Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theriot/Lilly for DeWitt and 2 Prospects
<!--quoteo(post=109079:date=Jul 31 2010, 03:20 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No more Theriot! I don't see any bad news in this trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love the deal. DeWitt can play 2B, but is better at 3B. It gives the Cubs the opportunity to have an actual backup at 3B if Ramirez gets hurt again. It also allows them the possibility to try to deal ARam or possibly move him to 1B (if that's a possibility). Theriot is a douchnozzle and a piss poor baseball player. The fact that there's a bunch of know-nothing Cubs fans stuck with Theriot jerseys makes me happy. The pitching prospects are just that, we'll see if they pan out. However, I think it's a pretty decent haul for 2 months of Lilly and a dump of a shitty MI that wasn't gonna be offered arbitration anyway.
And who cares about Dewitt? He's 24 and the Cubs are going to see if there's anything there for the rest of the season(which is far lost anyway). It's not like they intend on him being the solution at 2nd base for the next decade. He'll either be a bench bat next year or not on the team. Wallach at least sounds like a very solid prospect, and the other dude has some pretty good stats.

Getting -anything- for Lilly was a must.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=109080:date=Jul 31 2010, 02:23 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 31 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109079:date=Jul 31 2010, 03:20 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No more Theriot! I don't see any bad news in this trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love the deal. DeWitt can play 2B, but is better at 3B. It gives the Cubs the opportunity to have an actual backup at 3B if Ramirez gets hurt again. It also allows them the possibility to try to deal ARam or possibly move him to 1B (if that's a possibility). Theriot is a douchnozzle and a piss poor baseball player. The fact that there's a bunch of know-nothing Cubs fans stuck with Theriot jerseys makes me happy. The pitching prospects are just that, we'll see if they pan out. However, I think it's a pretty decent haul for 2 months of Lilly and a dump of a shitty MI that wasn't gonna be offered arbitration anyway.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed.
@TheBlogfines
Wittenmyer on Twitter:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Lilly open to returning after season as free agent. Hendry: I wouldn't close the door to that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=109083:date=Jul 31 2010, 02:33 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 31 2010, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wittenmyer on Twitter:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Lilly open to returning after season as free agent. Hendry: I wouldn't close the door to that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link
Yep... and Lilly's made that known. I don't know why people could seriously be mad about dealing him. The season's over and he's a free agent. It's not like he can't still comeback. He understands the Cubs' position, and they're doing him a favor at the same time by giving him a chance at a ring this year. They were able to package him with the dumbest player on the team, and get 3 players in return. It's a motherfucking win.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=109085:date=Jul 31 2010, 03:37 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109083:date=Jul 31 2010, 02:33 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 31 2010, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wittenmyer on Twitter:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Lilly open to returning after season as free agent. Hendry: I wouldn't close the door to that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link
Yep... and Lilly's made that known. I don't know why people could seriously be mad about dealing him. The season's over and he's a free agent. It's not like he can't still comeback. He understands the Cubs' position, and they're doing him a favor at the same time by giving him a chance at a ring this year. They were able to package him with the dumbest player on the team, and get 3 players in return. It's a motherfucking win.

Because usually they don't come back.
Wang.
So... in the end if Lilly signs here next year, we will have traded Theriot, two months of Lilly, $2.5 million and a second round draft pick for Blake DeWitt, one guy who will be near the bottom of our top 20 prospects, and one guy that had one good year with mediocre peripherals? Color me unimpressed.

Gad's gotta be pretty excited. That's not even mentioning the sandwich pick they'd receive too.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Hendry on sending $2.5 mil w/ Ted, Riot.: "We felt like it wasn't going to be a detriment. We put a value on the players we got back."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=109088:date=Jul 31 2010, 03:57 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jul 31 2010, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So... in the end if Lilly signs here next year, we will have traded Theriot, two months of Lilly, $2.5 million and a second round draft pick for Blake DeWitt, one guy who will be near the bottom of our top 20 prospects, and one guy that had one good year with mediocre peripherals? Color me unimpressed.

Gad's gotta be pretty excited. That's not even mentioning the sandwich pick they'd receive too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"Wallach is the son of Tim Wallach, a 1979 first-round draft pick who was a longtime major leaguer with the Expos and Dodgers. Brett possesses a nearly ideal frame for a pitcher; at 6-foot-3 he's lanky and projectable. Right now his fastball ranges from 88-89 mph, and his body promises more velocity in the future. His secondary pitches are excellent. Wallach features a slurve, which when thrown well has quick and late break. His changeup is his best pitch, showing sudden late drop while thrown with the same arm speed as his fastball. He has a smooth delivery, and his fluid arm action permits the ball to leave his hand easily. Wallach presents scouts with a complete package. He combines a big league lineage, projectable frame, smooth delivery, and an excellent feel for three pitches."

This combined with the other two isn't all that bad.
From Miles:
http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/4456
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->MORE UPDATES; LILLY'S PARTING WORDS: We had a chance to talk with Ted outside the clubhouse a minute ago. Here's what he had to say: "Short of winning a World Series here, I couldn't have asked for a better experience in my career. I couldn't ask for a better place to play, teammates to play with, fans to play for, all the way from the coaching staff to the front office. I can't enough. The media, from my experience, was great."

GM JIM HENDRY'S INITIAL STATEMENT: “We felt once we moved Castro up to play short and the way it started to unfold as we drew out of the race, we felt that moving forward, acquiring somebody like DeWitt who we’ve always liked gives us something to get started on for next year. So that we felt was a good trade. Our scouts really liked both players. Wallach, the kid comes from tremendous stock. His father (Tim Wallach) was a tremendous character and a quality big-league player for a long time. Our following of Smit the last few years has shown a tremendous improvement. He put himself on a lot higher category on our prospect list with the Dodgers, even from where he was a year ago. We’re pleased with it. It’s a good baseball trade for both clubs. It will give the Dodgers some immediate help to try to catch their respective division leaders and wild-card leaders.”

HENDRY ON DeWITT: “We think he’s a real solid player. We certainly liked him for years way back when he first entered professional baseball. He’s tough kid. He’s 24 years old. His better days are way ahead of him. We have a good relationship with a lot of the coaches with the Dodgers. So I’ve known a lot about him through our relationship there, too. He’s got a chance to be a complete player. He going to get better. Greg Maddux spoke highly of him when Greg pitched for the Dodgers. He’s a guy we’ve always had an eye on and have asked about him in the past. We’re anxious to get him here and see him play at that position and see how it goes leading us into the off-season.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ent_id=12851156
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"Hopefully, they make us better," said Torre. "I talked to Theriot and he is excited about coming over. He's a scrappy little player, a basestealer with more speed [than DeWitt] in that regard. I haven't talked to Ted Lilly, but he played for me in New York and he gives us a little more stability in the rotation. I know he's competitive. I hope he stays healthy and helps us get to the postseason."

Torre emphasized that the Dodgers weren't looking to move DeWitt.

"He was the price tag," said Torre.

General manager Ned Colletti, however, indicated that improved defense and running speed that comes with Theriot was part of the equation, saying he could have acquired Lilly without dealing DeWitt.

"We have interest in Theriot," Colletti said. "He's a middle infielder. Blake DeWitt is more of a natural third baseman than second base. They are the same type of player in their passion for the game, Theriot is a little older, but he's more situated for the middle of the infield. We could have had Lilly without trading DeWitt, but there were more dynamics than meets the eye."

DeWitt said his goodbyes in the clubhouse before Saturday's game.

"It's sad, in a way," he said. "It's definitely a tough situation for me. I've worked hard with these guys going far back. It definitely came as a complete shock but it's part of the game. I look forward to the opportunity there. Chicago is probably my favorite place to go on the road and it's definitely close to my family [in Missouri]."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Has any player been dealt from the Cubs at the deadline with an expiring contract who the cubs didn't say they welcome returning?

It's akin to the "let's stay in touch" comment after post-break up sex with an ex-girlfriend.
<!--quoteo(post=109101:date=Jul 31 2010, 05:16 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jul 31 2010, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has any player been dealt from the Cubs at the deadline with an expiring contract who the cubs didn't say they welcome returning?

It's akin to the "let's stay in touch" comment after post-break up sex with an ex-girlfriend.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That what I was thi.nking
Wang.
"as we drew out of the race"

Fucking priceless.
Would you guys mind if the first Cubs pitcher to face Theriot just drills him?

Oh perfect...we don't play them again this year.