Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castro being called up?
It's been confirmed that Tracy is being sent to the minors and Baker will stay. I personally think it's because of Baker's firey demeanor: http://blog.prorumors.com/2010/05/rumors/c...content=Twitter
<!--quoteo(post=95316:date=May 7 2010, 11:38 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 7 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's been confirmed that Tracy is being sent to the minors and Baker will stay. I personally think it's because of Baker's firey demeanor: http://blog.prorumors.com/2010/05/rumors/c...content=Twitter<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does Tracy have to accept a minor league assignment? Can he refuse.

As far as the Castro thing goes, I don't have a huge problem with it. I'm just not sure what problem it is solving.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=95316:date=May 7 2010, 11:38 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 7 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's been confirmed that Tracy is being sent to the minors and Baker will stay. I personally think it's because of Baker's firey demeanor: http://blog.prorumors.com/2010/05/rumors/c...content=Twitter<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

http://hirejimessian.com/2010/05/05/we-don...d-baseman-burn/

http://hirejimessian.com/2010/05/06/need-m...jim-hendry-gun/

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Good to see that Grabow was not bothered by the slight burn on his hand. Apparently it was on the back of the hand. Hey…did you notice, he looks like a large Aaron Miles?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->@Edelweiss – I have some pretty excellent confirmation that your story is 100% true. So, who was the other pitcher?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

I don't think he can refuse because he originally signed a minor league contract and the Cubs bought it out. It would be different if he was an established MLB player that originally signed an MLB contract or arbitration without having options. He does however have to go through waivers. I have a feeling he'll be playing in Iowa very soon.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm just not sure what problem it is solving.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The problem of too many grounders that a SS with good range would get to sneaking through the infield for a hit.

Theriot doesn't screw up too many plays at SS, but it seems like there are at least 1 or 2 extra singles every game (there probably aren't really that many, but it sure feels like it) that could be prevented by a SS with a little range.
I also think it will be cool to get a Cubs shirt with the name "Castro" on the back.
Finally, a reason to get excited about this year.
Sure he will go through his struggles, but what is it going to hurt?
<!--quoteo(post=95320:date=May 7 2010, 12:46 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 7 2010, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think he can refuse because he originally signed a minor league contract and the Cubs bought it out. It would be different if he was an established MLB player that originally signed an MLB contract or arbitration without having options. He does however have to go through waivers. I have a feeling he'll be playing in Iowa very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He can ask for his release as opposed to going to AAA and I'm fairly sure the Cubs would give it to him.
<!--quoteo(post=95321:date=May 7 2010, 11:55 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ May 7 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm just not sure what problem it is solving.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The problem of too many grounders that a SS with good range would get to sneaking through the infield for a hit.

Theriot doesn't screw up too many plays at SS, but it seems like there are at least 1 or 2 extra singles every game (there probably aren't really that many, but it sure feels like it) that could be prevented by a SS with a little range.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well, we've been over this before, and while Castro may eventually be a great defensive shortstop, there is simply no evidence he is better than Theriot right now, at least defensively. You are right that he might get to more balls, but that doesn't matter if he clanks them or throws them into the seats.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=95288:date=May 7 2010, 11:18 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 7 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Don't blow your expectations up too big on this guy. Elvis Andrus had a .702 OPS last year in his first year at MLB. I think that's a safe projection for Castro too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Castro's offense is rated much higher than Andrus.
<!--quoteo(post=95325:date=May 7 2010, 12:06 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ May 7 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=95321:date=May 7 2010, 11:55 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 7 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm just not sure what problem it is solving.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well, we've been over this before, and while Castro may eventually be a great defensive shortstop, there is simply no evidence he is better than Theriot right now, at least defensively. You are right that he might get to more balls, but that doesn't matter if he clanks them or throws them into the seats.
I'll take a few errors from Castro at this point. I'm tired of watching grounders hop through the infield, hoping Theriot is making his way over to glove the ball...only to find that he isn't even in the frame yet.

Obviously, this isn't going to save our season, but it's a reason to watch this team -- which is a lot more than we've got right now.
Cashner has also been promoted.... to Iowa
<!--quoteo(post=95327:date=May 7 2010, 01:09 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ May 7 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Obviously, this isn't going to save our season, but it's a reason to watch this team -- which is a lot more than we've got right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bingo
<!--quoteo(post=95327:date=May 7 2010, 12:09 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ May 7 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=95325:date=May 7 2010, 12:06 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 7 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=95321:date=May 7 2010, 11:55 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 7 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm just not sure what problem it is solving.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll take a few errors from Castro at this point. I'm tired of watching grounders hop through the infield, hoping Theriot is making his way over to glove the ball...only to find that he isn't even in the frame yet.

Obviously, this isn't going to save our season, but it's a reason to watch this team -- which is a lot more than we've got right now.

Weren't a good portion of errors that Castro had last year were throwing errors?

Having DLee at first should may cut some of those down.
<!--quoteo(post=95330:date=May 7 2010, 12:15 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ May 7 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=95327:date=May 7 2010, 12:09 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 7 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=95325:date=May 7 2010, 12:06 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 7 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=95321:date=May 7 2010, 11:55 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 7 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm just not sure what problem it is solving.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Weren't a good portion of errors that Castro had last year were throwing errors?

Having DLee at first should may cut some of those down.
Tru dat.