Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror Movies I'm looking forward to this October
<!--quoteo(post=67266:date=Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->One of the most important factors of the film is seeing it in a theater with booming sound. Watching it on your computer or home TV will NOT give you the same effect. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to even watch it on Blu-ray/DVD. It's a theatrical experience, and that's that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't seen this movie but this is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. If the movie is any good it should be good regardless of where you watch it.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, that might be true for most kinds of films, but some movie experiences are in fact better with a group of people and on a big screen with full theater sound. You can't really duplicate the atmosphere at home. You could literally hear and feel people's unease throughout most of the theater while watching Paranormal. I'm not saying that you can't enjoy this at home, and I do disagree with the writer in that regard, but I also wouldn't tell anyone to wait for this to come out on DVD. You sort of need to experience this in the theater to enjoy it fully.
There are tons of movies that are simply better on the big screen. Really...any movie with any sort of impressive visuals just can't be replicated at home (no matter how big your TV might be).

That being said, more and more I dislike going to the theater because, almost without fail, there will be at least one or two rude douchebags who don't understand that it isn't polite to talk out loud, text your friend, or crack jokes during the film. At least I can control the environment at home.
<!--quoteo(post=67266:date=Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->One of the most important factors of the film is seeing it in a theater with booming sound. Watching it on your computer or home TV will NOT give you the same effect. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to even watch it on Blu-ray/DVD. It's a theatrical experience, and that's that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't seen this movie but this is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. If the movie is any good it should be good regardless of where you watch it.

That is one the dumbest things I've read in a while.

Movies that are better at the theater:

Any action/adventure movie
Any comedy movie
Any horror/slasher/thriller
Any animated movie

Can you imagine if Jurassic Park, Star Wars or Titanic were TNT Movies of the Week?

Yes, you could watch a Hugh Grant movie and have the same experience at home, but not movies that were produced for the sole purpose of playing it in a theater.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Butcher, I find it effective to tell people to shut the fuck up. It usually works.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=67267:date=Oct 26 2009, 11:02 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 26 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=67266:date=Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->One of the most important factors of the film is seeing it in a theater with booming sound. Watching it on your computer or home TV will NOT give you the same effect. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to even watch it on Blu-ray/DVD. It's a theatrical experience, and that's that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, that might be true for most kinds of films, but some movie experiences are in fact better with a group of people and on a big screen with full theater sound. You can't really duplicate the atmosphere at home. You could literally hear and feel people's unease throughout most of the theater while watching Paranormal. I'm not saying that you can't enjoy this at home, and I do disagree with the writer in that regard, but I also wouldn't tell anyone to wait for this to come out on DVD. You sort of need to experience this in the theater to enjoy it fully.

So we agree then.
<!--quoteo(post=67290:date=Oct 26 2009, 02:58 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Oct 26 2009, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=67266:date=Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Oct 26 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->One of the most important factors of the film is seeing it in a theater with booming sound. Watching it on your computer or home TV will NOT give you the same effect. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to even watch it on Blu-ray/DVD. It's a theatrical experience, and that's that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is one the dumbest things I've read in a while.

Movies that are better at the theater:

Any action/adventure movie
Any comedy movie
Any horror/slasher/thriller
Any animated movie

Can you imagine if Jurassic Park, Star Wars or Titanic were TNT Movies of the Week?

Yes, you could watch a Hugh Grant movie and have the same experience at home, but not movies that were produced for the sole purpose of playing it in a theater.

Thanks for the insight. I'm off to go watch Four Weddings and a Funeral now.
actually, 'titanic" and "jurassic park" are movies of the week all the time.

having said that, every movie is better at the theatre, without exception. like butcher said, the theatre experience can't be duplicated.
Wang.
For anyone who never saw it in the 80s, rent Night of the Creeps. It's finally out on DVD for the first time ever. Although it's a bit dated, still one of the best horror comedies of all time.
<!--quoteo(post=67403:date=Oct 28 2009, 07:50 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 28 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->For anyone who never saw it in the 80s, rent Night of the Creeps. It's finally out on DVD for the first time ever. Although it's a bit dated, still one of the best horror comedies of all time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I watched it about 100 times back in college. I have an unnatural affection for Tom Atkins.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Watched House of the Devil tonight. It was just ok. Another over-hyped indie horror movie, I'm afraid.
watched Trick 'r Treat. not bad. wasn't scary at all.
[Image: lou.jpg]