Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerts & Shows
The Funeral is awesome live. I would have loved to see them in person.

Still haven't warmed up to their latest, though I listen to it from time to time.
The Black Angels and Black Mountain put on a great show last night at Metro. It was like being in a dream-like state for the Black Angels set. It's amazing how complex their wall of sound feels, especially live, and it gives you goosebumps. They honestly sound just as good, if not better, live. The only thing that surprised me was their look, which does not in any way match their vibe. Way too much flannel and hippie hats. I was expecting long hair, dark jeans and black leather, and instead got the Fleet Foxes on LSD. Anyway, that didn't matter, because they still rocked.

Black Mountain on the other hand was solid, but their musicianship wasn't as tight as I'd hoped. It took Amber Webber a few songs to warm up, and she was really straining to hit the high notes. Still, though, I think I'm in love with her. Their best performances were the heavier fuzzed out songs, but they tried to turn a few into jam sessions which dragged on a bit too long. All in all, it was a good show, just could have beet cut by 15 minutes or so.
Favorite concert of all time would have been Roger Waters 'Dark Side of the Moon' tour at the Acer Arena in Sydney from memory in 2006 or 2007. Not only the music unreal, but visually it was just spectacular.

Next would have to be Pearl Jam in 1995 at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney. 45,000 fans on a 110F day... Intense! Plus was like 5m to the stage away.

Then I would have to say, and I can't believe I am saying this, but Jewel at the Sydney Opera House. I took my mother there as a Christmas gift about 7 years ago. She played a solo acoustic gig and she was just brilliant. Was very surprised.

Others include:

Pennywise at the Vans Warped Tour in 1997
Unwritten Law at Coogee Beach Pub in 1998. They were supporting Blink 182 and they were a fuck load better.
Faith No More from memory was around 1994 or 1995 at the Hordern in Sydney.

Just went and saw Metallica at the Acer Arena. They were good, but not great.
Speaking of Roger Waters, he comes to LA this week and if I find out that Gilmour's appearance during the tour is at the Staples Center, I'm going to be beyond pissed. Having said that, I hope the concerts are riddled with feedback and power outages.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=120371:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:25 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 22 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Roger Waters, he comes to LA this week and if I find out that Gilmour's appearance during the tour is at the Staples Center, I'm going to be beyond pissed. Having said that, I hope the concerts are riddled with feedback and power outages.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Gilmour will appear with Waters?

Mason will appear on Top Gear.
<!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 10:30 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120371:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:25 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 22 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Roger Waters, he comes to LA this week and if I find out that Gilmour's appearance during the tour is at the Staples Center, I'm going to be beyond pissed. Having said that, I hope the concerts are riddled with feedback and power outages.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Gilmour is slated to appear for just one show. Where? When? That's a secret. London more than likely though.

Linkage
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=120326:date=Nov 22 2010, 07:14 AM:name=Dingo)-->QUOTE (Dingo @ Nov 22 2010, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Favorite concert of all time would have been Roger Waters 'Dark Side of the Moon' tour at the Acer Arena in Sydney from memory in 2006 or 2007. Not only the music unreal, but visually it was just spectacular.

Next would have to be Pearl Jam in 1995 at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney. 45,000 fans on a 110F day... Intense! Plus was like 5m to the stage away.

Then I would have to say, and I can't believe I am saying this, but Jewel at the Sydney Opera House. I took my mother there as a Christmas gift about 7 years ago. She played a solo acoustic gig and she was just brilliant. Was very surprised.

Others include:

Pennywise at the Vans Warped Tour in 1997
Unwritten Law at Coogee Beach Pub in 1998. They were supporting Blink 182 and they were a fuck load better.
Faith No More from memory was around 1994 or 1995 at the Hordern in Sydney.

Just went and saw Metallica at the Acer Arena. They were good, but not great.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I've seen Metallica twice, both in the late 90s, and they sucked something fierce. I was already to the point of writing them off back then, and their live shows were the final nail in their coffin in my eyes. Jerry Cantrell of AIC opened for them in one of those shows, and he completely blew them out of the water. Days of the New did as well. I forget who opened for them the 2nd time I saw them. The entire show was forgettable, and I never forgave my friend for suckering me into seeing them a 2nd time.

Anyway, the only way I'd go see them again live is if Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax were to accompany them as they did in Europe over the summer. I heard those shows were excellent.
<!--quoteo(post=120378:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:39 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 22 2010, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 10:30 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120371:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:25 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 22 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Speaking of Roger Waters, he comes to LA this week and if I find out that Gilmour's appearance during the tour is at the Staples Center, I'm going to be beyond pissed. Having said that, I hope the concerts are riddled with feedback and power outages.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gilmour is slated to appear for just one show. Where? When? That's a secret. London more than likely though.

Linkage
Don't they still hate each others guts?

Ok...followed the link and I have to say, that it was quite touching to read Waters' excitement over Gilmour joining him.

If they get along...there could be a reunion. And THAT, I'd pay real money to see.
<!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mason will appear on Top Gear.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The UK version? I love that show. The episode (from 2004, I think) where Nick Mason flew his helicopter in to let them borrow his Ferrari was great.

I watched the first episode of the US version last night on History and it wasn't nearly as good. The hosts suck compared to the UK version.
<!--quoteo(post=120421:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mason will appear on Top Gear.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The UK version? I love that show. The episode (from 2004, I think) where Nick Mason flew his helicopter in to let them borrow his Ferrari was great.

I watched the first episode of the US version last night on History and it wasn't nearly as good. The hosts suck compared to the UK version.

I knew if I ever mentioned TG here it would end up needing its own thread. That was Mason's second appearance. This was the first:

<i>Jeremy Clarkson introduces the Audi RS6 and drives it through the countryside. [bit of Clarkson actually cut]

Jeremy Clarkson [in car]: A lot of the rock aristocracy drive these Audis. Kenneth Jones, Mitch Mitchell... they make their fortunes and then they want something quiet and restrained in the autumn of their years. But it's like when they make one of those unplugged albums - they can never quite resist having forty-two lasers and an inflatable pig.

Yes, I want the Audi, I want it restrained - but oooohh, look at those wheel-arches, yes - the big grill on the front that's what I want, with FAT tyres.

Clarkson [voice over]: And this is rock star country. All the rock aristocracy ends up down here when the 14th album goes double-platinum. This for instance is Gordon Sting's back garden or Wiltshire as you call it. Except this bit - which his accountant nicked and he hasn't noticed yet. Everyone down here is in a rock band. And that makes pulling over and asking for directions a rare treat.

[Stops by a guy in a black jacket and a large blue umbrella who's walking through the drizzle]

Clarkson: Excuse me... Excuse me, could you tell me the way to Steve Winwood's house, please?

Nick Mason: Steve Winwood's - yes. Up here, till you get to Van Morrison's, left, up to Sting's trout lake, round that and at the T-junction at Peter Gabriel's you make a left.

Clarkson: OK - thanks very much. Uhm - what band are you in?

Mason: Uh - Pink Floyd.

Clarkson: Oh - you're the drummer, aren't you? 'Course you are.

Mason [makes a gesture with his face saying "Guess that's what I am, yes."]

Clarkson: Have you got an Audi?

Mason: [Face partly hidden behind the car, but you can still see he's grinning.] Uhm - a few.

Clarkson: Got one of these?

Mason: [Still grinning] Coming at Christmas.

Clarkson: Thanks very much.

Mason: Bye.

[Clarkson drives off, Mason walks on through the drizzle.] Back in the studio, first thing Clarkson is asked by one of his co-presenters: "Was that actually the drummer from Pink Floyd?" - "Yes, that was Nick Mason." </i>
<!--quoteo(post=120425:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120421:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mason will appear on Top Gear.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew if I ever mentioned TG here it would end up needing its own thread. That was Mason's second appearance. This was the first:

<i>Jeremy Clarkson introduces the Audi RS6 and drives it through the countryside. [bit of Clarkson actually cut]

Jeremy Clarkson [in car]: A lot of the rock aristocracy drive these Audis. Kenneth Jones, Mitch Mitchell... they make their fortunes and then they want something quiet and restrained in the autumn of their years. But it's like when they make one of those unplugged albums - they can never quite resist having forty-two lasers and an inflatable pig.

Yes, I want the Audi, I want it restrained - but oooohh, look at those wheel-arches, yes - the big grill on the front that's what I want, with FAT tyres.

Clarkson [voice over]: And this is rock star country. All the rock aristocracy ends up down here when the 14th album goes double-platinum. This for instance is Gordon Sting's back garden or Wiltshire as you call it. Except this bit - which his accountant nicked and he hasn't noticed yet. Everyone down here is in a rock band. And that makes pulling over and asking for directions a rare treat.

[Stops by a guy in a black jacket and a large blue umbrella who's walking through the drizzle]

Clarkson: Excuse me... Excuse me, could you tell me the way to Steve Winwood's house, please?

Nick Mason: Steve Winwood's - yes. Up here, till you get to Van Morrison's, left, up to Sting's trout lake, round that and at the T-junction at Peter Gabriel's you make a left.

Mason: [Face partly hidden behind the car, but you can still see he's grinning.] Uhm - a few.

[Clarkson drives off, Mason walks on through the drizzle.] Back in the studio, first thing Clarkson is asked by one of his co-presenters: "Was that actually the drummer from Pink Floyd?" - "Yes, that was Nick Mason." </i>

Oh yeah, now I remember that episode too. It's been quite awhile. I can't believe the show is going on 16 seasons already. I started watching it around season 4 (in 2004), but then I went back and downloaded the first few seasons I missed too. It's a great show. Not sure if I'll warm up to the US version or not. It may work for new viewers, but for the rest of us, it's hard not to compare it to the UK version, which means the hosts have some pretty big shoes to fill, and the chemistry just doesn't seem to be there, but we'll see what happens.
<!--quoteo(post=120427:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120425:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120421:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mason will appear on Top Gear.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh yeah, now I remember that episode too. It's been quite awhile. I can't believe the show is going on 16 seasons already. I started watching it around season 4 (in 2004), but then I went back and downloaded the first few seasons I missed too. It's a great show. Not sure if I'll warm up to the US version or not. It's hard not to compare it to the UK version, which means the hosts have some pretty big shoes to fill, and the chemistry just doesn't seem to be there, but we'll see what happens.
Fifteen series...eight years.

The US premier was terrible. It will get a lot better but probably not better enough to make me care. They can't replicate many of the things I love about the original. For one thing, the hosts are way too young.
<!--quoteo(post=120430:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:37 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120427:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120425:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120421:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mason will appear on Top Gear.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh yeah, now I remember that episode too. It's been quite awhile. I can't believe the show is going on 16 seasons already. I started watching it around season 4 (in 2004), but then I went back and downloaded the first few seasons I missed too. It's a great show. Not sure if I'll warm up to the US version or not. It's hard not to compare it to the UK version, which means the hosts have some pretty big shoes to fill, and the chemistry just doesn't seem to be there, but we'll see what happens.

The US premier was terrible. It will get a lot better but probably not better enough to make me care. They can't replicate many of the things I love about the original. For one thing, the hosts are way too young.

Yep, 16th starts in January.

Yes, it was terrible. And besides the hosts, it looks like they're just going to re-do everything that's already been done on the UK version, instead of actually doing something fresh or original.
<!--quoteo(post=120432:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:40 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120430:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:37 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120427:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120425:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120421:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mason will appear on Top Gear.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, it was terrible. And besides the hosts, it looks like they're just going to re-do everything that's already been done on the UK version, instead of actually doing something fresh or original.
And you can't hire chemistry. Even Hammond and Clarkson didn't really gel till they fired Dawe and hired May. And even then, it took them two whole series to begin playing to May's strength. Then it got great.

The US show will never have that rapport. And they say "dude." And they're putting the stars in a front-wheel drive car.
<!--quoteo(post=120434:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:45 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120432:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:40 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120430:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:37 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120427:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120425:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120421:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Nov 22 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=120373:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mason will appear on Top Gear.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And you can't hire chemistry. Even Hammond and Clarkson didn't really gel till they fired Dawe and hired May. And even then, it took them two whole series to begin playing to May's strength. Then it got great.

The US show will never have that rapport. And they say "dude." And they're putting the stars in a front-wheel drive car.

The original "Reasonably Priced Car" (the Suzuki Liana) was FWD. I used to own the American version (the Suzuki Aerio)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Aerio

But yeah, I agree that they should've picked a RWD......and I've been known to say "dude" as well. Sorry, old timer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img].