Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 SOI Keeper Fantasy Football League
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out.  I assume the most likely answer is that there is some kind of lag between the waiver wire posting and he only had access to players that had not been claimed on waivers.  It just looks very odd that, according to the time stamps, he was able to sign a free agent before the waiver wire was processed.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
In noting a transaction this week, I think our rules need a tweak.  As it stands right now (and with a few irrelevant exceptions), a drafted player is kept in a higher round than he was kept in the year before and an undrafted player is kept in the 7th round.  

PcB drafted Derrius Guice (who was supposed to be Washington's rookie RB) in the 16th round even though he had already torn an ACL and it was known that he would miss the season.  I'm not wild about the idea of drafting a player solely as a keeper, but I can live with it in part because in order to actually get to keep him in the 15th round next year, PcB would have had to have kept him on his roster all year.  He couldn't do that and he dropped Guice by the 3rd week of the season.

This week, Koz picked up Guice.  Koz, of course, tanked the season and was effectively eliminated from the playoffs before this week started.  While I can live with the idea that he could pick up Guice in the last week of the season when he has nothing to play for and keep him next season (even though I'd still prefer come up with a system that wouldn't allow that), I don't think Koz should get the benefit of the fact that PcB drafted Guice in the 16th round, which I think our current rules would afford him.  

So, I'd propose a rule tweak that says a drafted player who is released and then signed as a free agent during the season is kept based on their draft position or using a 7th round pick, whichever is worse for the team keeping the player.  This would only apply to players that are released and then claimed as a free agent (or off waivers).  It would not apply to players that are drafted and not released/waived, including those that are traded.

In other words, if PcB had managed to keep Guice on his roster for the season (or if he had traded him to Koz), then he could have been kept as a 15th rounder next year.  But, since he was released, I think that if Koz wants to keep Guice, he should have to do so as a 7th rounder.

Thoughts?

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote:Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out.  I assume the most likely answer is that there is some kind of lag between the waiver wire posting and he only had access to players that had not been claimed on waivers.  It just looks very odd that, according to the time stamps, he was able to sign a free agent before the waiver wire was processed.

Just seeing this lol

Yeah, the answer is that at midnight pacific Wednesday morning anyone not claimed becomes a free agent and anyone claimed stays on waivers and unavailable til waiver claims process around 2 am pacific. Ive been doing it for years on Yahoo since Im often up late. I know Clapp does it as well.
Congrats to PcB on winning the league.

Before posting the keeper restrictions for next season, we still need a resolution on this.  Am I the only one who thinks it's an issue? (I mean that question literally, this might be me seeing a problem where nobody else does.)

Quote:In noting a transaction this week, I think our rules need a tweak.  As it stands right now (and with a few irrelevant exceptions), a drafted player is kept in a higher round than he was kept in the year before and an undrafted player is kept in the 7th round.  

PcB drafted Derrius Guice (who was supposed to be Washington's rookie RB) in the 16th round even though he had already torn an ACL and it was known that he would miss the season.  I'm not wild about the idea of drafting a player solely as a keeper, but I can live with it in part because in order to actually get to keep him in the 15th round next year, PcB would have had to have kept him on his roster all year.  He couldn't do that and he dropped Guice by the 3rd week of the season.

This week, Koz picked up Guice.  Koz, of course, tanked the season and was effectively eliminated from the playoffs before this week started.  While I can live with the idea that he could pick up Guice in the last week of the season when he has nothing to play for and keep him next season (even though I'd still prefer come up with a system that wouldn't allow that), I don't think Koz should get the benefit of the fact that PcB drafted Guice in the 16th round, which I think our current rules would afford him.  

So, I'd propose a rule tweak that says a drafted player who is released and then signed as a free agent during the season is kept based on their draft position or using a 7th round pick, whichever is worse for the team keeping the player.  This would only apply to players that are released and then claimed as a free agent (or off waivers).  It would not apply to players that are drafted and not released/waived, including those that are traded.

In other words, if PcB had managed to keep Guice on his roster for the season (or if he had traded him to Koz), then he could have been kept as a 15th rounder next year.  But, since he was released, I think that if Koz wants to keep Guice, he should have to do so as a 7th rounder.

Thoughts?
I agree with your proposed solution, and thanks.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
Where was that rule when I dropped David Johnson after drafting him with the 16th-round pick?

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Oh, and congrats PcB.

--Veryzer

Quote:Where was that rule when I dropped David Johnson after drafting him with the 16th-round pick?

Not noticed by me and not mentioned by you.  Big Grin

Are you opposed to the change?
Not at all. I never understood why it was the other way in the first place. I'm just retro-grousing.

--Veryzer

sorry I haven't got to this sooner, payment are PCB 175, Kid 75, right. 

Also, as to Kid's rule change, does that take effect next year, or do we start it after next year's draft? 

I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Quote:sorry I haven't got to this sooner, payment are PCB 175, Kid 75, right. 

Also, as to Kid's rule change, does that take effect next year, or do we start it after next year's draft? 

Correct on payments.

As to the rule change, I see no reason to delay the rule.  Nobody's draft this year would have been impacted by this rule.  This deals with what happens to a player who is drafted and then released.  I think all we do is give everyone a warning before they set keepers next year that if they keep someone who was drafted in the 9th round or later and then released, then that player will be kept in the 7th round.  We can provide a link to this past season's transactions so everyone can verify that information themselves before setting keepers.
sorry, I thought I sent your payments a few days ago. Apparently I failed. You should have them now. 

I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Just renewed the league. I don't know if anyone will check here anymore, but hopefully the emails do the trick. Let me know if you are NOT in. 

What's the draft order for this year?

--Veryzer

Draft order for round 1 (there were no trades of 1st round picks last year):

1. Rapp

2. Koz

3. BT

4. Liner

5. Fella

6. Clapp

7. Slaw

8. BT's friend

9. Kid

10. PcB

1-4 are actual order of the regular season standings of the teams that don't make the playoffs.

5-8 are reverse order of the regular season standings of the playoff teams that don't make the championship game.

9 is the championship game loser.

10 is the championship game winner.

I'll try to figure out all the keeper restrictions, etc. over the weekend.