Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
Something about us not offering Wood just feels dirty. I don't like it one bit. I need a bath. Someone tell Rapp to drain the gravy out of the tub so I can use it.
Who's your daddy?
It still feels like we're shitting on the face of the Cubs for the past 10 years.

I understand the money woes, but why not just say that? Instead we sit with contracts like Marquis. It sucks.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I agree. This is all really hard to understand. I still wonder, what would we have had to pay Wood if he accepted arbritration?
Who's your daddy?
<!--quoteo(post=598:date=Dec 2 2008, 07:11 AM:name=coolpoppa)-->QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 2 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I agree. This is all really hard to understand. I still wonder, what would we have had to pay Wood if he accepted arbritration?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

More than he made last year. So, $8-10 mil probably.
<!--quoteo(post=433:date=Dec 1 2008, 03:38 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 1 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=363:date=Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM:name=HamSammitch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HamSammitch @ Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->angel guzman is the pitching version of pie. he won't amount o anything ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree. His problems have been pretty much all health related. When healthy, he's been as advertised. Pie on the other hand has been healthy (other than his sac issues last year), but hasn't shown much more than being really fast.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'm not saying their situations are similar. i'm saying neither are gonna be productive major leaguers. ever.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=677:date=Dec 2 2008, 10:21 AM:name=HamSammitch)-->QUOTE (HamSammitch @ Dec 2 2008, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=433:date=Dec 1 2008, 03:38 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 1 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=363:date=Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM:name=HamSammitch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HamSammitch @ Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->angel guzman is the pitching version of pie. he won't amount o anything ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree. His problems have been pretty much all health related. When healthy, he's been as advertised. Pie on the other hand has been healthy (other than his sac issues last year), but hasn't shown much more than being really fast.

i'm not saying their situations are similar. i'm saying neither are gonna be productive major leaguers. ever.

I disagree with that for Guzman.
I think Guzman is a really interesting player. If he can stay healthy, I can see him at the back of our rotation. I'd love to get rid of Marquis and give Guzman his starts.
Who's your daddy?
Um, excuse me Muskrat? Fire her, please
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs do have a limited budget, especially with the team's ownership still in flux. They have $62 million committed to Alfonso Soriano, Aramis Ramirez, Derrek Lee, Fukudome and Mark DeRosa for 2009, and another $55 million owed to pitchers Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis, Ryan Dempster and Rich Harden. That doesn't give Cubs general manager Jim Hendry much wiggle room in the '09 payroll, which wasn't expected to be higher than last season's $120 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I went to bed pissed off about this last night. Wood has always been a favorite of mine and I hate to see him go. I am incredibly pissed that we will not even get draft pick compensation for him. From a purely sabre perspective this was the right thing to do, with the new budget woes paying $10 million plus for maybe 50 meaningful innings is retarded. I will still try to root for Wood in the future in less the new team he signs with makes that impossible.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
Marquis is due $9.875M next season, after getting $4.75 and $6.37 the last 2 seasons. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]

I know we all saw this coming, but I'm going off to puke now.
I saw this at the bottom of an Bruce Miles article. I wasn't aware that this rule was removed. It opens the door for Kerry to return if he doesn't find an offer to his liking.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->May 1 was removed in the most recent CBA
That applies both to the failure to offer arbitration and the failure to come to terms by January 8 after a player declines an arbitration offer. So arbitration aside, teams now have the same rights as other teams to negotiate with their own free agents after the free agency election period.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The May 1 thing
For that, we can thank Andy MacPhail. Andy was lead negotiator and the man who helped avert a strike in 2002 (along with guys like Glavine, who told the paid union help that the players didn't want to strike).

MacPhail somehow convinced Don Fehr and the boys that the May 1 restriction was silly for the players because it effectively removed one bidder from the market, that being the player's former team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=989:date=Dec 3 2008, 06:16 AM:name=Vine)-->QUOTE (Vine @ Dec 3 2008, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Marquis is due $9.875M next season, after getting $4.75 and $6.37 the last 2 seasons. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]

I know we all saw this coming, but I'm going off to puke now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On the plus side, I don't think we'll have to watch him pitch next year.
From Olney on ESPN Insider

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Sure, the Cubs would love to have Adam Dunn in their lineup. But the problem is that in the end, they probably can't seriously consider playing the defensively challenged Dunn in one corner outfield spot, as the other bookend to the defensively challenged Alfonso Soriano. And given the current market conditions, there's virtually no chance of their moving Soriano's contract.

Dunn continues to put himself in position for a bigger and better season, through conditioning; he's dropped 14 pounds so far in this offseason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Jake Peavy talks between the Cubs and Padres are essentially on hold at this point, as the Cubs' ownership situation is being settled. Once that process moves along, the talks figure to restart; the Cubs keep telling the Padres that they are seriously interested, and the teams have a basic framework in place, built around Josh Vitters. The Padres remain under enormous pressure to cut payroll and move Peavy's salary -- which, day by day, doesn't look like the kind of sweetheart deal that it looked like at the beginning of the offseason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How does Muskrat continue to misstate facts and not get corrected? She works for MLB for chrissakes!
Another half-assed attempt at reporting
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs' ownership situation is still in flux. Even though management says it's business as usual, they do have a limited budget. Plus, the team has several long-term contracts that bump up in 2009. Expect the final payroll to be slightly higher than the $120 million spent in 2008.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dunn in RF would be a circus show.I'd like his bat 5th or so in our lineup,but he'd cost half as many runs as he'd help produce.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.