Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGN No More?
The Score is reporting that the Cubs are negotiating with WFLD 32/FOX to bring the 70 or so games previously on WGN over there post 2014. Could this be a bridge deal that gets them to a FOX joint venture Cubs cable channel in 2019? I think so. The old FSNC is still out there in cable purgatory with no local programming on it ever since CSN came to be, so it's a definite possibility.
This seems questionable unless Fox is paying a substantial advance on a deal that wouldn't take effect before the 2020 season.  Otherwise, how could WFLD match what WGN can pay given that WGN can broadcast them nationwide while WFLD could only broadcast in Chicago (plus MLB.TV).

Also, I don't live in Chicago, but it was my understanding that FSN Chicago has been completely gone since 2005 or so.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Also, Fox is much more of a real network than the CW has ever been.  I'm very skeptical that WFLD would preempt all Fox programming to show the night games that have been on WGN.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Yeah, I'm not sure how this would actually work, especially with their own Saturday MLB games and prime time programming (maybe share games on WCIU?). I can't find anything about this online so I wonder who leaked the story, or if this was done to get WGN to up their offer.

And it is my understanding that FSNC is still a legal entity but isn't carried by any cable or satellite operator. It probably wouldn't take much to revive it though.
Even if FSN Chicago has never been dissolved as a legal entity, it hasn't broadcast in more than 7.5 years.  Becoming a legal entity is easy, actually putting together a network is hard.  That being said, CSN has exclusive cable rights through the 2019 season, so there'd be plenty of time to set it up.  The harder part would be to see where the games would go in the intervening 6 seasons.  I see that Fox also owns WPWR 50, which doesn't have original programming.  Maybe the games would go there and/or be split with WFLD?

I forgot about WPWR. That would make sense to use it as WCIU is used now by WGN. Also, that was my only point with FSNC. The 5 years on WFLD would be the bridge to the larger deal on cable. The old entity would be revived and morph into the new Cubs network in 2019 provided that the CSN ownership stake could be sold off prior to that. YES and NESN are partners with FOX, if I'm not mistaken, so it has been done before.
Wow...is the Score the only place reporting this?

I wonder if this has anything to do with what Theo said on CSN about how Wittenmeyer was going to be very surprised at the upcoming business moves.

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-look...xt-tv-deal

According to article, <span>Crane Kenney, the mastermind behind the rooftop deal - and tacking on an extra year to Soriano's contract, appears to be leading the charge for a new TV deal, </span>

Why do I get the feeling that the Cubs might be the first team in the MLB to have to pay a network to televise it's game?

Quote:Why do I get the feeling that the Cubs might be the first team in the MLB to have to pay a network to televise it's game?

Because you're an incessant whiner?
Mooney is apparently the only one reporting this. The Score was running with this story between 9-10pm last night but hasn't mentioned it this morning. And what I said about a bridge deal in the interim is exactly what Mooney wrote.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="1060Ivy" data-cid="213716" data-time="1389697964">
<div>
Why do I get the feeling that the Cubs might be the first team in the MLB to have to pay a network to televise it's game?

Because you're an incessant whiner?

</div>
</blockquote>
THIS.

Rok, Brett just posted a write up.

I think he's earned the right to whine. I think we all have.

Wang.
I got a right to be hostile, my people been persecuted!

Quote:I think he's earned the right to whine. I think we all have.
And I have earned the right to complain about his incessant bitching.