Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerts & Shows
<!--quoteo(post=89300:date=Apr 15 2010, 12:43 AM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Apr 15 2010, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->2007 Decemberists at the Vic - The short-lived "Long and Short of It Tour" where they played all their epic songs the first night (and appropriately encored with Echoes) and then all their "singles" the next night. They cancelled the tour right after this show but both nights kicked ass and solidified my opinion that they are one of the most underated bands around (which is perfect!).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It still pisses me off that I missed out on this tour. I'd say my favorite show of theirs was from their last tour when they did Hazards of Love in its entirety. I love that fucking album and the live performance of it was amazing.
Man I just thought of another one: Saw New Riders of the Purple Sage with Dave Nelson in a tiny little town about 10 miles from Springfield called Auburn. There may have been only 50 -100 people but it was such a cool show. I believe that was in 96'.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=89286:date=Apr 14 2010, 08:42 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 14 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89283:date=Apr 14 2010, 08:22 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88856:date=Apr 14 2010, 01:00 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 14 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I haven't been to a ton of shows like some of you guys.

Radiohead at Grant Park a few years ago was pretty amazing.

The first concert I went to was Rolling Stones up in Wisconsin for the Steel Wheels tour. Supposedly their farewell tour.

The best hip-hop show I've seen was Cypress Hill/House of Pain/Funkdoobiest. I think that was '94 or '95.

Andrew Bird at the Old Town School of Folk Music was pretty great.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was at that Rolling Stones show, or at least one of them. It had rained for a week prior and the lawn seats were a literal mud slide.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was that show at Alpine? I've witnessed the literal mudslide there. One of my favorite runs of Dead shows were the '89 shows there and it pissed rain the first couple of days. We were under the roof so it was tolerable though the first night I was tripping really hard and they made no effort to organize the parking at all and the farm field/lot might as well have been a kid dumping his hot wheels on the carpet. By thee AM we still hadn't found the car in ankle deep mud and relentless rain. Hours of searching and ground you couldn't sit down on. I finally sat on a vacant folding chair outside a tent. An occupant of an adjacent tent stuck his head out to tell me his tent was vacant and that I could use it. I told him I was too muddy and couldn't. He insisted so I got to lie down for a bit. 30 minutes later my buddy came back to tell me he'd found the car. We were so muddy the rented Ford Tempo was trashed inside. We had to take our shoes to a car wash the next day. I vowed that the only way I would go back the second night was with the means to draw a map, triangulating the car's position to landmarks. Of course, the next night we lucked into rock star parking right on the main drive, right across from the entrance pavilion. It rained more the second night but not the third. As for the mudslide...half-naked hippies were literally using the side hills as slides and the main lawn was all mud...turf completely dislodged. It looked like a war zone. It was especially daunting to consider they had the Who coming in two days later. Coolest part of the third night was Jerry on stage well over ah hour before the show just to hear how the first iteration of Rosebud with midi on board sounded through the PA...those of us in early got to hear him play oboe and trumpet solos with his brand new toy.

Yep, similar story. Alpine Valley, tripping ass (among other things), and trudging through the parking lot looking for the limo. The driver waited for us at the wrong exit, realized his mistake and came to the right entrance, but by then we had walked to the wrong entrance, walked back and found the limo. We were covered in mud. We trashed that car.

The concert itself was mediocre at best. The highlight for me was watching "The Wall" in the limo, tripping. I would have been happier just staying in the car.
Wang.
NM
The Roots @ Bonnaroo 04
Umphrey's McGee @ The Riviera on New Years 04/05
Andrew Bird @ Millennium Park 08
The Mars Volta @ Bonnaroo 05
Katzenjammer @ Summerfest last year
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=89312:date=Apr 15 2010, 07:47 AM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Apr 15 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89300:date=Apr 15 2010, 12:43 AM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Apr 15 2010, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->2007 Decemberists at the Vic - The short-lived "Long and Short of It Tour" where they played all their epic songs the first night (and appropriately encored with Echoes) and then all their "singles" the next night. They cancelled the tour right after this show but both nights kicked ass and solidified my opinion that they are one of the most underated bands around (which is perfect!).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It still pisses me off that I missed out on this tour. I'd say my favorite show of theirs was from their last tour when they did Hazards of Love in its entirety. I love that fucking album and the live performance of it was amazing.

that riverside (I think) show I saw last year was phenomenal.
Hmmm. A few off the top of my head:

When Dylan first toured with his new band in spring of '95, I saw him at the Riv (or Vic, I forget), the Holiday Star, and Valparaiso U. Amazing shows. After the show at Valpo, we hung on the rafters off the left of the stage to watch the crowd thin out (so to speak), turned to our left, and saw the band hanging out right by us. Great group of guys.

Sugar at the Aragon in spring '94. I lost my Hawks ballcap in the pit and ran into my fiction writing teacher using tai chi to navigate the crowd. <i>Beaster
</i> had just been released. "JC Auto" at mega-decibels. Was in-freakin'-frakin-credible.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists in Columbus a few years back (<i>Living with the Living</i> time. A $5 show that was a relative steal. The crowd was light. I liked Leo before the show; I became a golf-tee-nipple fan of his by night's end.

The Stooges at Lolla a couple of years back reminded me what a great live performance was all about. They really showed the difference between studio bands (Modest Mouse live was a yawner) and rock 'n' roll showmen.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=89855:date=Apr 16 2010, 11:38 AM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Apr 16 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sugar at the Aragon in spring '94. I lost my Hawks ballcap in the pit and ran into my fiction writing teacher using tai chi to navigate the crowd. <i>Beaster
</i> had just been released. "JC Auto" at mega-decibels. Was in-freakin'-frakin-credible.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a pit at a Sugar show???
<!--quoteo(post=89859:date=Apr 16 2010, 01:40 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Apr 16 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89855:date=Apr 16 2010, 11:38 AM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Apr 16 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sugar at the Aragon in spring '94. I lost my Hawks ballcap in the pit and ran into my fiction writing teacher using tai chi to navigate the crowd. <i>Beaster
</i> had just been released. "JC Auto" at mega-decibels. Was in-freakin'-frakin-credible.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was at both Sugar shows I saw, yes.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=89861:date=Apr 16 2010, 11:43 AM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Apr 16 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89859:date=Apr 16 2010, 01:40 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Apr 16 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89855:date=Apr 16 2010, 11:38 AM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Apr 16 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sugar at the Aragon in spring '94. I lost my Hawks ballcap in the pit and ran into my fiction writing teacher using tai chi to navigate the crowd. <i>Beaster

There was at both Sugar shows I saw, yes.

Funny, I never actually saw Sugar, but used to listen to them quite a bit back then. I couldn't picture moshing to their music, but maybe the Husker Du connection would entice people to mosh at one of their shows?
Yeah, and remember that this was the early to mid-nineties. People were moshing at frickin' Shania Twain shows. "JC Auto," "Changes," "The Act We Act," are immensely moshable, IMO.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=89867:date=Apr 16 2010, 12:49 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Apr 16 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, and remember that this was the early to mid-nineties. People were moshing at frickin' Shania Twain shows. "JC Auto," "Changes," "The Act We ACt," are immensely moshable, IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes, I remember that era very well. Very few shows that I went to in the mid-90s <i>didn't</i> have mosh pits. I recall seeing Toad the Wet Sprocket and almost getting crushed by some fratboy douche who thought it would be totally rad to get a pit going. Beyond fucking annoying.
There was a pic of me crowd surfing in a mosh pit posted in the tribune the day after a Fugazi show at the aragon circa 1994ish.
<!--quoteo(post=89855:date=Apr 16 2010, 12:38 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Apr 16 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They really showed the difference between studio bands (Modest Mouse live was a yawner) and rock 'n' roll showmen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ruby.gif[/img]

I've seen Modest Mouse 3 times, I think, and they were pretty incredible each time.
<!--quoteo(post=90177:date=Apr 16 2010, 05:15 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Apr 16 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89855:date=Apr 16 2010, 12:38 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Apr 16 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They really showed the difference between studio bands (Modest Mouse live was a yawner) and rock 'n' roll showmen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ruby.gif[/img]

I've seen Modest Mouse 3 times, I think, and they were pretty incredible each time.
I'll respectfully disagree. I was majorly disappointed.
--Veryzer