Poll: If you *had* to bet your life savings on it -- yes or no.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Cubs will win it all in my lifetime
70.59%
24 70.59%
The Cubs will not win it all in my lifetime
29.41%
10 29.41%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will it happen in your lifetime?
<!--quoteo(post=108235:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:11 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 27 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108233:date=Jul 27 2010, 02:10 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 27 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nope. Never.

I am a sick individual though, because in spite of that belief, I am a lifer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
To be fair, that's not REALLY why you're a sick individual.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
True, but it is ONE of the reasons why I need help.
<!--quoteo(post=108230:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:07 PM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jul 27 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108226:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:52 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108225:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:50 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jul 27 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108223:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:35 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108222:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:31 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108220:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:19 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108219:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:16 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We'll win it all within a decade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
In 2003, I wasn't thinking we might win a World Series in the 00s -- I was trying to decide how many we'd win.

Boy, was I stupid.

What makes you think this, by the way? Just a gut feeling?

I think this because there's no reason we shouldn't. We have new owners with deep pockets. A large payroll that realistically will trend upward with the rest of the league. We have greatly improved scouting and farm systems and we have a devoted fan base. If the front office is configured properly and puts together a good roster there's no reason that from where we stand right now, we should be unable to win it within a decade.

The counterargument is based upon curses, "Cubbie occurrences" and all the rest of that bullshit I pay no attention to.
The crushing weight of history is a real thing. Alex Gonzalez felt it when a routine DP ball rolled in his direction.

Well then, the Cubs will never win it since the crushing weight of history just keeps getting heavier with each failed year. If it was too much 7 years ago what hope is there now. This franchise might as well cease to exist. Put it and us out of our collective misery because the history is just too fucking daunting.
That sums up how I'm feeling pretty well, actually.

It's a fait accompli. What's the point. I guess you can move to England where baseball will not be there to remind you of the wasted emotions and years of heartache that crushed your spirit. Why be mocked every year when some other team wins it all, especially the god damned white sox. Every spring will open the wound, every fall will pour in the salt. Life... meaningless... wasted... futile.
Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me?
<!--quoteo(post=108238:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:14 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108230:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:07 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jul 27 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108226:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:52 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108225:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:50 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jul 27 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108223:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:35 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108222:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:31 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108220:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:19 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108219:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:16 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We'll win it all within a decade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
In 2003, I wasn't thinking we might win a World Series in the 00s -- I was trying to decide how many we'd win.

Boy, was I stupid.

What makes you think this, by the way? Just a gut feeling?

I think this because there's no reason we shouldn't. We have new owners with deep pockets. A large payroll that realistically will trend upward with the rest of the league. We have greatly improved scouting and farm systems and we have a devoted fan base. If the front office is configured properly and puts together a good roster there's no reason that from where we stand right now, we should be unable to win it within a decade.

The counterargument is based upon curses, "Cubbie occurrences" and all the rest of that bullshit I pay no attention to.
The crushing weight of history is a real thing. Alex Gonzalez felt it when a routine DP ball rolled in his direction.

Well then, the Cubs will never win it since the crushing weight of history just keeps getting heavier with each failed year. If it was too much 7 years ago what hope is there now. This franchise might as well cease to exist. Put it and us out of our collective misery because the history is just too fucking daunting.
That sums up how I'm feeling pretty well, actually.

It's a fait accompli. What's the point. I guess you can move to England where baseball will not be there to remind you of the wasted emotions and years of heartache that crushed your spirit. Why be mocked every year when some other team wins it all, especially the god damned white sox. Every spring will open the wound, every fall will pour in the salt. Life... meaningless... wasted... futile.
Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me?

Just trying to help you. Help all of us in fact
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
Which way did you vote?
<!--quoteo(post=108245:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:24 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Which way did you vote?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't. What's the use.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
What a bunch of lame asses. Next year we'll look back at this thread and laugh during the parade.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=108229:date=Jul 27 2010, 02:07 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 27 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think they'll win it in my lifetime, but maybe not Sipes' or Lance's.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do not believe Sipes is an old fuck like myself.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
By the shore's of old Lake Michigan
Where the "hawk wind" blows so cold
An old Cub fan lay dying
In his midnight hour that tolled
'Round his bed, his friends had all gathered
They knew his time was short
And on his head the put this bright blue cap
From his all-time favorite sport
He told them "its late and its getting dark in here"
And I know its time to go
But before I leave the line-up
There's just one thing I'd like to know
(Chorus, sung)
Do they still play the blues in Chicago
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away,
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy covered burial ground
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the national league
(talking blues)
Told his friends "You know the law of averages says:
Anything will happen that can."
That's what it says.
"But the year the Cubs last won a national league pennant
Was the year we dropped the bomb on Japan"
The Cubs made me a criminal
Sent me down a wayward path
They stole my youth from me
(that's the truth)
I'd forsake my teacher's
To go sit in the bleachers
In flagrant truancy
and then one thing led to another
soon I'd discovered alcohol, gambling, dope
football, hockey, lacross, tennis
But what do you expect,
When you raise up a young boys hope
And then just crush 'em like so many paper beer cups.
Year after year after year
after year, after year, after year, after year, after year
'Til those hopes are just so much popcorn
for pigeons beneath the "EL" track to eat
He said "You know I'll never see Wrigley Field, anymore
before my eternal rest
So if you have your pencils and your score cards ready,
and I'll read you my last request
Give me a double header funeral in Wrigley Field
On some sunny weekend day (no lights)
Have the organ play the National Anthem
and then a little "na, na, na, hey hey, hey, Goodbye"
Make six bull pen pitchers, carry my coffin
and six ground keepers clear my path
Have the umpires bark me out at every base
In all their holy wrath
Its a beautiful day for a funeral, Hey Ernie lets play two!
Somebody go get Jack Brickhouse to come back,
and conduct just one more interview
Have the Cubbies run right out into the middle of the field,
Have Kieth Moreland drop a routine fly
Give everybody two bags of peanuts and a frosty malt
And I'll be ready to die
Build a big fire on home plate out of your 'Louisville Sluggers' baseball bats,
And toss my coffin in
Let my ashes blow in the beautiful snow
From the prevailing 30 mile an hour south west wind
When my last remaind go flying over the left field wall
Will bid the bleacher bums adieu
I will come to my final resting place, out on Waveland Avenue
The dying man's friends told him to cut it out
They said stop it that's an awful shame
He whispered, "Don't Cry, we'll meet by and by near the Heavenly Hall of Fame
He said I've got season's tickets to watch the Angels now,
So its just what I'm going to do
He said but you the living, you're stuck here with the Cubs,
So its me that feels sorry for you!
And he said "Ahh Play, play that lonesome losers tune,
The one I like the best
And he closed his eyes, and slipped away
What we got is the Dying Cub fan's last request
(Chorus, big finish, sung)
Do they still play the blues in Chicago
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away,
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy covered burial ground
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the national league
I have never heard that before, but that is awesome jstraw. And oh so true.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xBxZGQ1dJk&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xBxZGQ1dJk&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It's even better to listen to Willis. Enjoy.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
Awesome, where have I been? Thanks Jody.
Dylan McKay is my hero
I voted no.

2003 made me think we would. 2007/2008 made me know we wouldn't.
Wang.
Lol what a pity party thread.
<!--quoteo(post=108281:date=Jul 27 2010, 04:41 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 27 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lol what a pity party thread.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bingage...
Twice as many people who have voted think it will happen in their lifetime than not. I'd say there are a lot of optimistic people here.