Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror Movies I'm looking forward to this October
Paranormal Activity was also quite good. I was planning on going to see Zombieland instead, but a buddy scored some passes to a midnight showing of it last. Very creepy, even funny at times, and definitely worth your money. See this in a theater if you can.
<!--quoteo(post=65144:date=Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Paranormal Activity was also quite good. I was planning on going to see Zombieland instead, but a buddy scored some passes to a midnight showing of it last. Very creepy, even funny at times, and definitely worth your money. See this in a theater if you can.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where's it playing?
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
rec 2 looks awesome. after seeing the 1st one about 4 times it's cool because i have the building memorized and seeing them revisit the same creepy places heightens the scary factor
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
i have trick r treat queued up, anything else on netflix i should check out, as far as newer stuff for the halloween season?
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
<!--quoteo(post=65152:date=Oct 3 2009, 12:24 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Oct 3 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=65144:date=Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Paranormal Activity was also quite good. I was planning on going to see Zombieland instead, but a buddy scored some passes to a midnight showing of it last. Very creepy, even funny at times, and definitely worth your money. See this in a theater if you can.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where's it playing?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
AMC River East downtown. I think it's only playing through the weekend.
I saw Zombieland today. I am growingly becoming more disappointed in the film. It wasn't funny enough and didn't have enough killings for this type of film. It does have one great sequence before the final scenes. But 9 was much better than this film.
I'm resisting the strong urge to rent this online, because it is showing for free on hdnet on Oct 28. It is also showing at the Chicago International Film Fest Oct 9, 10 & 18.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R5OWQ...ASIN=B002R5OWQY

http://www.chicagofilmfestival.com/films_a...se_of_the_devil

It is getting great reviews in horror circles, so I'm excited.

I also watched an interesting take on the zombie genre over the weekend called Deadgirl, which recently came out on DVD. A little disturbing at times, but overall a decent little movie.
I watched about 45 minutes of Trick 'r Treat online this weekend and was a little underwhelmed. There were some funny parts, but I can see why it went straight to DVD, to be honest...

I'll probably still rent it on NetFlix to give it a better look, but I've toned down my expectations.
<!--quoteo(post=65354:date=Oct 5 2009, 01:03 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 5 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm resisting the strong urge to rent this online, because it is showing for free on hdnet on Oct 28. It is also showing at the Chicago International Film Fest Oct 9, 10 & 18.

I also watched an interesting take on the zombie genre over the weekend called Deadgirl, which recently came out on DVD. A little disturbing at times, but overall a decent little movie.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had the honor of being one of the first people able to read Deadgirl about 4 years. I thought it was a much better read than what showed up on screen. On screen I guess it made for a nice little horror film but I didn't enjoy the film nearly as I thought potentially.
<!--quoteo(post=65362:date=Oct 5 2009, 01:27 PM:name=CCwinwssoon)-->QUOTE (CCwinwssoon @ Oct 5 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=65354:date=Oct 5 2009, 01:03 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Oct 5 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm resisting the strong urge to rent this online, because it is showing for free on hdnet on Oct 28. It is also showing at the Chicago International Film Fest Oct 9, 10 & 18.

I also watched an interesting take on the zombie genre over the weekend called Deadgirl, which recently came out on DVD. A little disturbing at times, but overall a decent little movie.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had the honor of being one of the first people able to read Deadgirl about 4 years. I thought it was a much better read than what showed up on screen. On screen I guess it made for a nice little horror film but I didn't enjoy the film nearly as I thought potentially.
Yeah, it definitely deserved to go straight to DVD, but it wasn't a bad movie by any means. I could have done without some of the sex scenes though.
<!--quoteo(post=65144:date=Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Paranormal Activity was also quite good. I was planning on going to see Zombieland instead, but a buddy scored some passes to a midnight showing of it last. Very creepy, even funny at times, and definitely worth your money. See this in a theater if you can.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Saw it...twas awesome. I like how in the last 1/3 you could see everyone in the audience squirming in anticipation.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=65487:date=Oct 6 2009, 01:13 AM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Oct 6 2009, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=65144:date=Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Oct 3 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Paranormal Activity was also quite good. I was planning on going to see Zombieland instead, but a buddy scored some passes to a midnight showing of it last. Very creepy, even funny at times, and definitely worth your money. See this in a theater if you can.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Saw it...twas awesome. I like how in the last 1/3 you could see everyone in the audience squirming in anticipation.
Yep, and that ending was one of the better horror endings in years.
I'm seeing the midnight show this Thursday.
Since Liner asked about throwing out names of horror movies currently out, and we already talked about Deadgirl, I'd like to add another one to that list, Grace. It had its moments, but left a ton of unanswered questions. I wouldn't go out of my way to rent this, but it wasn't bad. The final 30 minutes was very well done. Also, it has one of the chicks from Death Proof (Jordan Ladd) in it playing the lead character, though by the end of it I didn't find her attractive anymore.
Ok, I finished watching Trick 'r Treat. It wasn't a complete letdown, but I can definitely understand why the studio jerked it around for so long. It starts off rather weak with some by-the-book scares, but really picks up as it goes along. The final half hour to 40 minutes are really solid, but then it just abruptly ends. WTF? It felt as though it could have been another 15 minutes or so longer. Maybe it's just me, but it had an unfinished feel to it.

In any event, I'll still give it 3.5/5 stars. It is in no way groundbreaking, not particularly scary and is by no means a future classic as so many in the movie blogosphere have proclaimed during this long wait for its release. That said, it is a very fun little picture, and a throwback to horror movies from the 80s. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy, yet it still earns its R rating. I rather enjoyed it, and would encourage anyone looking for a fun Halloween movie to rent it as well.