Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theriot/Lilly for DeWitt and 2 Prospects
<!--quoteo(post=109100:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:15 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 31 2010, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ent_id=12851156
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->General manager Ned Colletti, however, indicated that <b>improved defense </b>and running speed that comes with Theriot was part of the equation, saying he could have acquired Lilly without dealing DeWitt.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Boy, is Colletti ever in for a shock.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=109107:date=Jul 31 2010, 05:51 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 31 2010, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Would you guys mind if the first Cubs pitcher to face Theriot just drills him?

Oh perfect...we don't play them again this year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why put him on base?

Just have Baker start at third and punch him in the nuts when he's on deck
<!--quoteo(post=109109:date=Jul 31 2010, 05:56 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jul 31 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Why put him on base?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is this a serious question?
I sure wouldn't mind getting rid of Fontenot by the end of the day too. We couldn't do some sort of buy one get one free deal with the LSU mafia?
<!--quoteo(post=109113:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I sure wouldn't mind getting rid of Fontenot by the end of the day too. We couldn't do some sort of buy one get one free deal with the LSU mafia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The trading deadline was 3 hours ago.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=109113:date=Jul 31 2010, 05:59 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 31 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I sure wouldn't mind getting rid of Fontenot by the end of the day too. We couldn't do some sort of buy one get one free deal with the LSU mafia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I posted this in the other thread, but maybe we can do a waiver deal or 2.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->According to major league sources, Hendry and the Cubs were close to trading Mike Fontenot and Xavier Nady at the deadline, but that deal was never consummated.

“We had dialogues with quite a few clubs the last few days,” Hendry said. “There were all different kinds of deals. But I can’t say for certain how close things might have been today. Sometimes the deals that we were close an hour or two before the deadline are done in August.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=109113:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I sure wouldn't mind getting rid of Fontenot by the end of the day too. We couldn't do some sort of buy one get one free deal with the LSU mafia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't see how Dewit is any better than Fontenot. At least Fontenot hits for power.
DeWitt reports tomorrow. Thomas Diamond being called up from Iowa.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=109114:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:01 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 31 2010, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109113:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I sure wouldn't mind getting rid of Fontenot by the end of the day too. We couldn't do some sort of buy one get one free deal with the LSU mafia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The trading deadline was 3 hours ago.
Doh.

Dewitt is better defensively than Fontenot.
I guess we'll see how these prospects pan out, but from what I've read, it's kind of a big "meh." After Oswalt and Lee were dealt, Lilly was the best starter on the market and has had a very solid season. I thought we could have done a little better, but maybe there wasn't much action out there.
<!--quoteo(post=109120:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:32 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 31 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess we'll see how these prospects pan out, but from what I've read, it's kind of a big "meh." After Oswalt and Lee were dealt, Lilly was the best starter on the market and has had a very solid season. I thought we could have done a little better, but maybe there wasn't much action out there.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Lilly is also a two month rental. Not sure we could have gotten all that much more for him.
<!--quoteo(post=109116:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:02 PM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Jul 31 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109113:date=Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 31 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I sure wouldn't mind getting rid of Fontenot by the end of the day too. We couldn't do some sort of buy one get one free deal with the LSU mafia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't see how Dewit is any better than Fontenot. At least Fontenot hits for power.
He can actually play more than one position adequately.
Given how he's pitched in Iowa, and the fact that we're paying him $3.5 million this year, I don't know why they don't call up Samardzija to start instead of Diamond. What do we have to lose?
<!--quoteo(post=109131:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:44 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 31 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Given how he's pitched in Iowa, and the fact that we're paying him $3.5 million this year, I don't know why they don't call up Samardzija to start instead of Diamond. What do we have to lose?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's mind-boggling, unless he's just really, really pissed the organization off for some reason. It's clear he has no trade value right now, and he's not going to rehabilitate the value in AAA... so, you said it perfectly: what do they have to lose by starting Samardzija?

I'm fine with Diamond getting a chance (or Jackson), but, it's weird.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Samardzija's having a rough night in Oklahoma City, so that will hurt his AAA numbers, but I wonder if Lou has indicated to Hendry that he doesn't want to see Samardzija again, so they're just going to hold him out until next year. But still, $3.5 million this year, $10 million the next 2 years. Try to get something for that.