Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullpen
We're gonna have some decisions to make before the start of the season. Does Vizcanio deserve a spot? What do we do with Guzman(outta options)? Samardzija? How many lefties? Closer? Setup man? So far, here's what I would do:

CP: Gregg

SU: Marmol

MR: Cotts
MR: Gaudin
MR: Ascanio
MR: Guzman

LR: Heilman

I don't wanna give Guzman up for free. Samardzija goes to AAA to start. Vizcanio gets dumped or we trade his overpaid ass for an overpaid middle infielder. I also don't think we need more than 1 LHP, with Lilly and Marshall in the rotation. What say you?
CP: Marmol

SU: Gregg

MR: Heilman
MR: Vizcaino until he proves that he sucks. I suspect he will, then probably dump his ass or DFA.
MR: Guzman or Ascanio though Guzman has been losing this battle so far. Tough choice.
LR: Gaudin

Samardzija starts in AAA. He's been less than impressive so far.
<!--quoteo(post=23016:date=Mar 11 2009, 10:21 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 11 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->CP: Marmol

MR: Vizcaino until he proves that he sucks. I suspect he will, then probably dump his ass or DFA.
MR: Guzman or Ascanio though Guzman has been losing this battle so far. Tough choice.

Samardzija starts in AAA. He's been less than impressive so far.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Actually, I think Samardzija's been fine. But I don't see a swingman-type role for him being available with Marshall, Heilman, and Gaudin on the team.
I think we're trading Guzman.
@TheBlogfines
100% agree with the Rubemeister. Wouldn't change a thing.
BTW, the sooner we trade Guzman, the less chance we have of getting a 30 year old A-ball catcher batting .218 in return.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I'm almost of the belief that we should put Heilman in the rotation and use Marshall as our LHRP. However, that decision would be soley for the purpose of getting Cotts out of there.

I think it's way too early to make a prediction on the bullpen. Patton and Caridad are pitching very well and could be dark horses. If it were me making the decision though it would be:

CL: Marmol

MR: Gaudin
MR: Caridad
MR: Ascaino
MR/LR: Cotts

Given a little more insight on Waddell and if he handles lefties well enough, I might consider him the best lefty for the job. Cotts just doesn't bring anything to the table as a left handed reliever IMO.
If Marshall and Heilman are performing close to equally, Marshall will be in the pen.

I think, yeah, Guzman is gonna get dumped. Samardzija probably makes the pen before guys like Ascanio and Caridad.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
I think Guzman is going to make the team. Lou likes him, Hendry likes him. He pitched well last year in his brief stint and unless we can get something decent in return, I say keep him and see how he does.

CL: Marmol

MR: Guzman
MR: Shark
i don't know who caridad is, but i'll eat my shoe if he makes the team. marshall is gonna be the #5 unless he really tanks his next few starts. the sooner we get rid of guzman, the better.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=23062:date=Mar 12 2009, 08:35 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 12 2009, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i don't know who caridad is, but i'll eat my shoe if he makes the team. marshall is gonna be the #5 unless he really tanks his next few starts. the sooner we get rid of guzman, the better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Caridad has been good and is young, he'll be in the bullpen at some point, it probably won't be this year though. Also, I think it's a 99.9% that Marshall is the 5th starter. As for Guzman, if we don't trade him, he'll be in the bullpen. We're not gonna give him away for free.
<!--quoteo(post=23092:date=Mar 12 2009, 11:32 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 12 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=23062:date=Mar 12 2009, 08:35 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 12 2009, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i don't know who caridad is, but i'll eat my shoe if he makes the team. marshall is gonna be the #5 unless he really tanks his next few starts. the sooner we get rid of guzman, the better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Caridad has been good and is young, he'll be in the bullpen at some point, it probably won't be this year though. Also, I think it's a 99.9% that Marshall is the 5th starter. As for Guzman, if we don't trade him, he'll be in the bullpen. We're not gonna give him away for free.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, he's not that young. He's 25 years old and has only been in the Cubs system a year. He signed on in Japan when he was 18 and Hendry scooped him up last year when he found a loophole to get out of his commitment to his Japanese team.

The guy's on the fast track to the majors. He's not a strikeout pitcher and is honestly better suited to be a starter, but I could see him making the team as a reliever.
Patton is the rule 5 guy, right? We need to get him more looks in ST, because so far, it looks like he's been pitching really well. I think he's a definite dark horse to make the pen.
<!--quoteo(post=23100:date=Mar 12 2009, 11:44 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 12 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Patton is the rule 5 guy, right? We need to get him more looks in ST, because so far, it looks like he's been pitching really well. I think he's a definite dark horse to make the pen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree. It would suck to lose this guy from what I've seen of him so far. It might come down to either him or Guzman as we'd lose one of them anyway.
Anyone want to revise their bullpens? We know that Marmol, Gregg, Guadin, Cotts, and Heilman are in. If I had to pick two more, I think it would be Patton and Samardzija right now.

I was on the Caridad bandwagon, but he isn't a strikeout pitcher like Samardzija is and I think getting him starts at AAA would be beneficial to him. He could be a nice replacement for Harden next year or possibly even this year if we really need to add a starter at some point.

I'm to the point where I wish we could dump Vizcaino for any warm body too.