Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about Brenly?
In the "Fire Lou" thread, a lot of people ask the very good question, "Yeah, Lou kinda sucks, and seems more disinterested than Ken Griffey Jr. this season, but who do we replace him with?"
I'd prefer Brenly to Trammel or Ryno. Brenly has has faults. He also has a ring.
I kind of agree with everything he says in this article:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Brenly: Cubs lack fundamentals

Chicago Cubs television color analyst Bob Brenly has seen various levels of success from the North Siders in his five-plus seasons in the booth, but there has been one constant.

It's a lack of fundamentals, he said, and it frustrated him again Tuesday night at Wrigley Field.

"Ever since I've been here in Chicago, even going back to the Dusty Baker days, these teams -- and you hate to lump them all together because obviously there's different personnel every year -- but the same problems keep coming up, poor baserunning, poor defense," Brenly said Wednesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "The lack of timely hitting affects every team in the major leagues at one point or another, but it's the lack of solid fundamentals on a daily basis that really gets to me, and I think gets to a lot of fans.

"It's not playing the game the way it needs to be played to give yourself a chance to win."

Derrek Lee made two of the Cubs' four errors Tuesday as the Cubs fell 9-5 to the Oakland Athletics. It was the Cubs' 10th loss in their last 14 games, and they could fall nine games under .500 on Wednesday for the first time since 2007.

"I'm sure Derrek Lee wasn't trying to make errors last night, he's one of the best defensive first basemen in the game," Brenly said. "But the thing that was disconcerting to me was after the two errors, he didn't get in position to take a relay throw from center field from Marlon Byrd.

"And then in the next inning, there was a double hit off the wall in center field, and on that play the two middle infielders go out as a double cut-off. The first baseman is supposed to trail the batter as he goes from first to second. Derrek was just standing at first base. Those are the kinds of things that can be avoided. It takes a little focus, a little concentration, and in Derrek's case last night, he got a little distracted and forgot about what he was supposed to be doing out there."

Brenly, who managed the Arizona Diamondbacks to division championships in 2001 and '02, as well as the 2001 World Series title, also took exception to Cubs manager Lou Piniella batting pitcher Carlos Zambrano in the bottom of the sixth. There were two outs with a runner on second and the Cubs trailing 5-4. Zambrano popped to second, and then was relieved at the top of the seventh.

"No, I wasn't particularly enamored with that move," Brenly said. "I said it on the air, Zambrano is a good hitting pitcher, there's no question about that. But let's don't get carried away.

"I would much rather have the worst pinch hitter I have available off the bench up at the plate rather than any pitcher. I just don't think there's anybody in the major leagues right now -- and that includes Micah Owings, who may be the best hitting pitcher to come down the pike in a long time -- I would rather have a hitter up there. Even if it means you have to burn one of your players."

Brenly didn't blame any one person for the Cubs' struggles this season. <b>In fact, he suggested it could be an organizational issue.</b>

"It's hard to say without watching it on a daily basis and seeing what is being taught and what isn't being taught, but certainly I think any organization strives to have consistency in instruction," Brenly said. "If [hitting coach] Rudy Jaramillo is going to be your hitting coach at the major league level for a number of years, you would think all throughout the minor league system we would be teaching what Rudy wants the guys to know when they get to the major leagues.

"I don't know if every organization is that way. I don't know if the Cubs are that way. It seems to me that the organizations that have the steady producers from their farm systems, the guys who come up and already know what system is in place in the big leagues and can step right in and be a contributing member of the team, those are the teams that are usually at the top of the standings at the end of the season."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I'd love Brenly. I know he's Fella's main choice as well. I can't remember the last time I disagreed with Brenly on anything. He's always saying the same crap I'm thinking and I don't think he'd have the tolerance of some of this shit that Lou apparently does.
@TheBlogfines
I'd also love to see Brenly managing this team. Lou has lost his spark, and possibly portions of his mind as well.
Ryno is my favorite baseball player of all time, I want him to get a chance based on my fondness for him, but I don't know much about his philosophy or approach. I too always seem to agree with Brenly and I think these Cubs teams, even when they've been good and make the playoffs, are weak on fundamentals, hustle and baseball IQ. If today Brenly was brought in to take over the team I'd love it. I'd love to see him kick a little ass and bring in a better approach. It's easier said than done, but I don't even hear Lou's staff talking big about the little things. When they do it doesn't sound legit to me.

It's not even about wanting Lou out for me as much as just wanting to see a manager who is obsessed with doing things "right" in there. I think Brenly is one of those guys, or at least he appears to be. Plus he's the right age in my mind, not too old and not too young, he knows the players throughout the system as well and anyone they'd hire, he has a ring and had a successful career, and he seems like he doesn't take much shit. Do it.
<!--quoteo(post=101779:date=Jun 16 2010, 05:40 PM:name=MrSheps)-->QUOTE (MrSheps @ Jun 16 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I too always seem to agree with Brenly and I think these Cubs teams, even when they've been good and make the playoffs, are weak on fundamentals, hustle and baseball IQ. If today Brenly was brought in to take over the team I'd love it. I'd love to see him kick a little ass and bring in a better approach. It's easier said than done, but I don't even hear Lou's staff talking big about the little things. When they do it doesn't sound legit to me.
It's not even about wanting Lou out for me as much as just wanting to see a manager who is obsessed with doing things "right" in there. I think Brenly is one of those guys, or at least he appears to be. Plus he's the right age in my mind, not too old and not too young, he knows the players throughout the system as well and anyone they'd hire, he has a ring and had a successful career, and he seems like he doesn't take much shit. Do it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sheps post pretty much sums up how I feel.
When he was with the D-Backs, Brenly had a rep as a kind of easy-going "player's manager," but I seriously doubt he'd be that way now. He was a young first-timer, inheriting a <i>really</i> veteran team.

In fact, I think he deserves some credit for guiding that D-backs team. That would be a truly intimidating clubhouse to be thrown into: Raging egomaniacs like Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling, set-in-their-ways guys like Mark Grace and Jay Bell, the steroid-crazed Matt Johnson, <i>really</i> curious personalities like Danny Bautista and Byung-Yung Kim...not the easiest ship to steer. And he led them to a championship.

And I think he's learned a lot<i> since</i> then.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=101768:date=Jun 16 2010, 05:21 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 16 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd love Brenly. I know he's Fella's main choice as well. I can't remember the last time I disagreed with Brenly on anything. He's always saying the same crap I'm thinking and I don't think he'd have the tolerance of some of this shit that Lou apparently does.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Couldn't agree more. I would love it.
Brenly is my number one choice. I keep pushing the Tram as interim thing mainly because I see an interim thing happening if Piniella gets fired this season. Brenly is not an interim. I just don't know how it works in terms of the grooming Ryno thing. If I thought Brenly would still be manager next year if he were given the job this year...I'd be all over it. Frankly, and I really hate to say this....I could give a shit about Ryno managing. I see zero reason to believe a HoFer from a very different era can be a successful manager. Superstars have never made good managers.
I'm surprised we didn't hire Brenly when we sent Uncle Toothpick packing.
We could do worse.
I wouldn't complain if we hired Brenly to manage, but I have a feeling he doesn't want the job, and I don't blame him.
<!--quoteo(post=101835:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:37 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 16 2010, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't complain if we hired Brenly to manage, but I have a feeling he doesn't want the job, and I don't blame him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
What gives you the idea that he wouldn't want the job?
<!--quoteo(post=101837:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:43 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101835:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:37 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 16 2010, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't complain if we hired Brenly to manage, but I have a feeling he doesn't want the job, and I don't blame him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He turned down the Brewers job last year and was rumored to be approached for other opportunities in the past yet nothing came of any of it, so it seems as though he might be waiting for a perfect scenario to jump back into managing. The Cubs are a team in transition, with no clear direction, and it is hard for me to see Brenly jumping into a mess like this. Plus, Brenly has seen how quickly fortunes can turn on a dime here, and it is never pretty. After all, these are the Cubs.
<!--quoteo(post=101838:date=Jun 16 2010, 09:51 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 16 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101837:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:43 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 16 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101835:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:37 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 16 2010, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't complain if we hired Brenly to manage, but I have a feeling he doesn't want the job, and I don't blame him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He turned down the Brewers job last year and was rumored to be approached for other opportunities in the past yet nothing came of any of it, so it seems as though he might be waiting for a perfect scenario to jump back into managing. The Cubs are a team in transition, with no clear direction, and it is hard for me to see Brenly jumping into a mess like this. Plus, Brenly has seen how quickly fortunes can turn on a dime here, and it is never pretty. After all, these are the Cubs.
I think he wants the Cubs job. I really believe that the reason he hasn't taken another is that he'll take the "perfect" gig, or the Cub job; which ever is offered to him first. He sees the team everyday, he knows the team and their abilities just as well if not more so than Lou. I tend to think him knowing how things are, and his opinions on what needs to be done, outweighs a scenario where he goes to Baltimore(just an example) in a different league and has to take the time to learn of his teams tendencies and personalities.

That said, I don't know what the reaction of the clubhouse would be. Soriano might not be too happy.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Didn't he interview in '07? I think he definitely wants it.
Did Brenley win a ring because he was a great manager, or did Johnson and Schilling win rings because they were the two best pitchers in baseball?

I'm not sold on Brenley.
Wang.