Poll: If you *had* to bet your life savings on it -- yes or no.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Cubs will win it all in my lifetime
70.59%
24 70.59%
The Cubs will not win it all in my lifetime
29.41%
10 29.41%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will it happen in your lifetime?
<!--quoteo(post=108670:date=Jul 29 2010, 11:50 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 29 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I met a fairy today who granted me one wish. "I want to live forever " I said.

"Sorry" said the fairy, "I'm not allowed to grant wishes like that!"

"Fine" I said, "I want to live to see the Cubs win the World Series!"

"You crafty bastard," said the fairy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I agree with whoever said if you don't believe, then why do you watch? I can't think of any reason to do that to yourself. Deep down there is a tiny bit of hope, the no votes are just for show. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=108871:date=Jul 30 2010, 10:36 AM:name=Sandberg)-->QUOTE (Sandberg @ Jul 30 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108670:date=Jul 29 2010, 11:50 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 29 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I met a fairy today who granted me one wish. "I want to live forever " I said.

I agree with whoever said if you don't believe, then why do you watch? I can't think of any reason to do that to yourself. Deep down there is a tiny bit of hope, the no votes are just for show. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't believe the Cubs will ever win, but I hope I'm wrong.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=108871:date=Jul 30 2010, 10:36 AM:name=Sandberg)-->QUOTE (Sandberg @ Jul 30 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108670:date=Jul 29 2010, 11:50 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 29 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I met a fairy today who granted me one wish. "I want to live forever " I said.

I watch the game because I love baseball. And yes -- I hold out hope for a World Series win. But that isn't the question. The question is if you had to bet your life savings on them winning it in your lifetime, which way would you bet. Betting that they won't is the safer bet, IMO. That isn't just for show.
Believing something will happen and hoping it does are two completely different things, but that doesn't mean a person can't care. The last time I allowed myself to believe without a doubt that we would win it all was in the 8th inning of game 6 in 2003. I don't believe there is a heaven either, but I hope I am wrong on that as well.
<!--quoteo(post=108877:date=Jul 30 2010, 10:57 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 30 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Believing something will happen and hoping it does are two completely different things, but that doesn't mean a person can't care. The last time I allowed myself to believe without a doubt that we would win it all was in the 8th inning of game 6 in 2003. I don't believe there is a heaven either, but I hope I am wrong on that as well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I guess that's true. You, sir, are the winner.
<!--quoteo(post=108905:date=Jul 30 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Sandberg)-->QUOTE (Sandberg @ Jul 30 2010, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108877:date=Jul 30 2010, 10:57 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 30 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Believing something will happen and hoping it does are two completely different things, but that doesn't mean a person can't care. The last time I allowed myself to believe without a doubt that we would win it all was in the 8th inning of game 6 in 2003. I don't believe there is a heaven either, but I hope I am wrong on that as well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I guess that's true. You, sir, are the winner.

But I said the same thing before he did, only in less words. What the fuck?
Wang.
I try not to think about it...

But this team should have a top 5-10 payroll for the rest of our lifetimes, unless there's a salary cap put in. Any other team should win 3+ World Series with that over the rest of our lifetimes, but obviously I'll refuse to believe it until I see with the Cubs. They're gonna get close a lot more and at least be in the NLCS a few times.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=108960:date=Jul 30 2010, 07:39 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 30 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I try not to think about it...

But this team should have a top 5-10 payroll for the rest of our lifetimes, unless there's a salary cap put in. Any other team should win 3+ World Series with that over the rest of our lifetimes, but obviously I'll refuse to believe it until I see with the Cubs. They're gonna get close a lot more and at least be in the NLCS a few times.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And that will simply multiply the pain each time we come close and fail.
Bunch of girls.
My lifetime? Why not this year?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v