Poll: Who do you want?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bob Brenly
25.71%
9 25.71%
Bobby Cox
5.71%
2 5.71%
Joe Girardi
48.57%
17 48.57%
Ryne Sandberg
17.14%
6 17.14%
Joe Torre
0%
0 0%
Alan Trammell
0%
0 0%
Bobby Valentine
2.86%
1 2.86%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick your manager
I'll take Valentine please.
Valentine is doing some serious ass kissing tonight, so he seems to want the Cubs job. No thanks. He's kind of a hot-head douche.

To me it's a virtual tie between Girardi and Ryno, but I don't think Girardi leaves NY for obvious reasons.

With some reservations, I'll take my chances with Ryno, but if Joe becomes available, I'd lean toward him.

I'd like Brenly to stay in the booth.
Sad part is I don't see Brenly staying a whole lot longer if there is another managerial position open.
I want Girardi, but he'd be a fool to leave New York, so i gave my vote to Sandberg, only because he'd have a better grasp of what Cub culture is really like. Lou and Dusty were solid managers before they came to the Cubs, but neither had a clue about what they were getting into. At least Sandberg has been with the organization for years and wouldn't necessarily be crushed by the weight of Wrigley Field.
Wang.
My second choice is Brenly...I know Ryno is quiet, but that keeps me from getting a sense of what his leadership style might be.

And...I do like Valentine. I know he seems like a know-it-all, but if you listen...he really has a sense of plan, and is a nut for fundamentals.
I loved it when Valentine said that Josh Hamilton would have a real shot at the triple crown if he could get his batting average up. He's batting .357 for christ sake, and its the only triple crown stat he leads in. Valentine is all window dressing. He makes shit up as he goes along.
<!--quoteo(post=107897:date=Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I loved it when Valentine said that Josh Hamilton would have a real shot at the triple crown if he could get his batting average up. He's batting .357 for christ sake. Valentine is all window dressing. He makes shit up as he goes along.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Like how he invented the wrap?
If there was any chance of it happening, I'd want Cox, because I think he's the best manager of this generation, but I can't see him taking the job. No thanks on Torre, I think he'd just be Piniella 2.0. Trammell doesn't do much for me either, and I'm indifferent on Valentine.

Girardi would be my first realistic choice because, as mentioned before, he's had great success, shown he can stick up for himself and he teammates, he doesn't seem to take crap from anyone, and he gets what it's like to be a Cub, so I'll vote him. I'd be fine with Brenly or Sandberg too though.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=107900:date=Jul 26 2010, 08:20 AM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 26 2010, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If there was any chance of it happening, I'd want Cox, because I think he's the best manager of this generation, but I can't see him taking the job. No thanks on Torre, I think he'd just be Piniella 2.0. Trammell doesn't do much for me either, and I'm indifferent on Valentine.

Girardi would be my first realistic choice because, as mentioned before, he's had great success, shown he can stick up for himself and he teammates, he doesn't seem to take crap from anyone, and he gets what it's like to be a Cub, so I'll vote him. I'd be fine with Brenly or Sandberg too though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd love to hire a guy like Cox (not necessarily him but someone in the same mold) to be the head baseball executive above Hendry, or even just promote Hendry and hire a more analytical GM.

I don't have a problem with any of the other managers you listed, except Valentine. They would all be fine choices.
<!--quoteo(post=107897:date=Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I loved it when Valentine said that Josh Hamilton would have a real shot at the triple crown if he could get his batting average up. He's batting .357 for christ sake. Valentine is all window dressing. He makes shit up as he goes along.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Valentine may have an ego, but he's not window-dressing...he's smart.
<!--quoteo(post=107903:date=Jul 26 2010, 09:28 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 26 2010, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107897:date=Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I loved it when Valentine said that Josh Hamilton would have a real shot at the triple crown if he could get his batting average up. He's batting .357 for christ sake. Valentine is all window dressing. He makes shit up as he goes along.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He may be smart but he's also full of shit.
About Valentine, I didn't hear him last night because I was at the game, but I saw a bunch of people were complaining about him in the booth and using it as an argument against him being the manager, and I don't really get it. So he's a shitty announcer, what does that have to do with his ability to manage a team?
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=107903:date=Jul 26 2010, 08:28 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 26 2010, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107897:date=Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I loved it when Valentine said that Josh Hamilton would have a real shot at the triple crown if he could get his batting average up. He's batting .357 for christ sake. Valentine is all window dressing. He makes shit up as he goes along.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you listen to him last night?
Valentine is cocky and is a smartass. He also is very smart and doesn't give a shit who you are or about to much of anything. That is the kind of manager I would love to have. To be honest as long as we end up with Brenly, Girardi, or Valentine I will be happy. People need to drop the hate of Valentine because of his announcing. That should have nothing to do with it.
I remember Valentine when he managed the Mets. He just reminded me too much of Bowa with his temper. I never warmed up to him, and that was years before he ever tried broadcasting, at least that's where I'm coming from. It just feels like he is too similar to Lou, and it would be nice to get someone different this time.