Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MLB News & Notes (other than Cubs or Sox)
Talks between CC and the Yanks are picking up, sounds like they might agree on a deal soon.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3228:date=Dec 10 2008, 12:08 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Talks between CC and the Yanks are picking up, sounds like they might agree on a deal soon.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

According to the NY Post, they do:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008/sport...deal_143481.htm
<!--quoteo(post=3251:date=Dec 10 2008, 07:01 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 10 2008, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3228:date=Dec 10 2008, 12:08 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Talks between CC and the Yanks are picking up, sounds like they might agree on a deal soon.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They just announced it on Mike and Mike too.
<!--quoteo(post=3252:date=Dec 10 2008, 07:04 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 10 2008, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3251:date=Dec 10 2008, 07:01 AM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 10 2008, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3228:date=Dec 10 2008, 12:08 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Talks between CC and the Yanks are picking up, sounds like they might agree on a deal soon.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They just announced it on Mike and Mike too.

I'm kind of surprised that money ended up winning out. It seemed like CC really did not want to go to NY, but wanted to be on the west coast and on a NL team. This is fine though, at least it won't really impact the Cubs.
I believe this actually HELPED the Brewers. A CC contract of that size would have crippled their ability to retain several of the players that are reaching arbitration and free agency.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=3264:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:37 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 10 2008, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I believe this actually HELPED the Brewers. A CC contract of that size would have crippled their ability to retain several of the players that are reaching arbitration and free agency.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think their window is closed and I'd be surprised if they finished higher than 3rd in the cnetral next season. They might have a little more $$$ now, but I don't see them being a real threat.
<!--quoteo(post=3172:date=Dec 9 2008, 07:14 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Orioles are interested in Jon Garland, Michael Barrett, Cesar Izturis, and Will Ohman. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] MacFail is working out nicely for them.
<!--quoteo(post=3339:date=Dec 10 2008, 10:53 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 10 2008, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3172:date=Dec 9 2008, 07:14 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Orioles are interested in Jon Garland, Michael Barrett, Cesar Izturis, and Will Ohman. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] MacFail is working out nicely for them.
They signed Izturis this morning.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=3172:date=Dec 9 2008, 08:14 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Orioles are interested in Jon Garland, Michael Barrett, Cesar Izturis, and Will Ohman. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow, MacFail really starting to leave his mark on that sad organization.
What a joke. Law:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Braves will guarantee A.J. Burnett a fifth year, and the Yankees are now going to revise their offer.

There's a good chance that the bidding will exceed the total value of Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million extension with the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dempster's deal looks like a major bargain.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3453:date=Dec 10 2008, 04:58 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What a joke. Law:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Braves will guarantee A.J. Burnett a fifth year, and the Yankees are now going to revise their offer.

There's a good chance that the bidding will exceed the total value of Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million extension with the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
For Burnett? Wow. People will never learn...
<!--quoteo(post=3453:date=Dec 10 2008, 04:58 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What a joke. Law:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Braves will guarantee A.J. Burnett a fifth year, and the Yankees are now going to revise their offer.

No doubt, Clapp. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the signing when it was announced, but, compared to the deals in the rumor mill, it doesn't sound like such a bad price to pay...especially considering where Demps would have fallen in the FA SP pecking order.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

And especially considering the economy. Weren't FA salaries supposed to take a hit this year?

(although, I guess I did read that it was most likely to affect middle-type guys, not star type)
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports that the Nationals have offered Mark Teixeira an eight-year, $180 million contract.
It's possible. The Yahoo! report from earlier today said the Nats had made an offer believed to be at least $150 million for seven year, but didn't have the real details. Ladson covers the Nats for MLB.com, so he should have some reliable sources.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]