Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=347:date=Dec 1 2008, 12:34 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 1 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=345:date=Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't get it. He's been the face of the Cubs for a number of years. Now they're going to just drop him like dead weight? It doesn't make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I fail to believe that not a single team would offer him a 2 year contract. There is always a team out there desperate for pitching, even in bad economic times. Why would he accept arbitration after we already said he didn't fit into our plans?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because he really wants to be a Cub. That is one reason. He's already has enough money to do whatever he wants. Maybe he justs wants to win a World Series for the Cubs.
<!--quoteo(post=348:date=Dec 1 2008, 11:41 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 1 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=347:date=Dec 1 2008, 12:34 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 1 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=345:date=Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't get it. He's been the face of the Cubs for a number of years. Now they're going to just drop him like dead weight? It doesn't make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I fail to believe that not a single team would offer him a 2 year contract. There is always a team out there desperate for pitching, even in bad economic times. Why would he accept arbitration after we already said he didn't fit into our plans?

Because he really wants to be a Cub. That is one reason. He's already has enough money to do whatever he wants. Maybe he justs wants to win a World Series for the Cubs.
Yeah, but why would he want to put the Cubs in a difficult position? He isn't wanted.
<!--quoteo(post=350:date=Dec 1 2008, 11:56 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 1 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=348:date=Dec 1 2008, 11:41 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 1 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=347:date=Dec 1 2008, 12:34 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 1 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=345:date=Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't get it. He's been the face of the Cubs for a number of years. Now they're going to just drop him like dead weight? It doesn't make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but why would he want to put the Cubs in a difficult position? He isn't wanted.

I'm wondering why he wasn't wanted in the first place. If it's economic, fine. Say that, but don't give us this crap about a multi-year contract and what not.
I got nothin'.

Andy
angel guzman is the pitching version of pie. he won't amount o anything ever.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=363:date=Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM:name=HamSammitch)-->QUOTE (HamSammitch @ Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->angel guzman is the pitching version of pie. he won't amount o anything ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
i agree
<!--quoteo(post=363:date=Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM:name=HamSammitch)-->QUOTE (HamSammitch @ Dec 1 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->angel guzman is the pitching version of pie. he won't amount o anything ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree. His problems have been pretty much all health related. When healthy, he's been as advertised. Pie on the other hand has been healthy (other than his sac issues last year), but hasn't shown much more than being really fast.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I disagree. His problems have been pretty much all health related. When healthy, he's been as advertised. Pie on the other hand has been healthy (other than his sac issues last year), but hasn't shown much more than being really fast.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I Coach-cur.
We'll keep Blanco. We better anyway.
@TheBlogfines
No arbitration for Wood. Guess they REALLY didn't want him back.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.j...sp&c_id=chc
<!--quoteo(post=510:date=Dec 1 2008, 07:49 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 1 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No arbitration for Wood. Guess they REALLY didn't want him back.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.j...sp&c_id=chc<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that blows.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
Why wouldn't they? It doesn't make sense.
<!--quoteo(post=512:date=Dec 1 2008, 07:53 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Dec 1 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Why wouldn't they? It doesn't make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because if they offer it and he accepts it, then they have to pay him. There must not be as big a market for Wood as they had thought and there must be at least a small chance he takes it.

Weak
It makes perfect sense to me. They knew he would stay. What if they couldn't trade him? Then they're stuck with that deal and they're on a budget. They have to get a left-handed bat. I don't think people realize how little money they have to work with.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=514:date=Dec 1 2008, 07:58 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 1 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It makes perfect sense to me. They knew he would stay. What if they couldn't trade him? Then they're stuck with that deal and they're on a budget. They have to get a left-handed bat. I don't think people realize how little money they have to work with.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you are exactly right. If people would step back and realize that for the first time in years we are working with a strict budget. This team could not afford a $10 million ( on the cheap end) a year closer and still address the rest of their needs. Yes it sucks to see him leave. However because of the budget of this team this year it was a move that had to be made.
I guess if Wood was gonna get $10 mill and be untradable, then this is understandable. Still don't like it, though.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.