Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitchers And Catchers Report
<!--quoteo(post=18034:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:35 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 15 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18032:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:29 PM:name=jeffy777)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy777 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18016:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a difficult time seeing how with a 12 man pitching staff we are going to be able to carry someone on the team that can only back-up first base. With a five man bench everyone is going to have to be able to play a couple of positions at a minimum<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but keep in mind we don't have Ward any more either, and Micah will be filling his shoes as the big bat off the bench as well as backup first baseman, and outfield too if needed.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We didn't have Gathright last year.

Gathright is a big bat? I was under the impression he had little to no power....?

EDIT: He hasn't homered since 2006.....and is also lacking in the doubles department as well. He's more of an OBP guy than a big bat.
Yeah it seems like other than maybe another infielder over Hoffpauir the roster is pretty set.
I'm all about grabbing up some IF depth.

I don't know if anybody has realized it yet, but the guys Ruby just listed as our infielders... are the only infielders we have on our 40 man roster. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=18038:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:51 PM:name=jeffy777)-->QUOTE (jeffy777 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18034:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:35 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 15 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18032:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:29 PM:name=jeffy777)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy777 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18016:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a difficult time seeing how with a 12 man pitching staff we are going to be able to carry someone on the team that can only back-up first base. With a five man bench everyone is going to have to be able to play a couple of positions at a minimum<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but keep in mind we don't have Ward any more either, and Micah will be filling his shoes as the big bat off the bench as well as backup first baseman, and outfield too if needed.

We didn't have Gathright last year.

Gathright is a big bat? I was under the impression he had little to no power....?

EDIT: He hasn't homered since 2006.....and is also lacking in the doubles department as well. He's more of an OBP guy than a big bat.

Thanks for the digging, but I'm referring to the spot on the bench that his presence consumes.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=18040:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:52 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 15 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm all about grabbing up some IF depth.

I don't know if anybody has realized it yet, but the guys Ruby just listed as our infielders... are the only infielders we have on our 40 man roster. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ON THE ENTIRE 40-MAN??!?!?!? Holy crap. That's, um, really really bad. That deserves a rant.
<!--quoteo(post=18040:date=Feb 15 2009, 08:52 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 15 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm all about grabbing up some IF depth.

I don't know if anybody has realized it yet, but the guys Ruby just listed as our infielders... are the only infielders we have on our 40 man roster. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Luckily, we currently sit at only 39 players on the 40 man, so signing someone else wouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure we'll see it happen or maybe see one of the non-roster guys added (Blanco, Rivas) before the end of ST.
Has anyone heard if we are in fact interested in Hudson?
<!--quoteo(post=18050:date=Feb 15 2009, 08:53 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Feb 15 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has anyone heard if we are in fact interested in Hudson?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So far I've only seen that Boston reporter mention it. I don't think Levine's said anything and he's been right on with pretty much all the Cubs moves this offseason it seems.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=18050:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:53 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Feb 15 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has anyone heard if we are in fact interested in Hudson?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Miles posted on NSBB that we have no interest. Miles is also the last person to know about anything on a usual basis though too.
Dammit!
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Zambrano got rid of his mustache after taking a lot of ribbing, including Piniella's assertion that he looked like one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lou said Bradley will bat 4th or 5th by the way. I'll be really surprised if it isn't 4th.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=18068:date=Feb 16 2009, 01:29 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 16 2009, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Dammit!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Zambrano got rid of his mustache after taking a lot of ribbing, including Piniella's assertion that he looked like one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lou said Bradley will bat 4th or 5th by the way. I'll be really surprised if it isn't 4th.
Then ARam had better be batting 3rd. It would be idiotic to potentially give Lee more AB.
I think this will be the opening day lineup:

Soriano
Fontenot
Lee
Bradley
Ramirez
Soto
Fukudome
Theriot
Dempster

I could definitely see Theriot staying at the #2 spot, but they keep talking about being more left-handed so it seems unlikely to me that they'd toss two of the three lefties against righties at the bottom of the lineup. It would also be better for Lee as I'll explain.

I'll be surprised if they move him out of the #3 spot before the season starts. Aramis would be batting with runners on base a lot with the those four guys ahead of him, especially with Milton who walks a shit ton right ahead of him. I think Lee will work on getting the loft back in his swing a bit, but if his groundball rates look like last year's, do we really want him batting behind a guy that will be on first base a ton in Bradley? That was part of the problem last year, Lee had many more opportunities to hit into a DP than anybody in the league because Theriot almost always singled or walked(he did those <b>227 times</b> to be exact).

I'd start with the lineup I listed and see how it looks after the first few weeks. Again, with our shitty division, we can likely come out of the gates slowly and still be in good shape, so we can try a few things out. I'll be fine with however it looks though. We've got 8 very good hitters and we're going to score a ton of runs no matter how the lineup is assembled.
@TheBlogfines
1) Gathright is an OBP guy? Uh.......no.
.311 last year.
He can't hit, he can't hit for power, and he can't walk.
A triple threat.
His signing was positively absurd, and in any other Non-DeRosa off-season, it'd be considered the worst move of the winter.

2) Milton Bradley will almost certainly get on base more than any other Cub, so batting him fifth
would be fucking <i>ludicrous.</i>
How did Bradley do in getting on-base last year? Well...he <b>led</b> the American League.
First. In the entire <i>league</i>.

Yeah, Lou, that's a guy you want to bury deep in the line-up, after all your run-producers hit.
I think Piniella's going fucking senile.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
You definitely want to put him in front of Ramirez.

Check out this split from 2008.

Bradley:
2-out, RISP - BA .163, BUT his OBP .446. So he gets on.

Ramirez:
2-out, RISP - BA .283 OBP .419

I got nothin'.

Andy
Clapp, that is EXACTLY the lineup I expect, as well.