Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Cubs
https://x.com/cubs/status/17241439881757...C4yd5YSYwA

Anyone ever think Counsell wears one size too big a hat?

Anyway, let’s go Cubs off-season this shit is exciting.
None of Counsell’s clothes seem to fit him right.
The 3 "prospects" the FO moved to the 40-man yesterday to protect them from the Rule 5 draft are kinda shitty, so wondering how long the roster stays full. Bailey fucking Horn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're about to trade for Soto.
(11-15-2023, 04:27 PM)Butcher Wrote: We're about to trade for Soto.

Not seeing anything, was there a report out there?

Edit, lol or are you replying to Rok?

I was also going to ask the same thing. Love Soto, but does anyone really want to give up the farm for one year of him? We aren't extending him.

Guy looks legit but never heard of him

https://x.com/mikedeportes/status/172523...93840?s=46

Tiring of Ohtani to Cubs talk - would love it to happen but just don’t see Cubs spending for him and then spending for starting pitching, bullpen, third/first base holes on roster.

Could Cubs sign him? Probably but would likely require a healthy premium over Dodgers/Giants offers. The short term reset contract would be nice to ponder but guessing that Ohtani will receives offers in excess of $450 MM as is so no need to take a $40 - 55 MM reset one year or $100 - 125 MM 2 year deal which have been mentioned

In addition, could imagine $50 MM per year being spent on 2-3 decent to great players even for this free agent pool/trade candidates rather than 1 MVP who’s limited for first year of contract.
True, but keep in mind Ohtani is probably the best baseball player in history and an organizational changer. The value of having “the unicorn” on your team is simply not measured with the same ruler as any other player in MLB at the moment, no matter how good, both sporting wise and business wise.

TV viewership, merch sales, international club popularity (Japan), etc. should make the financials of his potential contract work out.

I don’t think going for him deters the Cubs from pursuing any other clear need. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and looks like the Cubs are serious about it.

Again, this off-season is incredibly exciting for the future of the team. Feels like Theo’s original WS run with Maddon, Lester, Heyward, etc.

On a related note, Yamamoto has been officially posted. Cubs have been connected too.

Imagine the Cubs business in Japan with Seiya, Ohtani, and Yamamoto on the same team.

Let’s bring them.
Literally a unicorn. I am thrilled they’re apparently going all out for him.

It's possible he's never a starting pitcher again, though. And if he isn't, you're paying $40M a year for a really good DH.
If he wasn't going into his age 30 season I'd be ok with that. Not so sure he's going to give you even 5 elite seasons out of the 10 or whatever years he'll be guaranteed though. If he can still pitch then it's a totally different calculus.

Absolutely agree.
A really good DH? The guy is arguably the best hitter in baseball.

His 2023 was insanely good — his best offensive season by a pretty wide margin. Not to mention his pitching. He’ll be 29 in 2024 and unable to pitch. And his decline is probably not far away as he’s close to 30. Whoever pays him will likely get 3-4 elite seasons and then 5+ seasons of a financial anchor on their payroll. If he helps that team win a World Series, then it’s worth it. If not…