Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerts & Shows
<!--quoteo(post=88905:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:59 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 14 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88861:date=Apr 14 2010, 01:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 14 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88860:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:09 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 14 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88857:date=Apr 14 2010, 01:05 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 14 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88856:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:00 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 14 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The best hip-hop show I've seen was Cypress Hill/House of Pain/Funkdoobiest. I think that was '94 or '95.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I totally can't picture you at a Cypress Hill concert.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm a very different person today than I was 16 years ago.
Back when you bought your White Sox gear because it was cool? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
I'll kill you.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=88916:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:07 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Apr 14 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In no particular order:

Pantera opening for Skid Row PCCC 92'
Phish at Jazz Fest 95'
The Moody Blues at Riverport 96' or 97'
Nine Inch Nails Rosemont 95'
Emerson Lake and Palmer opening for Jethro Tull Riverport 96' or 97"
Kenny Wayne Shepherd, The Neville Brothers, BB King Champaign - I want to say 97'<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I saw the Moodies on that tour in KC. I really liked it.
I've seen them twice now. If I had to pick a favorite show I would say that was it.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=88920:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:11 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Apr 14 2010, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've seen them twice now. If I had to pick a favorite show I would say that was it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I covered that show. I was very pleased with my photographs. My best friend's brother is a huge fan and he's got a large framed print from that my buddy gave him for his birthday. It's Justin and John side by side playing.
Very cool!
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=88927:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:16 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Apr 14 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Very cool!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll have to dig deep and find it. I was still using film then and I probably have the negatives. Back then, they weren't online.
I saw Ice Cube when I was in school at U of I. He played at the Assembly Hall.

This was probably the worst show I've seen. He was literally looking at his watch during most of his songs. I guess he had a flight to catch.
<!--quoteo(post=88933:date=Apr 14 2010, 12:28 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 14 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I saw Ice Cube when I was in school at U of I. He played at the Assembly Hall.

This was probably the worst show I've seen. He was literally looking at his watch during most of his songs. I guess he had a flight to catch.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Rappers are the worst. I saw Kayne West at a festival thing, and he got on stage and stopped mid-song to tell the crowd that HE was on stage now, so they had to actually get loud now, because they weren't cutting it. My friend and I immediately left.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
destined you are just seeing the wrong rappers. i went to a nas concert at eastern michigan university where royce da 5"9 went on before him and also brought a ton of other good people with him. that was a great show for me since royce is my favorite and nas is a legend. i also went to a rock the bells festival at first midwest bank amphitheater last year and i loved that as well. the second stage had a ton of underground stuff like sage francis and buckshot. also was nice to see slum village and i was parked next to the stage for slaughterhouse ( a group with royce and two others i really like in it.) on the main stage i seen talib kweli, the roots, and busta rhymes all of which i thought were great. also was headlined by nas and damian marley. those are the only shows ive been to but its hard to find shows i want to go to since i like strange music.
U2 at the Aragon, 1985
Replacements last show, 1991, Taste of Chicago
Paul Westerberg/Grant Lee Buffalo -1993 (I think it was the same night Joe Carter won the World Series).
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=88856:date=Apr 14 2010, 01:00 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 14 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I haven't been to a ton of shows like some of you guys.

Radiohead at Grant Park a few years ago was pretty amazing.

The first concert I went to was Rolling Stones up in Wisconsin for the Steel Wheels tour. Supposedly their farewell tour.

The best hip-hop show I've seen was Cypress Hill/House of Pain/Funkdoobiest. I think that was '94 or '95.

Andrew Bird at the Old Town School of Folk Music was pretty great.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was at that Rolling Stones show, or at least one of them. It had rained for a week prior and the lawn seats were a literal mud slide.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=89283:date=Apr 14 2010, 08:22 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88856:date=Apr 14 2010, 01:00 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 14 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I haven't been to a ton of shows like some of you guys.

Radiohead at Grant Park a few years ago was pretty amazing.

The first concert I went to was Rolling Stones up in Wisconsin for the Steel Wheels tour. Supposedly their farewell tour.

The best hip-hop show I've seen was Cypress Hill/House of Pain/Funkdoobiest. I think that was '94 or '95.

Andrew Bird at the Old Town School of Folk Music was pretty great.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was at that Rolling Stones show, or at least one of them. It had rained for a week prior and the lawn seats were a literal mud slide.

Was that show at Alpine? I've witnessed the literal mudslide there. One of my favorite runs of Dead shows were the '89 shows there and it pissed rain the first couple of days. We were under the roof so it was tolerable though the first night I was tripping really hard and they made no effort to organize the parking at all and the farm field/lot might as well have been a kid dumping his hot wheels on the carpet. By thee AM we still hadn't found the car in ankle deep mud and relentless rain. Hours of searching and ground you couldn't sit down on. I finally sat on a vacant folding chair outside a tent. An occupant of an adjacent tent stuck his head out to tell me his tent was vacant and that I could use it. I told him I was too muddy and couldn't. He insisted so I got to lie down for a bit. 30 minutes later my buddy came back to tell me he'd found the car. We were so muddy the rented Ford Tempo was trashed inside. We had to take our shoes to a car wash the next day. I vowed that the only way I would go back the second night was with the means to draw a map, triangulating the car's position to landmarks. Of course, the next night we lucked into rock star parking right on the main drive, right across from the entrance pavilion. It rained more the second night but not the third. As for the mudslide...half-naked hippies were literally using the side hills as slides and the main lawn was all mud...turf completely dislodged. It looked like a war zone. It was especially daunting to consider they had the Who coming in two days later. Coolest part of the third night was Jerry on stage well over ah hour before the show just to hear how the first iteration of Rosebud with midi on board sounded through the PA...those of us in early got to hear him play oboe and trumpet solos with his brand new toy.
great topic but like CC I've seen too many to give an off the cuff response without looking at all my tickets stubs.

Some that come to mind..

2009 My Morning Jacket at the Chicago Theater - I had seen them a couple times prior and in between had fallen in love with Okonokos (the DVD) and thought they'd never be able to top it. They did and I had money seats to enjoy every minute of it.

2003 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Vic - Amazing 5 night run of Petty, Cambell, and Co playing like they were in your living room. Simply amazing. Definitely in my top 3

1994 Phish at UIC Pavilion - I was dragged to my first phish show reluctantly and was pleasantly surprised...this was my second a month later. This time I went with more of an open mindeand was treated to a gem. Really any of the 15-25 shows I saw during the 93-95 years could be on this list. Always above and beyond what you get from most concerts.

2007 Decemberists at the Vic - The short-lived "Long and Short of It Tour" where they played all their epic songs the first night (and appropriately encored with Echoes) and then all their "singles" the next night. They cancelled the tour right after this show but both nights kicked ass and solidified my opinion that they are one of the most underated bands around (which is perfect!).

1994 Pink Floyd at Soldier Field - One of my favorite guitarists of all time with one of the coolest sound and light shows I had ever seen at the time. I can still hear the beginning to "run like hell" dancing around the entire fucking stadium...good stuff.

1993 Smashing Pumpkins at the Aragon - There's one thing the pumpkins and the aragon have in common...most of the time they both sound like shit live. Not this time. they were touring in support of Siamese Dream and fucking nailed the entire album live. I've heard boots of it and I wasn't imagining things...it really was that good. I also made out with my highschool sweatheart for the first time during Spaceboy (ahhhh).

2009 Band of Horses at HoB - Lolla after party...at first I didn't know if it was their playing or because everybody (including the band) was hyped up/drunk/etc from Lolla and therefore everything sounded better and was more fun but I saw them again the next day at Lolla and they confirmed it. These guys fucking rock and if you ever get a chance to see them, do it.

There's plenty more but i need to go to bed.
<!--quoteo(post=89286:date=Apr 14 2010, 07:42 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 14 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Of course, the next night we lucked into rock star parking right on the main drive, right across from the entrance pavilion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always say "rock star parking" when I find a great spot, just because when I first heard the expression it made no sense.

The best show I ever saw was Buck Owens. It is not just that I like his type of music, it was a great performance. He really rocked. Great guitar playing, amazing version of dueling banjos, trading solos with everyone in the band. I had a friend who drove a truck between SF and Bakersfield. He saw Owens many times, but said that was the best show he had seen.

I have seen so many bands, I have forgotten most of them. This year, I actually started writing them down. All different types of music, and many great shows, but Buck Owens was the best.
I like you guys a lot.
<!--quoteo(post=89302:date=Apr 15 2010, 12:54 AM:name=leonardsipes)-->QUOTE (leonardsipes @ Apr 15 2010, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89286:date=Apr 14 2010, 07:42 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 14 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Of course, the next night we lucked into rock star parking right on the main drive, right across from the entrance pavilion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always say "rock star parking" when I find a great spot, just because when I first heard the expression it made no sense.

The best show I ever saw was Buck Owens. It is not just that I like his type of music, it was a great performance. He really rocked. Great guitar playing, amazing version of dueling banjos, trading solos with everyone in the band. I had a friend who drove a truck between SF and Bakersfield. He saw Owens many times, but said that was the best show he had seen.

I have seen so many bands, I have forgotten most of them. This year, I actually started writing them down. All different types of music, and many great shows, but Buck Owens was the best.

I'm selective with the term. For me it's a parking space with literally the fewest steps to the door. So if it's across the sidewalk from a business entrance, there may be only two spots that If I get one, I'll say smugly "rock star <i>parking</i>."

I think I'll spin some Buck on the show tonight.

I never saw him live. The only guys of that generation I've ever seen are Willie, Merle and George.