Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
"Us" is getting really good buzz at SXSW. Won't post any reviews, because I don't want to share spoilers, but it sounds like the trailers are a bit misleading, which makes me happy.
No spoilers in the following. Article centers on participants reaction to Us showing at SXSW and general background for film. Generated good deal of buzz. My expectations are high. Article mentions that’s there’s more humor in Us than Get Out

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/09/movie...miere.html
The latest from the director of Hereditary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vnghdsjmd0
I loved Us
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Watched "Possessor" last night. Probably the best sci-fi/horror movie I've seen all year, which admittedly isn't a high bar, but still really really good. Not posting any spoilers, but this one deserves repeat viewing. Brandon Cronenberg has a bright future ahead of him if he doesn't fuck it up.

https://youtu.be/2kV3IJcFRX8
Couldn't agree more. I watched this recently and loved it. Cronenberg definitely inherited his dad's talent...

I just watched "Anything for Jackson" last night and it was bonkers. Great blend of really dark comedy and pretty disturbing horror elements. What's weird is the director's resume before making this one is a bunch of Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. It's like he completely snapped and decided to make the most batshit movie possible.

Just added it to my Shudder queue. Also, Ponysitters Club looks disturbing as hell.
lol
Quote: lol

Quote:I just watched "Anything for Jackson" last night and it was bonkers. Great blend of really dark comedy and pretty disturbing horror elements. What's weird is the director's resume before making this one is a bunch of Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. It's like he completely snapped and decided to make the most batshit movie possible.
Just wanted to add I watched this, and while I am not sure I'd recommend it to a wide audience, it went in a direction I did not expect, which was refreshing. And it was bonkers. 
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I watched the new Candyman tonight. It was really well produced and acted and several of the horror scenes were expertly shot. There were also a lot of interesting shots of the city with odd/extreme angles, adding to the unsettling tone. The soundtrack was good, too. Overall I enjoyed it a lot, but it also felt like all of the pieces didn't fully come together and a couple of things were never explained. That said, if you're a horror fan and like Jordan Peele's stuff (he co-wrote and produced it), you'll like this.

I watched Malignant this weekend and I completely understand why it's so divisive. I'm not sure how I feel about it. At times it was fun and funny...at other times...I'm not sure. The tone shifted wildly. But I think that was deliberate. But overall it didn't really hang together for me all that well. But I could see why a lot of people might enjoy it. It's weird and gory and not at all boring. Just...I feel like there was a good movie in there somewhere but they didn't completely nail it.

Quote:I watched Malignant this weekend and I completely understand why it's so divisive. I'm not sure how I feel about it. At times it was fun and funny...at other times...I'm not sure. The tone shifted wildly. But I think that was deliberate. But overall it didn't really hang together for me all that well. But I could see why a lot of people might enjoy it. It's weird and gory and not at all boring. Just...I feel like there was a good movie in there somewhere but they didn't completely nail it.
My wife made me turn it off after a half hour lol
lol

That reaction isn't surprising, honestly.

That makes me want to see it even more now.

As an aside, I'm struggling to put together a horror watch list for this Halloween season. The genre is in a really strange place during/post-pandemic, and maybe I'm officially too old for "modern" horror.