Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite isolation movies that you've watched
Das Boot series on Hulu is really good if you don't mind subtitles.

Watched Arkansas - drug film which focuses on southern more rural than typical drug films more character study and less action. There’s still violence, it’s a drug film but don’t expect quick cut always and chase scenes with exploding buildings

Nothing great but a good film to fill your pandemic times

Solid cast - includes Vince Vaughn, Liam Hemsworth, Clark Duke (director, producer), John Malkovich, Vivian Fox, Michael Kenneth Williams. Leads are Hemsworth, Duke, and Vaughn so great supporting staff
Started the first ep of Black Monday w/Don Cheadle...looks like it could have potential.

I think I'm looking forward to seeing what Sammy looks and sounds like these days on the new 30 for 30 'Long Gone Summer'
Well, this is a bummer. One of the best Netflix exclusives imo:

https://news.avclub.com/covid-kills-netf...1845280565
My sister works (worked) on that show.

Quote:My wife doesn't really watch the show, but i made her start this season with me. She pointed out how cheesy some of the dialogue is, which i never noticed, but now i can't not notice.
Loved this. A brother-in-law asked of a popular sitcom I had been enjoying maybe 10 years ago, Prolly Modern Family, "Doesn't the laugh-track bother you???"

It does now.

God bless willing-suspension-of-disbelief.

And bring plenty of it with you and enjoy Enola Holmes. Watched when sitting with my 90 year old mother. She liked it, I think. Me too.

Speaking of God.

Two Popes was important.

And "The Chosen" series  I highly recommend--very Gospel, but thoughtful and acting is fierce. Small roles, big performances. (I got 8 episodes on YouTube)  It is by some madman (fast foward through his jabber) down-South-sommers (my childhood best friend  moved to Florida and became a Church Revivalist or something. ('God bless and keep the Czar'--) The guy who exec-produced/directed this gem of a series reminds me of him.)

Film/TV/Broadway always reminds me a bit of higher ed.

Publish or Perish. Writing the Next Grant. Finding the next Project. Lilly Pad to Lilly Pad. Sorry your sister is between projects right now, Slaw. I have a former collaborator working on Saul --associate producer. She's been with Vince since halfway through Breaking Bad. But before that, project to project. And it will be again soon. (Now?)

Now she smooths over transitions (and adds networking) by doing 'inside-baseball' stuff on writers and producer with a web-based talk show, I think. 

Back to the Bears/Bucs

Ted Lasso is the best show of the year. 

Kind of like Cobra Kai in that you're expecting a total shit sandwich, but it's unexpectedly good.

Quote:Ted Lasso is the best show of the year. 

Kind of like Cobra Kai in that you're expecting a total shit sandwich, but it's unexpectedly good.
I enjoyed both as well.

Also speaking of Apple TV, there's a new documentary series called Long Way Up where Ewan Mcgregor and his buddy ride motorcycles from the southern tip of South America up to California, stopping to chat with locals and see the sights. They did a couple of these previously (all of which are on Apple TV), starting in 2004 with Long Way Round where they rode all across Europe, Asia, and North America, and then also Long Way Down in 2010 where they went from London to South Africa. They're all really good and worth checking out if you haven't yet.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="353686" data-time="1587057345">
<div>
My wife doesn't really watch the show, but i made her start this season with me. She pointed out how cheesy some of the dialogue is, which i never noticed, but now i can't not notice.
Loved this. A brother-in-law asked of a popular sitcom I had been enjoying maybe 10 years ago, Prolly Modern Family, "Doesn't the laugh-track bother you???"

It does now.

</div>
</blockquote>

Must be another one cause that one doesn't have a laugh track. 

(I am silently praying it wasn't Two and a Half Men.)
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="4FP" data-cid="355675" data-time="1602205636">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="353686" data-time="1587057345">
<div>
My wife doesn't really watch the show, but i made her start this season with me. She pointed out how cheesy some of the dialogue is, which i never noticed, but now i can't not notice.

It does now.

</div>
</blockquote>

Must be another one cause that one doesn't have a laugh track. 

(I am silently praying it wasn't Two and a Half Men.)

</div>
</blockquote>

Pray out loud.

It wasn't Two and a Half men.

Maybe it was Big Bang Theory

(Modern Family might have had a laugh track once, or perhaps I was confusing his critique with other's criticism Modern Family's inexplicable 4th wall shit?)

No matter. My Willing-suspension-of-disbelief-- and its fragility-- point stands.

Speaking of laugh tracks, anyone else wish we could watch NFL Football  (or what was baseball) this year without piped in crowd noise? Sometimes I hear replays with less "sound" and it is like "Mic'd Up!" all game long. You can hear everything (that matters). (In baseball, no live crowd noise led to some on-field chippiness) Sonically, it is like being at a scrimmage, or some other insider event. I think pro sports is missing some opportunities.
WTF kind of noises are the Bears blaring at Soldier Field? It's straight out of the military torture manual.

It's freakin ridiculous. 

The Chicago 7 on Netflicks is a winner for us.

We were born too late to follow in real time, and we were both poor students in worse high schools--didn't learn it in history class.

Those political struggles borne by the celebrated shoulders of Chicago were just a general impression for us both.

So timely for this year. Hard to believe most of the script was penned 10 years ago.

Aaron Sorkin, Sacha Baron Cohen,Mark Rylance (see anything Rylance is in), Joseph Gordon-Levitt, et al made captivating courtroom drama.

The movie made us both go back and read some history. Made the wife make popcorn for a mid-week movie (that never happens).
My first memory of television news is of the courtroom drawing of Bobby shackled to the chair.

Been watching some older movies that my wife hadnt seen before:

Orgazmo

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2

Sleepaway Camp

Airplane!

She also bought the Nightmare on Elm Street collection as an anniversary gift. Weve watched through NoES 3: Dream Warriors. We just signed up for Shudder, too, so looking forward to diving in there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Not a movie, but I've been watching the docu-series "City So Real" on National Geographic/Hulu. It really does show an unvarnished picture of Chicago between 2019 and early 2020. All of the city's struggles are a reflection of what the country as a whole has dealt with (or attempted to wish away). Steve James did a phenomenal job on this.