Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Cubs
Looks like it’s time.
Some questions for offseason:

How do Cubs replace Bellinger’s 2023 production?

Can Cubs dramatically increase offense from 1st and 3rd base?

Will Cubs sign and label a closer in offseason?

Can Cubs find, develop, sign “clutch” hitters?

Can Cubs cut down on unearned runs? For team built around sound defense, Cubs gave up third most unearned runs in baseball last season. While advanced defensive stats, note Cubs defense is top 5-10 in baseball, they gave up lots of unearned runs - could be simply due to pitching to contact staff leads to more opportunities for balls in play so more error opportunities?
Comparing the Cubs roster to the Braves/Dodgers, I’m not sure how they close the talent gap. They’re both so far ahead that it seems impossible.

They almost have to bring Bellinger back. He was their best offensive player and it wasn’t really close. Losing him would leave a huge black hole. The bullpen definitely needs to be addressed, but I don’t see them spending money there. Do they try to bring Candelario back? Who plays 1B?

Your question about unearned runs is interesting. Yeah, you’re probably right that the pitching staff throws more grounders/fly balls than most teams, leading to more opportunities for errors.

It’s amazing how poorly they played down the stretch when just going 9-11 instead of 6-14 would’ve secured a playoff spot.
Just to add sleet to a rainy day - yes, it’s a sunny day but I’m working up my glum mood for next Bears debacle, Cubs should plan for regression to norm for several key players who truly shined at times during 2023 including:

- Gomes - Mr Clutch produced at what is likely a career year while being ancient. He’s currently 36
- Bellinger - you can’t plan for him to produce at MVP level for months at a time
- Tauchman - amazing season - offensively and defensively- for a MLB journeyman
- Alozlay - Cubs winning record % while he was closer was crazy good something above 600. If he’s healthy Cubs would have made playoffs. No clue how badly injured he is but just wouldn’t expect same level of performance for next season
- Stroman - Marcus’ performance was a take of 2 seasons - pre London trip and post London trip. Just don’t rely on him being able to capture Cy Young performance of pre London season for 2024

There’s still great performances from 2023 that Cubs should build from for 2024 including players like Steele, Horner, Swanson, Assad, Suzuki, etc but fans should be prepared for regression to mean for several players

Regarding comparing Cubs roster to Braves/Dodgers, they aren’t close nor will they be comparable to those rosters for some time but Cubs made some great improvements over last couple seasons.

Hopefully Cubs will continue to commit resources and get development from minors and players on current roster to close some of the gaps with those organizations and the NL Central winning Brewers
Based on Ricketts comments doesn’t sound like Ross is going anywhere anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I saw that. It's too bad. I love Rossy for 2016, but he isn't a good in-game manager at all. I suspect the players really like him, though, for whatever that's worth.
Ross’ in game decisions have made a number of Cub fans scratching their heads but his players seem to work well together and want to play for him

Please in 2024, no more bunts from your best contact hitters to move a baserunner over to scoring position.
The way he used Crow-Armstrong down the stretch was absolutely baffling.
(10-02-2023, 05:36 PM)Butcher Wrote: The way he used Crow-Armstrong down the stretch was absolutely baffling.

Canario as well. Dude hits a grand slam in what was one of our last big wins, and then we don't see him for days. Dexter Fowler even called out Ross the next game saying the kid was ready to go on a run and should be in the starting lineup. 

I reeeeeaaaally hope they fire him, but won't be shocked to see them run it back again.
He’s not going anywhere.

I've accepted this.
I just don't understand how they truly believe he's a good manager. A good clubhouse presence, sure...but a good manager? It takes more than that to win games.

But yeah, I just need to accept this as well, despite how mind-boggling it is to me.
A good manager in game decisions are supposedly only worth a handful of additional wins

Of course, the 2023 Cubs missed playoffs by a couple of wins
(10-03-2023, 07:01 PM)1060Ivy Wrote: A good manager in game decisions are supposedly only worth a handful of additional wins

Of course, the 2023 Cubs missed playoffs by a couple of wins

Ha, exactly, my man.

Optimal lineup construction can snag a couple more W's as well, if not more.  
I really feel the value of a smart manager is underrated in general, but we can't have everything in life, eh?
I’m not looking forward to hearing the nickname Rossy for another year tbh