Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soi keeper fantasy football
there's a thread in the fantasy forum. every year i hope we put together a fantasy football league with a buy in and hopefully keepers, much like our baseball league. we don't have the specifics yet as to how much the entry fee will be or keepers or anything, really. just trying to get at least 10 teams first so we can figure out the rest as a league in time to draft. i'm posting this here in case some of you want in who don't check the fantasy forum. so far we have:
me
pcb
fella
chitown
bt
cc
clapp (probably)
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
I'm down where's the info?
me
pcb
fella
chitown
bt
cc
clapp (probably)
dvda

no info yet really, when we get at least 2 more guys we'll sort that out. hopefully soon. i guess we could go with 8, but i'd much rather do 10
I'll join.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I'm in, provided the entry fee isn't too high.
me
pcb
fella
chitown
bt
cc
clapp (probably)
dvda
kid
coldneck

well, we have 10. there were a few people who were saying they'd be in depending on if the fee is low enough, you guys should post how much you were thinking. i'm up for whatever, obviously not anything too crazy. we also need to iron out the rules but let's get the money figured out first. if you have any ideas about rules/structure post those as well. i'm used to -
qb
rb
rb
wr
wr
te
d
k
very basic, but whatever, i'm open to varying it
There should be 3 WR's.
I'd recommend adding a WR/RB to your list above. I prefer a Point-per-reception league as well, although I'd be happy with whatever the majority wants. A league fee between $25 or $50 would work for me.

How would the keeper rules work? How many players can we keep from year to year? I've only done a Keeper Auction league so I don't know the best way to handle it for a traditional draft.
Personally, I don't care for the PPR format. I'm kinda curious about how to handle the keeper format too. I think that there needs to be a limit on how many seasons you can keep a particular player... like 2 or 3.
This is how we do Keepers in my auction league. Obviously most would not apply to a traditional draft league. I do think the bolded section most definitely should apply.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->A team may keep up to three (3) players each season. A team must declare who they will be keeping one week prior to the draft. A team may keep a player for as long as they would like, but each Keeper Player will cost his purchase price in the prior year plus a 20% inflation factor. Each consecutive season a team keeps a player the inflation factor is increased by 10%. Example: If a team paid $40 for Adrian Peterson, it would cost $48 ($40 X 1.20) to keep him next year, and $63 ($48 X 1.30) to keep him the following year. If a player's keeper price does not come to a whole dollar amount, that players’ price will be rounded up to the next dollar. Example: If a team paid $51 for Tony Romo his keeper purchase price of $61.20 would be rounded up to $62. <b>Only players that were taken in the draft and remain on the drafting team’s roster at the end of the year can be a Keeper Player. No players that were acquired via pickups or trades can be kept for the next year.</b> A complete listing of eligible Keeper Players and prices will be distributed by the Commissioner in advance of the deadline.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=49955:date=Jul 15 2009, 08:57 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 15 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This is how we do Keepers in my auction league. Obviously most would not apply to a traditional draft league. I do think the bolded section most definitely should apply.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A team may keep up to three (3) players each season. A team must declare who they will be keeping one week prior to the draft. A team may keep a player for as long as they would like, but each Keeper Player will cost his purchase price in the prior year plus a 20% inflation factor. Each consecutive season a team keeps a player the inflation factor is increased by 10%. Example: If a team paid $40 for Adrian Peterson, it would cost $48 ($40 X 1.20) to keep him next year, and $63 ($48 X 1.30) to keep him the following year. If a player's keeper price does not come to a whole dollar amount, that players’ price will be rounded up to the next dollar. Example: If a team paid $51 for Tony Romo his keeper purchase price of $61.20 would be rounded up to $62. <b>Only players that were taken in the draft and remain on the drafting team’s roster at the end of the year can be a Keeper Player. No players that were acquired via pickups or trades can be kept for the next year.</b> A complete listing of eligible Keeper Players and prices will be distributed by the Commissioner in advance of the deadline.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool. I think that makes sense, and if we're not doing an auction, I think there definitely needs to be some sort of limit on the number of seasons that a player can be kept.
Are we planning on doing an auction? That would be much tougher online. If not, I'm in a keeper league that's pretty easy to keep track of. Basically, you can keep 3 guys. You have to use a draft pick to keep them. The draft pick is determined by what round they went in last year, then you subtract one year. You can keep a guy for a max of 3 years. It sounds complicated, but it's not. For instance:

2009, I draft Cutler in the 3rd round. If I want to keep him in 2010, I have to use a 2nd rounder. If i want to keep him in 2011, I have to use a first rounder. I can't keep him in 2012.

First rounders will always cost you a first rounder. You can't keep a guy unless you have a draft pick in that round. So if you want to keep 2 guys taken in the first round, you must have 2 first round picks.

Really, all you have to keep track of is the draft position for each guy.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=49961:date=Jul 15 2009, 11:04 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 15 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Are we planning on doing an auction? That would be much tougher online. If not, I'm in a keeper league that's pretty easy to keep track of. Basically, you can keep 3 guys. You have to use a draft pick to keep them. The draft pick is determined by what round they went in last year, then you subtract one year. You can keep a guy for a max of 3 years. It sounds complicated, but it's not. For instance:

2009, I draft Cutler in the 3rd round. If I want to keep him in 2010, I have to use a 2nd rounder. If i want to keep him in 2011, I have to use a first rounder. I can't keep him in 2012.

First rounders will always cost you a first rounder. You can't keep a guy unless you have a draft pick in that round. So if you want to keep 2 guys taken in the first round, you must have 2 first round picks.

Really, all you have to keep track of is the draft position for each guy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sounds good to me. And No, I don't think anyone was suggesting doing an auction format. It would be impossible to do online.
I strongly disagree with part of your rules Coldneck. Why shouldn't we be able to keep guys picked up in trades? That will increase interest for teams that are out of it, and increase trading. If you picked a good player in the late rounds, you could trade him to another team for an impact player, if that team is out of it. Then the team out of it will have a good keeper for next year.

I don't see the problem with keeping guys who we pick up during the year, but if you don't' want people to benefit too much from it, you can make the price of keeping them prohibitive. We make all pickups the equivalent of 6th rounders, but we could make them 3rd rounders if you guys want.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I like BT's suggestion.