Poll: Who do you want?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bob Brenly
25.71%
9 25.71%
Bobby Cox
5.71%
2 5.71%
Joe Girardi
48.57%
17 48.57%
Ryne Sandberg
17.14%
6 17.14%
Joe Torre
0%
0 0%
Alan Trammell
0%
0 0%
Bobby Valentine
2.86%
1 2.86%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick your manager
These are the seven names that I've really heard speculated. Obviously some (Sandberg, Trammell) may be more realistic than others (Cox, Girardi). Pick your choice and show your work.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I've never been a fan of Torre, he was placed in the best positions to win ever. I'd be surprised if Girardi left. I want someone fresh, not a holdover from the old staff, so even though I like Trammell, I'd pass on him. I'd be ok with Valentine or Brenly, but I think Brenly might have burned bridges with some of the players with his comments. I think Cox is unrealistic despite what Levine guesses.

So.... I'm taking Ryno.

I dont care if he doesn't have managerial experience, to be honest, I'm kinda sick of the sleepy old "experienced" men. He is a Cub, he knows the city, he knows the Cubs culture. Both Dusty and Lou have admitted they were shocked when they got here and found out what it was like. Ryno knows. He seems to be a smart guy and a gerat teacher, who played the game the right way. Most of all he really wants a chance at it. I just couldn't turn him away.
Girardi. No work.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
I don't want Cox and I don't think he'd actually have any interest. I don't want Torre only because I don't want somebody likely to retire in 2 or 3 years (which would also apply to Cox). I don't want Trammell only because I'd rather have Sandberg, and we know Sandberg wants the job. I'd be OK with Brenly, but I've expressed my concerns before, including his inability to get a job despite winning a WS when all but like 6 teams have changed managers since he was fired from Arizona.

So then there's 3. Of everyone, I want Girardi, if he'd leave the Yankees, which I have my doubts (but I do think it is possible). In 3 seasons as a manager, he's won Manager of the Year and a World Series. He showed with Florida that he's not afraid to be independent. I'd put Sandberg and Valentine as 2A and 2B behind him.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Girardi...everyone always thought he could do the job, and he's proved he can. I like great minds, and mental toughness...he qualifies.
Girardi's playing Hank Steinbrenner.

Brenly.
<!--quoteo(post=107789:date=Jul 25 2010, 07:43 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 25 2010, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Girardi. No work.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
i copied off of Ace.
[Image: lou.jpg]
Girardi.

He understands Cubs culture and would know what he'd be getting himself into. I also think former catchers typically understand the game really well.
Girardi or Brenly, even though both are long-shots. Girardi is young but has the experience and the style. Brenly is a great middle age for a manager, and has the experience and knows the team more than anyone, including Lou. But I really expect Hank & Hal to lock Girardi up, and I expect Bob to be the reason we don't get Brenly.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=107788:date=Jul 25 2010, 05:39 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jul 25 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've never been a fan of Torre, he was placed in the best positions to win ever. I'd be surprised if Girardi left. I want someone fresh, not a holdover from the old staff, so even though I like Trammell, I'd pass on him. I'd be ok with Valentine or Brenly, but I think Brenly might have burned bridges with some of the players with his comments. I think Cox is unrealistic despite what Levine guesses.

So.... I'm taking Ryno.

I dont care if he doesn't have managerial experience, to be honest, I'm kinda sick of the sleepy old "experienced" men. He is a Cub, he knows the city, he knows the Cubs culture. Both Dusty and Lou have admitted they were shocked when they got here and found out what it was like. Ryno knows. He seems to be a smart guy and a gerat teacher, who played the game the right way. Most of all he really wants a chance at it. I just couldn't turn him away.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
While Ryno knows the culture because he played here for 15 some odd years, it's way different now than then, right? Expectations have gone through the roof compared to 1982, not to mention the transparency. Ryno's never had to handle the media in a way like he would as a Cubs skipper.
If all those guys are out there I'd want Girardi.

No interest at all in Trammell or Valentine. It would be hard to be upset with Torre or Cox, but I don't think they would fit the best with the direction this team is going. I really would be shocked if Girardi would be willing to leave NY for this mess at this time. And I just don't think Ryne is ready, the minor league experience is great and really shows his dedication but I want him to get some time first hand next to a proven manager before we hand the job over to him. I think the most realistic scenario is bringing in Brenly for 3-4 years with Ryne on the staff. Let Bob oversee the transition as the team sheds the dead weight over the next couple of years, and hopefully after a couple of seasons the team has some more payroll flexibility and a nice core group of players has come through the farm system. Then we can either keep Brenly on if he has worked out well, promote Ryne, or possibly can convince Girardi that after a few more successfull season and probably another title he has won all he can win in NY and he should come back home to Chicago.
<!--quoteo(post=107798:date=Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->...and I expect Bob to be the reason we don't get Brenly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ummm...come again?
<!--quoteo(post=107803:date=Jul 25 2010, 06:34 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 25 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107798:date=Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->...and I expect Bob to be the reason we don't get Brenly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ummm...come again?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
His character in the booth. It's the reason we love him, but I'm afraid he's too vocal for his own good.
<!--quoteo(post=107805:date=Jul 25 2010, 08:37 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 25 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107803:date=Jul 25 2010, 06:34 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 25 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107798:date=Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->...and I expect Bob to be the reason we don't get Brenly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ummm...come again?
His character in the booth. It's the reason we love him, but I'm afraid he's too vocal for his own good.

I'm hoping he has a feel for how it's playing in the front office. Not to protect his prospects for managing...but so he doesn't go the way of Stone.
<!--quoteo(post=107807:date=Jul 25 2010, 06:38 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 25 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107805:date=Jul 25 2010, 08:37 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 25 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107803:date=Jul 25 2010, 06:34 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 25 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107798:date=Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->...and I expect Bob to be the reason we don't get Brenly.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ummm...come again?

I'm hoping he has a feel for how it's playing in the front office. Not to protect his prospects for managing...but so he doesn't go the way of Stone.
I'm hoping too, and trust me there's no other person I want at the helm than Brenly because of his attitude and gusto. I just have a hard time seeing a healthy Soriano/Brenly, player/manager relationship.