010, 04:33 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 21 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=91767:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:31 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 21 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Very smaller note, but we also have our "extra" pinch-hitter for much less. Not that he ever seems to do anything in those PH appearances anyway, but just saying.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We all know that one day he'll hit a walk off bomb. It'll come sooner or later.

I'd rather have that bat on the bench on days he's not starting than done for the day because Marmol's pitched the top of the inning.

I guess it couldn't hurt move Z to SS for the top of the 9th.
<!--quoteo(post=91772:date=Apr 21 2010, 04:34 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Apr 21 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Even if this does work. Even if he is lights out in the pen it does not mean this was the right move. A good starting pitcher is many times over more valuable than a good reliever. We just took 200+ innings out of our rotation. GREAT MOVE!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly.

Do we really want to give Silva and Gorz 140 more innings a piece than Z?
Taking a top 15 or so pitcher of the decade, that consistently throws 180 IP a season, that was part of a staff that led the league in QS last year and shipping him to the pen makes no sense, even it he does well there.
<!--quoteo(post=91775:date=Apr 21 2010, 04:36 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 21 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=91772:date=Apr 21 2010, 04:34 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Apr 21 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Even if this does work. Even if he is lights out in the pen it does not mean this was the right move. A good starting pitcher is many times over more valuable than a good reliever. We just took 200+ innings out of our rotation. GREAT MOVE!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly.

Do we really want to give Silva and Gorz 140 more innings a piece than Z?

You guys already tape this week's B&I?

I'm looking forward to penning tomorrow night's Cubs Report.