Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs Signed Howry. I'm Not Kidding
It's kind of strange really. Who would have thought a robot would decline so precipitously?
I'm not even sure what made him an effective pitcher last season...luck? Cause what I saw and what everyone saw of him with the Cubs was pure shit. Predictable pitches with no movement after predictable pitches with no movement all right down the middle of the plate.

EDIT: His babip against in 2008 was .345 and his last season was .238. His first two years with the Cubs was right around .295. I don't know if that means much, however.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Inking Howry to a minor league deal at the prorated MLB minimum is practically a no risk venture. If he returns to his 2009 form, we get an absolute steal (ala Edmonds & Reed Johnson). If he stinks up the joint, we plug him into mop up duty in Iowa until the expanded rosters. What's the problem?!? It's infinitely better than giving up a 2nd tier prospect for Howry-like veteran with slightly better numbers.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
<!--quoteo(post=97238:date=May 19 2010, 11:26 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ May 19 2010, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97228:date=May 19 2010, 10:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 19 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97225:date=May 19 2010, 10:20 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ May 19 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I gots an idea...

How's about we see what happens?

Like...you know...maybe we see if he's really as bad as we all think he is, and if he is...we move on.

If he's not...we get to be surprised...without all the histrionics.

Whaddya say?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So no one should ever criticize a move? Ever?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should totally criticize a move. It's our God given right.

You shouldn't completely fucking lose your shit because the Cubs may or may not have signed a bad reliever to a contract which may or may not end up with him being the 6th man out of the pen at some point this year.

Well I haven't even commented on the deal, but I guess you were referring to everyone in general. I don't think anyone has fucking lost their shit, but given Howry's history with us and since he left us, I can certainly see why people would be perturbed. In fact, I'd be more shocked if they weren't.

But I guess it's wrong to feel that way. We should wait until he actually sucks with us before we say anything. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of being in this kind of community, but whatever.
Wang.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are talking with right-handed reliever Bob Howry about bringing him back to the team. If a deal gets done, Howry could join the Cubs this weekend in Texas. The Cubs insisted no signing has been made, contrary to a report, but indications are that Howry will be in a Cubs uniform very soon.

Howry, a late-inning setup man for the Cubs from 2006 through 2008, cleared waivers Wednesday after being released by the Arizona Diamondbacks with a 10.67 ERA in 14 appearances.

'If it happens, it'll give us some experience in the bullpen from the right side,'' Piniella said. ''When we had him here before, he was a rock in the clubhouse and great with young pitchers.''<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure sounds to me like the plan is to give him an active roster spot immediately. If so and if its ok for me to say so without getting blasted..... its a bad idea on many levels. Fans hated Howry his last year, he is apt to get booed at Wrigley before he ever throws a pitch. He also had pretty much nothing as far as stuff goes and just got released by the worst pitching staff in the majors. If we sent him to Iowa to see if he could turn things around, thats one thing.... but just throwing him right into the pen? I'd rather just bring up Cashner or Parker or Jackson.
<!--quoteo(post=97262:date=May 20 2010, 06:37 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ May 20 2010, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are talking with right-handed reliever Bob Howry about bringing him back to the team. If a deal gets done, Howry could join the Cubs this weekend in Texas. The Cubs insisted no signing has been made, contrary to a report, but indications are that Howry will be in a Cubs uniform very soon.

Howry, a late-inning setup man for the Cubs from 2006 through 2008, cleared waivers Wednesday after being released by the Arizona Diamondbacks with a 10.67 ERA in 14 appearances.

'If it happens, it'll give us some experience in the bullpen from the right side,'' Piniella said. ''When we had him here before, he was a rock in the clubhouse and great with young pitchers.''<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure sounds to me like the plan is to give him an active roster spot immediately. If so and if its ok for me to say so without getting blasted..... its a bad idea on many levels. Fans hated Howry his last year, he is apt to get booed at Wrigley before he ever throws a pitch. He also had pretty much nothing as far as stuff goes and just got released by the worst pitching staff in the majors. If we sent him to Iowa to see if he could turn things around, thats one thing.... but just throwing him right into the pen? I'd rather just bring up Cashner or Parker or Jackson.

Dude, don't lose your fucking shit. You have to wait for him to suck before you can comment on this deal.
Wang.
Z was only buying us time in the pen rehabbing an injury, till Hendry could work out all the fine nuances required to put a fragile deal like this together. I knew Hendry had a world class arm in mind for the pen, all you naysayers. Perhaps we could have even brought Howry on board earlier so he could have contributed to the current 4-game winning streak if Z's bullpen rehab had been complete.
<!--quoteo(post=97248:date=May 20 2010, 12:01 AM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ May 20 2010, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97165:date=May 19 2010, 08:38 PM:name=BackyardLegend)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BackyardLegend @ May 19 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->First of all, Howry got cut from AZ, who I believe has the worst bullpen in the Majors.

Second, if this move is true, I hope it follows the same line as the Jose Hernandez trade of 2003—if you catch my drift.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You're hoping we give up Mark Bellhorn for him?

No, I'm hoping that this is the precursor to a better move.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
<!--quoteo(post=97264:date=May 20 2010, 06:58 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 20 2010, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97262:date=May 20 2010, 06:37 AM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ May 20 2010, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are talking with right-handed reliever Bob Howry about bringing him back to the team. If a deal gets done, Howry could join the Cubs this weekend in Texas. The Cubs insisted no signing has been made, contrary to a report, but indications are that Howry will be in a Cubs uniform very soon.

Dude, don't lose your fucking shit. You have to wait for him to suck before you can comment on this deal.

Good point Tom. Cuz that's EXACTLY what I said.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
There's an open spot on the 40 man. He can take Caridad's place, whom he won't be any worse than. If he sucks, ditch him. If he doesn't, great. Low risk, probably low reward, but nothing to really get upset about. It's not gonna cost much to see if he can get his shit together.

Edit: Stevens' place.
<!--quoteo(post=97273:date=May 20 2010, 07:46 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ May 20 2010, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97264:date=May 20 2010, 06:58 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 20 2010, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97262:date=May 20 2010, 06:37 AM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ May 20 2010, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are talking with right-handed reliever Bob Howry about bringing him back to the team. If a deal gets done, Howry could join the Cubs this weekend in Texas. The Cubs insisted no signing has been made, contrary to a report, but indications are that Howry will be in a Cubs uniform very soon.

Good point Tom. Cuz that's EXACTLY what I said.

No, that's EXACTLY what Rapp said. I threw in the "losing your shit" part as a bonus, because I don't think anyone really lost their shit.
Wang.
The move should be low risk and Howry usually does pitch better as the season progresses. Some folks associate his seasonal improvement with warmer weather - and we all know that Chicago is a lot warmer than Arizona.

Not going to lose my shit until he gives up that 2 run HR on a 90 mph fastball with no movement. My guess is that this happens in his third outing.
<!--quoteo(post=97319:date=May 20 2010, 11:30 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ May 20 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The move should be low risk and Howry usually does pitch better as the season progresses. Some folks associate his seasonal improvement with warmer weather - and we all know that Chicago is a lot warmer than Arizona.

Not going to lose my shit until he gives up that 3 run HR on a 85 mph fastball with no movement. My guess is that this happens in his first outing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Fixed.
I'm not going to flip out, but surely we have someone in our minor league system who can pitch better than Howry.
<!--quoteo(post=97324:date=May 20 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ May 20 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not going to flip out, but surely we have someone in our minor league system who can pitch better than Howry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed but Hendry has a hard on for a veteran, right hander. The bullpen just needed someone who has to shave more frequently than once a week.