Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NY Daily News: Piniella to retire at season's end
<!--quoteo(post=107461:date=Jul 23 2010, 09:16 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 23 2010, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From TCR:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->In case you doubted it, Joe Girardi is more interested in winning another World Series right now than in discussing the soon-to-be-open job with the Cubs.
From the New York Daily News (which broke the Piniella story in the first place):

“I figured this would come up once Lou announced his retirement. I have a responsibility to this club and the guys in that room, and that’s my concern. People can speculate all they want, but that’s my concern right now. I don’t really think much about it.”

And also this:

“I love it here; I’ve loved my time here,” Girardi said. “I put my kids in school here and they’re enrolled to go to school here next fall. There’s going to be talk; I grew up there, I grew up a Cubs fan, I went to Northwestern, I lived in Chicago. But my concern is right now.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I get this weird sense that he is definitely interested in the job, even though I still believe he'd be a fool to walk away from NY.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's still the smartest way for him to send the message to the Yankees not to take him for granted.
Bingo, Lou Piniella retiring in the middle of the season with all the publicity it got is the best thing to happen to Girardi. He is in position now to squeeze the yanks and make sure they reward him handsomely at the end of this year. Worst case, he goes and manages his childhood team, a team he played for and was a leader for, and gets to live in a city he loves. Win-Win.
Dylan McKay is my hero
I think a lot of people -- especially Yankees fans -- are selling short the draw of being the one who finally leads the Cubs to the promised land. Girardi won with the Yankees? Big deal. Anyone could win with the Yankees. Do you think anyone -- Yankees fans included -- will give Girardi a second thought when remembering winning the World Series when they had a roster filled with All Stars?
<!--quoteo(post=107480:date=Jul 23 2010, 10:07 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 23 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think a lot of people -- especially Yankees fans -- are selling short the draw of being the one who finally leads the Cubs to the promised land. Girardi won with the Yankees? Big deal. Anyone could win with the Yankees. Do you think anyone -- Yankees fans included -- will give Girardi a second thought when remembering winning the World Series when they had a roster filled with All Stars?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think anyone is selling that idea short. Whether the Yakees or the Cubs are Girardi's first choice, Willis is right. Joe's in the catbird seat. He can't lose.

My guess is that he's trying to leverage this now because it only helps him until the Cubs offer someone the job. That won't happen till after the season but he'll probably try to lock in his Yankees extension now...or rather, force the Yankees to want him to bad enough to throw a pile of money at him.
Not to diminish what Joe has done, but you could put Ronnie Woo Woo in the Yanks dugout and still get the same results. If he decided to play hardball with the organization, they could replace him rather easily and would have plenty of takers.
Met Joe and his wife when I was going to college. The guy is the missing link. He's a great guy, passionate competitor, solid leader. Haven't had a conversation with him since early 1990s so absolutely no inside information. Both he and his wife have roots in Chicago area. I would love from him to replace Lou but I don't see it happening.
I dunno. With the Yankees, barring some unforeseen malaria malady in the clubhouse, Girardi's got a job as long as he wants it, most likely. The Yankees will keep winning, enough to keep the powers that be happy, no doubt. (Can Hank Steinbrenner really be as trigger-happy as his old man?) If the Cubs don't win a Series in four years under Girardi, the fans will inevitably turn on him, clamoring for his removal.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=107482:date=Jul 23 2010, 10:11 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 23 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107480:date=Jul 23 2010, 10:07 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 23 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think a lot of people -- especially Yankees fans -- are selling short the draw of being the one who finally leads the Cubs to the promised land. Girardi won with the Yankees? Big deal. Anyone could win with the Yankees. Do you think anyone -- Yankees fans included -- will give Girardi a second thought when remembering winning the World Series when they had a roster filled with All Stars?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think anyone is selling that idea short. Whether the Yakees or the Cubs are Girardi's first choice, Willis is right. Joe's in the catbird seat. He can't lose.

My guess is that he's trying to leverage this now because it only helps him until the Cubs offer someone the job. That won't happen till after the season but he'll probably try to lock in his Yankees extension now...or rather, force the Yankees to want him to bad enough to throw a pile of money at him.
Plenty of people are selling that idea short. Ask ten Yankees fans if they think Girardi might leave the Yankees for Chicago. I guarantee nine of them will say, "Why would anyone leave a team that always wins to go to a team that always loses?"
<!--quoteo(post=107504:date=Jul 23 2010, 11:00 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 23 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107482:date=Jul 23 2010, 10:11 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 23 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107480:date=Jul 23 2010, 10:07 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 23 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think a lot of people -- especially Yankees fans -- are selling short the draw of being the one who finally leads the Cubs to the promised land. Girardi won with the Yankees? Big deal. Anyone could win with the Yankees. Do you think anyone -- Yankees fans included -- will give Girardi a second thought when remembering winning the World Series when they had a roster filled with All Stars?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Plenty of people are selling that idea short. Ask ten Yankees fans if they think Girardi might leave the Yankees for Chicago. I guarantee nine of them will say, "Why would anyone leave a team that always wins to go to a team that always loses?"

All I can say is that it's a darned shame those people don't have more influence on the outcome.
I know it's probably a pipe dream, but Girardi was my first choice in '07 and he's my first choice this time around. His quote doesn't mean a whole lot, but I still think he ends up staying in NY...but I'm sure he'll give the Cubs serious consideration. Butch is right in the respect that the Cubs job is a manager's dream job, if only for the challenge of being the guy to finally bring a World Series win to the Northsiders.
Saw Ricketts after game and mentioned the view of one drunken Cubs fan that Girardi was his man. Mentioned how I knew Joe and and he asked me about people thought of Joe in college. Ricketts is very engaging even with idiot fans like myself. It ended with him saying that there are a number of great candidates out there and it will be a difficult choice. Great bs line but it came off as sincere at the time
<!--quoteo(post=107628:date=Jul 23 2010, 05:09 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jul 23 2010, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Saw Ricketts after game and mentioned the view of one drunken Cubs fan that Girardi was his man. Mentioned how I knew Joe and and he asked me about people thought of Joe in college. Ricketts is very engaging even with idiot fans like myself. It ended with him saying that there are a number of great candidates out there and it will be a difficult choice. Great bs line but it came off as sincere at the time<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Did you tell him to shitcan Jim Hendry?
Did you tell him "I love you, man."
Did you follow him to the bathroom and tell him that he sucked?
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=107920:date=Jul 26 2010, 10:31 AM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Jul 26 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Did you follow him to the bathroom and tell him that you sucked?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed.