Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Cubs
I think Shaw is ..is he my biggest hope for the everyday future out of Cubs position player prospects? Maybe. He might just actually be.

Glad baseball is back!
Shaw is interesting and his bat seems like it could be a force one day. He was won award for best college SS and has played 2nd but with Niko and Swanson those spots should be taken for years. Hope he can be an option for third

PCA still seems like the most likely everyday player due to his defensive prowess. Hope he can be more than another Felix Pie - overhyped CF whose bat didn’t allow him to be much more than a good defensive replacement.
(02-27-2024, 11:47 PM)jeffy Wrote: I said potential studs, but only time will tell. Way too early for most of these guys to say anything either way to be honest, but one can hope (hope is all I have, so let me have it lol). At least our system is looking better than it has in quite awhile, which is a nice feeling, combined with spring in the air... I'm just enjoying the feeling while it lasts.
Lol when you gonna learn about that positivity stuff..
(02-28-2024, 11:16 PM)funkster Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 11:47 PM)jeffy Wrote: I said potential studs, but only time will tell. Way too early for most of these guys to say anything either way to be honest, but one can hope (hope is all I have, so let me have it lol). At least our system is looking better than it has in quite awhile, which is a nice feeling, combined with spring in the air... I'm just enjoying the feeling while it lasts.
Lol when you gonna learn about that positivity stuff..

I know, I know... Hope springs eternal, I guess.
(02-27-2024, 05:14 PM)Butcher Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 04:00 PM)MrSheps Wrote: Exactly, perfect example! I was all for abusing Chapman's arm as a rental (and a guy I didn't like), but that seemed really ill-advised because you knew you'd need him in Game 7. The counter argument is you have to get to Game 7, but it's not like he was the one kid on the LL team that could pitch, they had options and a big lead.

With a 5-run lead, bringing him in is questionable. With a 7-run lead...good god, what are you even doing, Joe?

Don't get me wrong, I really love Maddon. I think he was the perfect manager to take that team to their apex and it all worked out. But some of his weird decisions in the postseason...I don't know. But also, everything is under a microscope.

Anyway, I often think about how everything is different if they don't pull out the win in game 7...

Maddon would be so reviled if there wasn't a rain delay and that team didn't come back. Almost as if he did everything in his power to lose. Your example Butch is all you need to see how scared he managed regarding pitching. I can't think of another manager that uses Chapman in that game. That's the whole point of having a 5 run lead, then a 7 run lead...it lets you rest the closer and have him strong for game 7. Of course Maddon can use the argument you have to get there but it's a 5 run lead! 7 run lead! I have to believe the whole Cubs 108 years and all the bs that went with that played into some of those decisions but who knows, maybe just the WS alone made him so skittish.  

I remember just not believing it at the time--how he used him in the first place in that game and then kept bringing him out. I also remember fans thinking that Chapman was fine and he'd be just as good in game 7. Obviously, he wasn't. 

I loved Maddon too, loved the way he managed up until those playoffs. Man, he pissed me off in that WS. That team definitely won despite the decisions he made. Thank God.
Not Cubs related, but man Yankees are a mess. Everyone is hurt and who knows who is going to pitch for them.

Cubs related, Imanaga has looked pretty good so far.
Damn shame about the Yankees.

Yeah, Imanaga has looked really good. It’ll be interesting to see how he adapts this season.
Imanaga, Suzuki, and Bote have been impressing this spring - 2 of those guys will likely make a difference during the season

Imanaga has struck out 46% of batters he’s faced this spring. Granted 9 of his 19 Ks were against the A’s roster but that’s still just a WTF stat

Suzuki seems to be able to continue the pace he had after the the trade deadline last season - his OPS is 907 for spring

The other guy seems to be doing his typical feasting off pitchers who will likely be selling insurance soon enough. He’s leading the team in RBIs and tied for lead in HR this spring. Will hand it to Bote, the guy comes in ready to go for spring training and seems to put up great numbers - specially early on. Doubt if any team will claim him due to his salary but he will be ready in Iowa in case he’s needed
Folks are more optimistic on Cubs than they’ve been in last couple of seasons according to fan poll in The Athletic

The Athletic ran a poll of fans with over 22,000 respondents

Cubs came in 9th regarding % optimistic.

Orioles topped poll and Rockies bottomed out in poll based on % of fans who are optimistic for the upcoming season.

Hey, it’s the spring training and Cubs didn’t play yesterday so …

“9. Chicago Cubs: 90.3 percent optimism

2023: 52.3 percent (21)
2022: 17.6 percent (22)

Optimist Brian: I know it is almost the exact same team from last year, but I think this year they figure it out. (I have said this every year for 49 years and have only been right once).

Anonymous Pessimist: They aren’t visibly improved over last year. They aren’t really trying to get better. The goal is mediocrity and sneaking into a bloated playoff field, and that sucks.

Optimist Dave: Hope is a projection of the future. For me hope is greater than the current lineup. The Cubs’ foundation of young players is the strongest ever (been a Cubs fan since 1964).

Optimist Finn: With Cody Bellinger back and Craig Counsell at the helm I feel really good about the Cubs making the playoffs and having a run. The rotation, bullpen and bench are deep, and vibes are immaculate. I mean, c’mon, playoff baseball is just different (and better) at Wrigley.“

https://theathletic.com/5350803/2024/03/...ed_article
I was surprised about the Giants. 24th? That was before the Snell signing, but still. They were a lot lower than I expected.
(03-19-2024, 11:15 AM)Butcher Wrote: I was surprised about the Giants. 24th? That was before the Snell signing, but still. They were a lot lower than I expected.

I think that’s an effect of their being in division with dodgers, webb hurt ray hurt, no snell yet, belt and crawford gone, new manager, this whole offseason everyone has been down on matt chapman, myself included..

What’s crazy to me is seeing the dodgers big 3 together in a mlbtv promo makes me realize that all 3 were all available and brought into LA in the past few years. So hypothetically any team, including the Cubs, could have done and had that perceived super-team.

It will all come down to health.
(03-19-2024, 09:36 AM)1060Ivy Wrote: Anonymous Pessimist: They aren’t visibly improved over last year. They aren’t really trying to get better. The goal is mediocrity and sneaking into a bloated playoff field, and that sucks.

I really don't get this take, as a team that is fine with mediocrity doesn't upgrade their manager the way the Cubs did. That's the easiest non-move out there. And if you're familiar with the players in the farm system at all, it just doesn't track. If you look at Shaw, Horton, PCA, Alcantara, Cassie... Sure, they will not all pan out, but this is how you build/enhance a core, Cubs fans saw it happen in 15, 16.

Now, like any fan, I do wish the Cubs were willing to go over the CBT threshold. Adding Montgomery would be huge. They could have added Chapman for a season and placed Morel at DH, that's one heck of a defense and lineup. I get being frustrated that they won't do things to put them (on paper) over the top in the division, but with the farm system where it is, and the depth the Cubs have on the 40 man, I get the hesitation. If they had no prospects knocking on the door, and no options for these spots above replacement level, or this was baseball as it was when I growing up, I'd be with the anonymous pessimist. But looking at the organization as a whole right now, I think you have to be optimistic.
Sooooo. Anyone else think something real sketchy going on with this Ohtani interpreter story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's pretty wild. I mean, unless ESPN is way off, or something was lost in translation (sorry, I had to), I think the best case scenario for Ohtani is that he covered gambling depts for his friend and they later realized it looked bad for him to pay the bookie on his behalf, even if he had no knowledge of the betting until he went to help Ippei out of a jam, thus leading to the change in story. Or, maybe they discovered theft in addition to the transfers Ohtani's camp and Ippei spoke about, that might also explain the shifting narrative. It also would make sense that Ippei is simply a fall guy for bets Ohtani made and likely didn't realize were not exactly legal.

And there's some other explanation I'm sure that makes sense as well that isn't immediately coming to mind. But again, the timeline (which perhaps is off) just doesn't support the idea that Ohtani knew nothing of this, unless both someone in Ohtani's camp and Ippei lied to ESPN, or that reporting is somehow off.
Not that it matters no way they lose their cash cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk