Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror Movies I'm looking forward to this October
i have it coming in via netflix tomorrow and then some of the others you guys have suggested.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY may open nationwide, if 1 million of you Demand It!!!
a couple question:

1. "zombieland"....what's it rated? if it's R, is it because of violence or sex? my kids want to see this but i won't take them if there's a lot of sex.

2. [rec]...is this a foreign movie? if so, is it subtitled?
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=65969:date=Oct 8 2009, 08:07 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Oct 8 2009, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->a couple question:

1. "zombieland"....what's it rated? if it's R, is it because of violence or sex? my kids want to see this but i won't take them if there's a lot of sex.

2. [rec]...is this a foreign movie? if so, is it subtitled?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Zombieland is rated R. It's really not too bad violence wise if they've seen zombie movies in the past. The one thing I would be worried about is there is zombie boobs once or twice. No actual sex at all though.

REC is a Spanish film. I haven't seen it but i'm 99% sure it's subtitled.
[REC] is indeed subtitled (I can't remember if the DVD comes with a dubbed version), but there isn't a ton of dialog so it isn't painful to get through. See it, and skip the remake, Quarantine.
cool. if i have the funds, i'm gonna take the kids to see "zombieland" on monday. the best part of being a custodian at a school is i have columbus day off.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=65979:date=Oct 8 2009, 09:29 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 8 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[REC] is indeed subtitled (I can't remember if the DVD comes with a dubbed version), but there isn't a ton of dialog so it isn't painful to get through. See it, and skip the remake, Quarantine.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I second that. Still my favorite horror movie from the last 2 years.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Paranormal Activity is expanding to more theaters in the area. The online campaign is working...
i just noticed that it's playing about 20 minutes from my house so hopefully i'll be seeing it this weekend
<!--quoteo(post=65979:date=Oct 8 2009, 09:29 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 8 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[REC] is indeed subtitled (I can't remember if the DVD comes with a dubbed version), but there isn't a ton of dialog so it isn't painful to get through. See it, and skip the remake, Quarantine.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I believe it the DVD does come with the dubbed version. I prefer subtitles though.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
Saw Zombieland tonight. It was just ok IMO, sort of a letdown after the first 30 minutes, which were really fun and very well done. I dunno, I've enjoyed Paranormal Activity and Trick 'r Treat way more so far this Halloween season than this one. The cameo by Bill Murray was by far the best part of the film, and then it just sort of devolves into a run-of-the-mill action comedy. Not enough focus on the zombies and not nearly enough scares (which are essential for a true horror comedy) for my taste. In fact it wasn't scary at all, and not even as funny as I thought it should be. Anyway, it was a fun movie, but nothing special. I'll give it somewhere between 2.5 - 3/5 stars.
Agreed, rok. It didn't suck, but it wasn't a must see film either. Oh, and that cameo was great.

On the other side, I finally got a chance to see <i>[REC]</i>. Great movie. I was actually genuinely frightened at some points. I'm interested to see where they go in the sequel.

I really hope to get a chance to see Paranormal Activity. Looks like it could be something special.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

trick r treat was a mess but it was fun. a lot of little things about all the little story lines were better than the story itself as a whole. totally worth a halloween season view.
I saw Paranormal Activity last Thursday at the River East.

Thoughts:

- It was very effective and I got chills several times. When the girl gets out of bed the first time and just stands there staring at her boyfriend for hours as the film is sped up -- I got some serious shivers. That was really effective.

- I thought the Oujia board scene (when it lit on fire) was really the only time I felt it was a little hokey. I didn't feel it was necessary and it went more for a cheap scare.

- From the point when they put the powder on the floor, find the photo in the attic, and see the photo smashed until the end was just so tense. It worked so well because the entire movie was just a slow, methodical build. Really well done.

As an aside, I'll never understand moviegoers' desire to yell shit out at the screen. You aren't funny and you're ruining the experience for the 100 or so people surrounding you. Shut the fuck up and watch the movie. I guess when you see a midnight show in Chicago, you just have to expect that kind of thing...
Yeah, Butch, I had a very similar take on the above, but I actually dug the ouija scene.

Anyway, a few more to add to the list.

The Crazies. There's a strong possibility that it will suck, and it's a remake of an early (and sorta weak) Romero movie, but am willing to give it a chance:
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lEMZwQulT1Q&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lEMZwQulT1Q&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Carriers, which is almost the same exact theme as the above. I see a trend here...
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aiKLALlXG4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aiKLALlXG4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Another Zom-Com with some potential. The Revenant:
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NFT5Kd2y0jI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NFT5Kd2y0jI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>