Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NY Daily News: Piniella to retire at season's end
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Lou Piniella is retiring as manager of the Chicago Cubs effective at the end of the season, the Daily News has learned.

The 67-year old Piniella, who led the Cubs to NL Central division titles in 2007 and 2008, is in the last year of his contract but has endured a particularly stressful season in which the team is mired in fourth-place, 10 1/2 games out.

Piniella currently ranks 14th in the all-time managers' win list.

Piniella, who played for the Yankees from 1974-1984, managed the Yankees from 1986 to 1987. He was promoted to general manager to start the 1988 season and took over as manager after the firing of Billy Martin on June 23 of that year. Piniella managed the Cincinnati Reds between 1990 and 1992, a tenure that included winning the 1990 World Series against the heavily-favored Oakland Athletics.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
No surprise here really, but at least it's good to get that out of the way before we get closer to the end of the season. Time to officially start the manager search.
Out with the old, in with the new.
<!--quoteo(post=106496:date=Jul 20 2010, 01:13 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Jul 20 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Out with the old, in with the new.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's just hope the new actually has strategy and fire enough to bring this team back to life. So, lame duck with a team out of contention, this will be a fun 2nd half to watch as the cubs get kicked around.
Dylan McKay is my hero
Good riddance.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
So that's, what, another $4 million coming off the books?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

So, are people still speculating that he will take on some sort of executive role with the Yanks now? I don't see him as any sort of ambassador of the game, so that talk has always confused me.
<!--quoteo(post=106501:date=Jul 20 2010, 01:26 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 20 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good riddance.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh come on, yeah he's frustrating but I'm not going to hold any ill will towards him. He's not dustbag.
<!--quoteo(post=106503:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, are people still speculating that he will take on some sort of executive role with the Yanks now? I don't see him as any sort of ambassador of the game, so that talk has always confused me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Levine just said on ESPNNEWS that Lou might stay on as a Cubs consultant. I don't see how that benefits the team to be honest.
<!--quoteo(post=106504:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:34 AM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 20 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106501:date=Jul 20 2010, 01:26 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 20 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good riddance.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh come on, yeah he's frustrating but I'm not going to hold any ill will towards him. He's not dustbag.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, but Lou lost his fire when Loney went slammer on us.
<!--quoteo(post=106506:date=Jul 20 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 20 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106503:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, are people still speculating that he will take on some sort of executive role with the Yanks now? I don't see him as any sort of ambassador of the game, so that talk has always confused me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Levine just said on ESPNNEWS that Lou might stay on as a Cubs consultant. I don't see how that benefits the team to be honest.
That's like what happened with Grady Little a while back. Why bother? Do we need another overpaid fossil hanging around just collecting a paycheck? Whatever.
<!--quoteo(post=106508:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:45 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2010, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106506:date=Jul 20 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 20 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106503:date=Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, are people still speculating that he will take on some sort of executive role with the Yanks now? I don't see him as any sort of ambassador of the game, so that talk has always confused me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's like what happened with Grady Little a while back. Why bother? Do we need another overpaid fossil hanging around just collecting a paycheck? Whatever.
It only works if they have power like Bill Parcells in Miami. He could pull strings. You really think Lou can give good advice when he pinch hits Fontenot for Soto in the 9th inning, down a couple runs? No way. Just collecting a paycheck like you said, rok. I'd rather spend that 50,000 on something worthwhile.
I can't believe all of the negativity towards Lou. If there is one knock, it's post season performance, but that's mainly the players.
I think Lou brings a lot to the team that you never see. He's one of those "dumb as a fox" guys. What you see on camera and quotes is what he wants you to see.

No doubt, he's a character, much like Ditka was, but he has overseen the best stretch of Cubs baseball in my lifetime as a Cub fan (almost 40 years now).
He's my Ditka--and it's going to real hard for anyone behind him to replicate this current string of winning.

I do believe that we will end up over .500, and with the right things falling into place (with injuries befalling both the reds and Cards) we could really make a run at it.
Who knows, maybe this announcement immediately lights a fire? (also could be gas on it as well).

The guy we need is Dave Duncan, even just as a Pitching coach--I hate the guy, but he sure performs miracles on pitchers.
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
I haven't minded him while he's been here, and at times I have liked him.....but I said "out with the old" because I do think it's time for him to move on, and for us to move on as well.
Hopefully it will light a fire under them tonight, as I will be there. I'm with you though, sure I hated a lot of his decisions, but I don't dislike him. There's no such thing as a perfect manager, we will find just as many annoying things about whoever replaces him. I don't think this came as a surprise to anyone, I wish him all the best.

Jeffy, I agree. I want to move on because I think its the best for all parties.