Poll: If you *had* to bet your life savings on it -- yes or no.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Cubs will win it all in my lifetime
70.59%
24 70.59%
The Cubs will not win it all in my lifetime
29.41%
10 29.41%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will it happen in your lifetime?
<!--quoteo(post=108285:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:09 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Twice as many people who have voted think it will happen in their lifetime than not. I'd say there are a lot of optimistic people here.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, what a rah-rah party.
Wang.
Butch I think you need antidepressants.
I don't get why someone would go though any of this if they didn't think it could happen. Why have an opinion, why care, why criticize, why follow the moves and the games...if it's all impossible?

It's possible. It's going to get done.
<!--quoteo(post=108291:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:59 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't get why someone would go though any of this if they didn't think it could happen. Why have an opinion, why care, why criticize, why follow the moves and the games...if it's all impossible?

It's possible. It's going to get done.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I tend to agree with that, and I voted that it will happen. But there's a huge difference between "I don't think it will happen" and "I am absolutely certain that it will never happen."
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=108291:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:59 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't get why someone would go though any of this if they didn't think it could happen. Why have an opinion, why care, why criticize, why follow the moves and the games...if it's all impossible?

Agreed. Seems pointless doesn't it? Why follow something if it makes you so miserable?
<!--quoteo(post=108291:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:59 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't get why someone would go though any of this if they didn't think it could happen. Why have an opinion, why care, why criticize, why follow the moves and the games...if it's all impossible?

If I think there is a 1% chance of it happening, yet I still don't believe it will in my lifetime, does that make me nuts? Believing it "could" happen and "will" happen are two completely different things. And why put myself through it? Because I've been conditioned to love this team even though the payoff has been nearly zero. They are an addiction like no other. I don't see how reason has to apply here.
I get the pessimism...especially at this point in a season like this...the sense of futility...the frustration...the deja vu. I don't blame anyone for putting armor around their poor, trampled hearts.

<!--quoteo(post=108218:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:15 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I used to think that it would eventually happen. The Cubs would eventually find the right combination of talent and luck and win the World Series before I die. Now I'm not so sure. In fact, if I had to bet my life savings on it, I think I'd bet that I'll never see the Cubs win it all. I'd probably take it a step further and say I'll never see an NL Pennant.

I'm curious what the rest of the community thinks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quick question, If I bet my life savings that the Cubs will never win the World Series in my lifetime how do I collect on that bet or am I just making the bet on behalf of my surviving relatives?
I've always said that you have to be some kind of masochist to be a Cubs fan. Why else would anyone put themselves through all of the pain and suffering each year and then come back for more. I'm getting really close to buying a ball gag with a Cubs logo on it and hanging it from my rear view mirror.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
I became a Cub fan when I was 9. I had no idea what I was getting into. I had no clue. I used to believe in next year. I used to believe in happy endings. I used to think that it couldn't go on forever.

Now I'm 40 and I've seen it all. And I know in my heart that the Cubs will never win a World Series. I know this like i know the sun will rise in the East.

But what's the alternative? I made this bed.

The Cubs are like the serial killer son. Yeah, you hate what he's done. You hate that people know that you're his father. But you still love him. You love him because he's yours. You watched him grow, you remember a time when he made you happy. And despite the fact that you know he'll never be rehabilitated, that he's a monster, that he's caused you and countless others so much sorrow and grieve and misery, you still care about him. You still love him, because what's the alternative? What choice do you have? You made your bed.

That's why I still love the Cubs, even though I know it's all in vain. What choice do I have? I made my bed.
Wang.
I'm getting close to not caring about baseball at all again. I didn't watch much from 1989 until 1998. I haven't watched many games this year since April. If not for this board, I probably wouldn't follow the Cubs much more than an occasional glance at the scant baseball coverage in the newspapers I read.

Life circumstances change. Witness the number of people here who have been wildly active and then have either disappeared or post rarely. The Cubs just aren't that important to me right now.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
I equate it to falling in love, like that giddy rules your world every time she enters the room your heart skips a beat love, knowing all along she is going dump you and leave you helpless and heartbroken...and doing it again and again and again.

Being a cub fan is literally the definition of insanity. It's not healthy. It is the reason padded rooms and mental clinics exist. Yet, we love them with everything we have. Year after year after year.

My family moved from Mississippi to Fort Wayne, IN when I was young, FW was a huge (and still is) Cubs town. And even when I went and spent my summers in Mississippi with my grandmother...she still had cable, and had WGN. I had the cubs presented to me at a very young age, and completely not knowing what I was getting myself into, I embraced them. Youth is ignorance.

And here I sit, still waiting for the opportunity to celebrate. And as bad as this year has been, dammit I will come back for more next year.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=108229:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:07 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 27 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think they'll win it in my lifetime, but maybe not Sipes' or Lance's.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have cut way back on my drinking, and I am trying to exercise every day.
I like you guys a lot.
<!--quoteo(post=108365:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Jul 28 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've always said that you have to be some kind of masochist to be a Cubs fan. Why else would anyone put themselves through all of the pain and suffering each year and then come back for more. I'm getting really close to buying a ball gag with a Cubs logo on it and <b>hanging it from my rear view mirror.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is that what you call it?
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

I met a fairy today who granted me one wish. "I want to live forever " I said.

"Sorry" said the fairy, "I'm not allowed to grant wishes like that!"

"Fine" I said, "I want to live to see the Cubs win the World Series!"

"You crafty bastard," said the fairy.
I got nothin'.

Andy