Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="202140" data-time="1361236432">
I kinda liked what I saw from Chapman last season, albeit briefly, as well. He's still in the system correct?
I think so.  

Really looking forward to seeing what Tony Zych can do.  Seems like he's gonna make a solid back end of the bullpen type.
</blockquote>

Yeah he has a high 90s fastball... gonna be a matter of secondary pitches and command. If those things come together, he could be a potential setup man or closer. He closed in college at Louisville.
@TheBlogfines
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="202147" data-time="1361244913">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="202140" data-time="1361236432">
I kinda liked what I saw from Chapman last season, albeit briefly, as well. He's still in the system correct?
I think so.  

Really looking forward to seeing what Tony Zych can do.  Seems like he's gonna make a solid back end of the bullpen type.

</blockquote>

Yeah he has a high 90s fastball... gonna be a matter of secondary pitches and command. If those things come together, he could be a potential setup man or closer. He closed in college at Louisville.
</blockquote>
yes he did. And while he was pretty good playing here, I would have never thought he'd have a chance at pitching in MLB. His command must have really improved.
I was listening to Ace's podcast a few weeks ago and they were saying Zych came out of nowhere...don't really think that was the case.  I remember when he was drafted he was one of those guys given pretty big overslot money to sign.  Remember him being one of those tough signings.  A lot of people liked him as back end of the bullpen type.  I've been loosely following him waiting to see if he could put it together.

Kinda leaning toward Appel again

Mark Appel of Stanford continues to dominate. He pitched 7 innings and allowed just 4 hits and one earned run, yet lost the game. The domination part? Appel walked one batter and struck out a career high 15. Right now I have to think he has clearly set himself as the #1 player in the draft. He is 2-2 with a 1.20 ERA and has walked 6 while striking out 43 in 30 innings.

Quote:Kinda leaning toward Appel again

Mark Appel of Stanford continues to dominate. He pitched 7 innings and allowed just 4 hits and one earned run, yet lost the game. The domination part? Appel walked one batter and struck out a career high 15. Right now I have to think he has clearly set himself as the #1 player in the draft. He is 2-2 with a 1.20 ERA and has walked 6 while striking out 43 in 30 innings.

How much do you think it will take to sign the kid?  Thought he was represented by Boras and that the Pirates selected him in top 10 picks last year but couldn't get to terms with him. 

BTW, have I mentioned how much I hate the new CBA lately?
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="202538" data-time="1362863043">
Kinda leaning toward Appel again

How much do you think it will take to sign the kid?  Thought he was represented by Boras and that the Pirates selected him in top 10 picks last year but couldn't get to terms with him. 

BTW, have I mentioned how much I hate the new CBA lately?
</blockquote>

It sort of doesn't matter. Boras doesn't have a ton of leverage. He can basically get 2nd player slot money or...nothing. He can hold out again, but his only hope would be someone wanting to basically give up future draft picks to sign him. Since he is a Senor at Stanford now, that would be a HUGE gamble. And since he is not a Strasburg/Bryce Harper type prospect (if the Cubs draft him by definition he isn't even the best player in the draft), teams will not use him as the test case for blowing up future drafts and going over slot to get him.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Quote:if the Cubs draft him by definition he isn't even the best player in the draft

Although this may be true with respect to Appel, I disagree with the presumption that the #2 pick "by definition" isn't the best player in the draft. First, there may not be a consensus best player in a given draft.  One team's #1 is another's #2.  For example, I would assume there was a split in 2001 when Mauer was #1 and Prior was #2.  Also, signability is a factor. I agree that given that he's a college senior, signability may not be a huge factor with respect to Appel this year, but in at least some years, it has to be a factor that might cause the team with the first pick to not take who they believe to be the best player in the draft.

All that being said, I like the idea of Appel because it's reasonable to assume he could be major league ready in a hurry.  Certainly, you'd have to think he'd have a good chance of being able to be in the majors by 2015.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Yeah actually being taken #1 with the new CBA doesn't necessarily mean you took the best player in the draft.  The Astros could go with a guaranteed signing to save money for later rounds.  That's pretty much what they did with Correa last year.

Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BT" data-cid="202541" data-time="1362881875">
if the Cubs draft him by definition he isn't even the best player in the draft

Although this may be true with respect to Appel, I disagree with the presumption that the #2 pick "by definition" isn't the best player in the draft. First, there may not be a consensus best player in a given draft.  One team's #1 is another's #2.  For example, I would assume there was a split in 2001 when Mauer was #1 and Prior was #2.  Also, signability is a factor. I agree that given that he's a college senior, signability may not be a huge factor with respect to Appel this year, but in at least some years, it has to be a factor that might cause the team with the first pick to not take who they believe to be the best player in the draft.

All that being said, I like the idea of Appel because it's reasonable to assume he could be major league ready in a hurry.  Certainly, you'd have to think he'd have a good chance of being able to be in the majors by 2015.
</blockquote>

All of that has been "solved" by the new rules. There are 2 issues you bring up. Signability is the key one, but that is negated by giving every team strict rules on what they can do to sign a player. Second is team preference as to who is the best player in the draft. If Appel is taken second NOW, it's because he's considered the second best player in the draft, simply because the negotiations have been taken out of the equation. It's possible teams will take lesser players in the first round after talking to them so they can assure themselves of saving some first round money for later, but drafts are basically going to go by virtue of how a team values a player from here on out.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Put me down for Appel as well. I was hoping we'd pick him last year too.
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kid" data-cid="202542" data-time="1362893250">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BT" data-cid="202541" data-time="1362881875">
if the Cubs draft him by definition he isn't even the best player in the draft

</blockquote>

All of that has been "solved" by the new rules. There are 2 issues you bring up. Signability is the key one, but that is negated by giving every team strict rules on what they can do to sign a player. Second is team preference as to who is the best player in the draft. If Appel is taken second NOW, it's because he's considered the second best player in the draft, simply because the negotiations have been taken out of the equation. It's possible teams will take lesser players in the first round after talking to them so they can assure themselves of saving some first round money for later, but drafts are basically going to go by virtue of how a team values a player from here on out.
</blockquote>
Plus if he doesn't sign the team essentially gets a do-over pick the next season right? The team really has all the leverage, especially with a college senior.
Almora tweeted he broke a bone in his wrist.  Ha...so fucking typical.

Fanfuckingtastic.
Quote:Almora tweeted he broke a bone in his wrist.  Ha...so fucking typical.

Look at the bright side, he could have died. I'll take a broken wrist over death. Just saying.
Out 3-4 weeks.