Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite isolation movies that you've watched
Quote:Sicario was probably my favourite movie of the 20-teen's and also really enjoyed Blade Runner (just hated Jared Leto).
I hate Leto in general, but I thought he was good in it despite that.
He's a shitty human (and his music is also terrible), but the guy can act when he commits to something.
The new HBO show about the rise of the Lakers is pretty fucking great. Really solid casting all around (John C. Reilly as the owner is hilarious, the guy who plays Magic nails it, same for Jerry West, Pat Riley, etc.). They did a terrific job of nailing the 80's look, yet it still feels quite fresh. Very enjoyable so far.
I saw Everything Everywhere All at Once and it's the best movie of 2022 so far, hands down. If you get a chance, you should see it. Super creative, funny, thought-provoking...

Went to see the Northman last night, and I have to say that while it was beautifully made and I didn’t hate it, but the critical hype was way exaggerated. I love Eggers, but to me this was his weakest film. The Witch is still #1.

Quote:Went to see the Northman last night, and I have to say that while it was beautifully made and I didn’t hate it, but the critical hype was way exaggerated. I love Eggers, but to me this was his weakest film. The Witch is still #1.

Damn. I was looking forward to this.
Go see it Butch. I just expected more.
I ended up seeing it last night. Smile

I actually ended up feeling similar. I'm not sure what I expected, Less weirdo Nordic mythology hallucinatory imagery and more hellbent on revenge bloodletting? I did enjoy it and there was a lot to like, but it was 4/5 and I was hoping for 5/5.

Also, Nicole Kidman's performance felt entirely out of place to me. That was a miscast. Maybe it's because she's too much of a movie star...but it's like if Tom Cruise played a supporting role in the movie.

Completely miscast, and I think part of it is her strange plastic surgeries have turned her into a wooden version of her former self. I also love Anya Taylor-Joy and Skarsgard, but there was zero chemistry and little energy between them. I wanted more mystical weirdness. I also thought the battle scenes during the 2nd half were fairly boring, wasting some tremendous scenery. Id give it no more than 3/5 stars. It could have been something unique and great. I think Eggers needs to stick to lower budget fare.
Good point about the lack of chemistry.

By the end of it, I wasn't quite sure what Eggers was trying to say. I have no problems whatsoever with a straight-up revenge story. But he was clearly reaching for profundity and to me something was lost in translation.