Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGN No More?
Regarding my bitching, complaining, whining, and ranting regarding the state of the Cubs, Ricketts ownership, TV deal, FO, Wrigley renovation, Clark the mascot, The Plan, the weather, my breakfast, status of my bowel movements, etc. you can look forward to them continuing as long as Cubs continue to treat MLB seasons as an afterthought and they may well continue beyond that point.  Yup, the floggings will continue until morale improves.  

My understanding of this place was that it's a Cubs blog with a strong community component.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions no matter how wrong they may be.  Have a great day!

I look froward to the rants, Ivy. Keep on keeping on.

Wang.
Sheps bitches and moans about the sames things...difference is his posts don't come off as trolling.

Quote:Sheps bitches and moans about the sames things...difference is his posts don't come off as trolling.

Maybe that's because he doesn't make the same points over and over again in threads that are completely unrelated.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I love Ivy. I hope he never changes.
Facts: Cubs own 25% of CSN; Cubs have ~90 games per season on CSN through 2020.

Would it be in the Cubs best interest to try to negotiate a buyout of those games so that it can sign a long term agreement for all 162 games elsewhere? Perhaps something like handing over their ownership stake in the network and providing some monetary compensation for the early termination of the agreement. That would allow the Cubs to sign a long term lucrative agreement for all of its games or create their own network. Just a thought.

If the Cubs own 25% of CSN (some say 20%), the price of selling their interest to Reinsdorf and Wertz may just net out the cost of terminating the deal. I have no idea what the economic costs would be though without knowing any of the details.
It seems like it would be a good idea.  Really hoping we hear something at the convention this weekend.  Anyone going?

What does the future hold for fans like me who live out of state & depend on WGN radio ?    Will they change radio providers next ???

Ivy, I think you're justified.  This team sucks, yet we continue to be fans.  Its our given right to bitch about them incessantly.  It does not bother me one bit.  It shouldn't bother anybody.  Now, if Ivy decides to don other colors because of the current situations/ complaints, that's another story.  But I feel Ivy has every right to bitch and moan everyday he wants to.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  In Ivy's case, in his butthole for Clark to guide it home.  Zing.

"The big dog walks late." - PcB
Quote:What does the future hold for fans like me who live out of state & depend on WGN radio ?    Will they change radio providers next ???
Actually the Cubs took the opt out from the TV contract (as they know they can get more $) and WGN opted out of the radio deal.  Most think the the Cubs and WGN will renegotiate a deal on the radio side for after 2014, but the Cubs may sign with espn 1000 or others.  I'm hoping they make a revised deal with WGN on the radio side.
Quote:Ivy, I think you're justified.  This team sucks, yet we continue to be fans.  Its our given right to bitch about them incessantly.  It does not bother me one bit.  It shouldn't bother anybody.  Now, if Ivy decides to don other colors because of the current situations/ complaints, that's another story.  But I feel Ivy has every right to bitch and moan everyday he wants to.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  In Ivy's case, in his butthole for Clark to guide it home.  Zing.
I have no problem with bitching. The place would be boring if everyone had the same opinion. I get crucified (and will get crucified) when I inevitably defend the past, current and future Cubs managers as being smarter than a troglodyte with a spike in his head. Talk radio and the internet were built on the certainty that the current manager doesn't know what he is doing. I'm not a popular guy when I argue the opposite.

However, if Ivy is going to speak his mind, he (as anyone on a public message board) should be prepared to have someone challenge his statements. I'm consistently astounded, more so on Facebook when it comes to political posts than on here, when people get upset when they post a provocative comment then have someone post comments disagreeing with them. Why in the world are you posting them if you don't expect someone to comment on them?

And if you are in the minority, and most people disagree with you, tough shit. I don't agree with 95 percent of what Ivy posts, but I'd love to go out and get a beer with him as soon as the season rolls around. Tom and I have had some brutal disagreements over the last 10 years, but I love him like a brother, and if he ever needed anything, I'd do what I could for him. Point is, disagree all you want. That's why the board exists. However, calling Ricketts cheap while we are discussing the latest episode of the Walking Dead eventually wears thin.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Losing the Cubs all together on WGN TV will be bad because had it not been for them airing games over the years, their probably wouldnt be such a large fanbase.   I get the idea you can always pay extra to watch them online or on tv but I've always enjoyed them on basic cable.

Something tells me that WGN will try to work something out to at least air a dozen games or so on Sundays on a much smaller deal. I know that wasn't the case with the Braves and the similar relationship they had with TBS, but the WGN/Cubs marriage has been much longer. You clearly lose some marketing power by abandoning basic cable altogether.
You really think a new TV partner would be on board with letting WGN have a bunch of Sundays for old times' sake?