Poll: Who do you want?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bob Brenly
25.71%
9 25.71%
Bobby Cox
5.71%
2 5.71%
Joe Girardi
48.57%
17 48.57%
Ryne Sandberg
17.14%
6 17.14%
Joe Torre
0%
0 0%
Alan Trammell
0%
0 0%
Bobby Valentine
2.86%
1 2.86%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick your manager
<!--quoteo(post=107954:date=Jul 26 2010, 12:05 PM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 26 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I agreee currently he probably isn't. Nut my reference was if the team goes with Brenly or Girardi or whoever other than Sandberg, with his continued success someone will pluck him, not this year or next, but within a few years. At least for a bench coach. I guess when I spoke and used the word gobbled up I should have said in the next few years if he continues to kick ass as a minor league manager.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not just you. I've heard this concern a lot. It seems to me the simplest thing in the world is to (assuming someone other than Ryno get's the job) birng him up and put him on the coaching staff. Just advance his career the next step. managing the Cubs (or any other club) does not have to be his next job...this year or down the road. He can be kept happy with advancement short of becoming skipper.
I think that if Sandberg is passed over, he will wait until his time comes. I've felt along that Sandberg is being groomed to manage the Cubs, and if it doesn't happen this year, it will eventually. I think Sandberg bides his time.

Having said that, I don't think he gets passed over. I think the Sandberg era begins in November.
Wang.
I think he would be fine with coming on as the bench coach like Trammel is if the direction went with an older candidate (Cox or Torre) or even Brenly. I think he would be completely happy with that. And I think that is very important. Is the guy ready to manage the big leagues in this situation right now? I guess we'll wait and see, but I get the feeling that regardless it will end up being him getting the big dog position.

Dylan McKay is my hero
I can't imagine another team would hire Sandberg at this point. Assuming that we aren't even sold on him, other organizations are probably even less so. It would be nice though if they promoted him to bench coach or 3B coach if we did go with Brenly. I still get the sense that he could use more experience dealing with big league egos, but maybe it isn't such a big deal considering he played the game for so long. But managing and playing are completely different experiences. At the same time, if we are going younger, it helps that Ryno has managed some of these people already.
<!--quoteo(post=108001:date=Jul 26 2010, 01:41 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 26 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't imagine another team would hire Sandberg at this point. Assuming that we aren't even sold on him, other organizations are probably even less so. It would be nice though if they promoted him to bench coach or 3B coach if we did go with Brenly. I still get the sense that he could use more experience dealing with big league egos, but maybe it isn't such a big deal considering he played the game for so long. But managing and playing are completely different experiences. At the same time, if we are going younger, it helps that Ryno has managed some of these people already.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, on the other side of the coin...when it comes to dealing with egos, "I'm a Hall of Famer you whiny little douchebag" might be a persuasive argument for his opinions on how to play the game.
Whoever it is I hope they have fire. I want about 10 ejections a year at least and hold players accountable for their dumb shit mistakes and efforts. Sandberg will be fine, but a few years of coaching at this level before being thrown completely into the fire surely couldn't hurt.

For Theriot's sake, I hope he is gone before (if I guess) Ryno gets to the team. I can imagine those two would become enemies immediately with Theriot's dumb shit plays out in the field.
Dylan McKay is my hero
I think that none of us really has any idea what Ryno thinks. I'd guess he's tired of busing around from town to town in the minors though.
And Ryno does have fire. He's been tossed quite a bit in the minors. I just worry about his traditionalists views and small balls to the wall approach. I have no idea if he'd be a good manager. I have a pretty good idea that Brenley and Girardi will be pretty good. At the end of the day the Manager doesn't have as much to do with the success of a baseball team as the GM. That's where my concern lies.
I don't care about fire. I just want the manager to be awake for the entire season and to be able to fill out a lineup card properly and not be obsessed with handedness.
<!--quoteo(post=108013:date=Jul 26 2010, 01:55 PM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 26 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Whoever it is I hope they have fire. I want about 10 ejections a year at least and hold players accountable for their dumb shit mistakes and efforts. Sandberg will be fine, but a few years of coaching at this level before being thrown completely into the fire surely couldn't hurt.

For Theriot's sake, I hope he is gone before (if I guess) Ryno gets to the team. I can imagine those two would become enemies immediately with Theriot's dumb shit plays out in the field.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the fans expected Lou to fit that mold perfectly when he was hired. Coming from Baylor and Baker, who were more laid back player-manager types, Lou was supposed to be the fired up stickler for good ball. I guess that didn't really pan out.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=108019:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Ryno does have fire. He's been tossed quite a bit in the minors. I just worry about his traditionalists views and small balls to the wall approach. I have no idea if he'd be a good manager. I have a pretty good idea that Brenley and Girardi will be pretty good. At the end of the day the Manager doesn't have as much to do with the success of a baseball team as the GM. That's where my concern lies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm enjoying the trend back toward small ball, defense and pitching and away from relying on the long ball.
<!--quoteo(post=108026:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:07 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 26 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108019:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Ryno does have fire. He's been tossed quite a bit in the minors. I just worry about his traditionalists views and small balls to the wall approach. I have no idea if he'd be a good manager. I have a pretty good idea that Brenley and Girardi will be pretty good. At the end of the day the Manager doesn't have as much to do with the success of a baseball team as the GM. That's where my concern lies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm enjoying the trend back toward small ball, defense and pitching and away from relying on the long ball.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And yet the Cubs have been winning more because they're hitting more home runs lately.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=108035:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:14 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 26 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108026:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:07 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 26 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108019:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Ryno does have fire. He's been tossed quite a bit in the minors. I just worry about his traditionalists views and small balls to the wall approach. I have no idea if he'd be a good manager. I have a pretty good idea that Brenley and Girardi will be pretty good. At the end of the day the Manager doesn't have as much to do with the success of a baseball team as the GM. That's where my concern lies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And yet the Cubs have been winning more because they're hitting more home runs lately.

I meant league-wide.
<!--quoteo(post=108042:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:25 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 26 2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108035:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:14 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 26 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108026:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:07 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 26 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108019:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Ryno does have fire. He's been tossed quite a bit in the minors. I just worry about his traditionalists views and small balls to the wall approach. I have no idea if he'd be a good manager. I have a pretty good idea that Brenley and Girardi will be pretty good. At the end of the day the Manager doesn't have as much to do with the success of a baseball team as the GM. That's where my concern lies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I meant league-wide.

Oh yeah, totally.
Wang.