Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitchers And Catchers Report
<!--quoteo(post=17990:date=Feb 14 2009, 06:14 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 14 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Fontenot and Miles are going to be the primary 3B backups, it means one of two things is possible:

a.) we could really make a run at O-Dog; or

b.) Hoffpaiur is gonna make the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah Piniella said in one of his spring reports that Hoffpauir would get a chance to make the team, as the backup 1B/lefty pinch hitter. That would leave us awfully thin at 2B/SS/3B though. I still think we will add an infielder by opening day.
<!--quoteo(post=17991:date=Feb 14 2009, 08:19 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 14 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=17990:date=Feb 14 2009, 06:14 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 14 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Fontenot and Miles are going to be the primary 3B backups, it means one of two things is possible:

a.) we could really make a run at O-Dog; or

b.) Hoffpaiur is gonna make the team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah Piniella said in one of his spring reports that Hoffpauir would get a chance to make the team, as the backup 1B/lefty pinch hitter. That would leave us awfully thin at 2B/SS/3B though. I still think we will add an infielder by opening day.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lou said he wanted to give guys like Lee more days off this year, so we're going to need someone to fill in for him, and Hoffpaiur has the offensive pop we need.
I have a difficult time seeing how with a 12 man pitching staff we are going to be able to carry someone on the team that can only back-up first base. With a five man bench everyone is going to have to be able to play a couple of positions at a minimum
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=18016:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a difficult time seeing how with a 12 man pitching staff we are going to be able to carry someone on the team that can only back-up first base. With a five man bench everyone is going to have to be able to play a couple of positions at a minimum<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hoffpauir can play the corner outfield spots too.
We already have five outfielders though, without hoffpauir.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=18018:date=Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We already have five outfielders though, without hoffpauir.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why, for Hoffpaiur, it all comes down to whether Miles and Fontenot can adequately back-up 3B and SS. Even then it's a stretch to only have one guy on a given day that can come off the bench to back up one of those positions.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=18018:date=Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We already have five outfielders though, without hoffpauir.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I realize. I was just pointing out that he can play there. Plus, if we're facing a particularly tough righty and want to rest Soriano, it would be nice to throw another lefty into the lineup that can actually hit righties.
<!--quoteo(post=18019:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:09 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 15 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18018:date=Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We already have five outfielders though, without hoffpauir.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why, for Hoffpaiur, it all comes down to whether Miles and Fontenot can adequately back-up 3B and SS. Even then it's a stretch to only have one guy on a given day that can come off the bench to back up one of those positions.
Soriano could always play some second in a pinch [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif[/img]
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=18021:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:26 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Feb 15 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18019:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:09 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 15 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18018:date=Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We already have five outfielders though, without hoffpauir.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Soriano could always play some second in a pinch [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif[/img]
I think you have Soriano confused with Murton. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

-Jody
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Position players don't have to report to the Cubs' camp until Tuesday, but Bradley took some swings with the other early arrivals, such as Ryan Theriot, Reed Johnson, So Taguchi and Jason Dubois. A switch-hitter, Bradley batted from the right side in his first turn in the cage, then flipped to the left for his next, then back to his right.

"I'm just glad I didn't swing and miss and embarrass myself," he said.

There are no problems with his right knee, which he sprained in 2006, and he doesn't welcome inquiries about it.

"This should be the last question I answer about my knee," he said. "It's been a year, two years, whatever. I'm fine. I feel I could've played last year [with Texas]. They just wanted me to [be the designated hitter] because they had enough guys who could play in the field."

He won't have that option with the Cubs. Bradley will be patrolling right field, playing for the two-time National League champions. He's looking for a three-peat.

"This is the first time I've come to a team that's expected to win," he said. "Every other team I've been on, it's, 'Oh, you're slated to finish in third place, what do you think about that?' Coming here, expecting to win, just a lot of expectations and what not, it's different, so it's a different feeling. You're not coming in here hoping to compete. You're coming in here expecting to win."

He got a taste of that at the Cubs Convention in January.

"That was a 'nice fest,'" Bradley said. "I've never run into that many nice people in one place. It's welcome. It helps the transition for me when you're dealing with people who are nice and appreciative and all for you and in your corner. It hasn't always been that way."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"It's the Cubs -- who wouldn't want to play for the Cubs?" Bradley said. "They already have a great team in place. I'm coming in, trying to add something to that. They haven't won in 100 years. You come in and you know you have that, I guess you call it 'pressure' -- that's the media word, 'pressure' -- it's not really like that.

"I just want to be on a team that's going to win. That's all I want to do. Playing at home [stinks] if you're not winning. The Cubs, there's a good team here and we're going to win. I want to be a part of that."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Reed Johnson was looking for some new pants on Sunday.

The Cubs outfielder decided to change his eating habits this offseason and dropped about 14 pounds. He's amazed at how much better he feels physically and mentally.

"If you lose the 11, 15 pounds and then you put on a 15-pound weight vest, you realize how much tougher it can be on your body," he said Sunday.

Johnson wasn't told to drop the pounds. But he's had back problems in the past and chose to watch his intake in hopes of preventing any more issues. No more greasy cheeseburgers on his menu. In-N-Out burgers are out, salads with chicken are in.

"I feel like I got to the point where I've conditioned my body to where I don't have to eat as much anymore," he said. "When I first got home, I could eat a bean and cheese burrito and whatever, and I'd say, 'Man, I could eat more after this.' Now I go and have something to eat and I'm full and satisfied, and you condition your body to eat better and eat less."

A kinesiology major at Cal State Fullerton, he knew that less weight would be less strain on his back. It can only help.

"If you take on a bigger workload, whether it's the middle of Spring Training or halfway through the season, it's harder to lose weight," he said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"Over the summer, I started getting the itch again," he said. "More than anything else, I still feel like I can do this. I don't have as good a stuff as I did six or seven years ago, but there's no doubt in my mind that I can do this."

In 2007, he was 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA in 69 games. Stanton has a career 3.92 ERA in the big leagues, appearing in more than 1,000 games. He isn't ready to call it quits, although Stanton admits he did think about retiring.

"Early, after the Reds let me go, there was some thought, 'I don't need this, I don't need this frustration,'" he said. "Then your competitive juices start stirring again. It's hard to walk away. First, you don't get to do it on your own terms and you still think you have something in the tank. My numbers were a lot worse than I pitched."

In six of his games last season, he gave up 19 earned runs. That's six out of 69 games.

"The bulk of the work was a lot better than the numbers," he said.

In a perfect world, people would prefer to walk away on their own terms. Stanton has heard that.

"Even if it's not literally on my own terms, but if it's a situation you can accept," he said. "That's not the reason I'm here -- I'm here because I know I can still pitch and I know I can help this team get by the first round."

Cubs manager Lou Piniella isn't counting Stanton out of the equation.

"He told me yesterday he planned on battling for a job," Piniella said Sunday. "We'll give him the opportunity."

Stanton is confident.

"Hopefully, I'll throw the ball well enough and make the team, and we'll go from there," he said. "I know the situation. I also know I can do this."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From a few articles on Cubs.com
@TheBlogfines
The Cubs are two-time National League champions? Fuck-it-all. I missed those World Series appearances.
<!--quoteo(post=18016:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a difficult time seeing how with a 12 man pitching staff we are going to be able to carry someone on the team that can only back-up first base. With a five man bench everyone is going to have to be able to play a couple of positions at a minimum<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but keep in mind we don't have Ward any more either, and Micah will be filling his shoes as the big bat off the bench as well as backup first baseman, and outfield too if needed.
I'd like to see Hoff get a roster spot. If not, while it won't happen, I wouldn't mind having Garret Anderson as the lefty off the bench but I don't see him taking that role. That and he's made one appearance at first in his career.
<!--quoteo(post=18032:date=Feb 15 2009, 09:29 PM:name=jeffy777)-->QUOTE (jeffy777 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18016:date=Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a difficult time seeing how with a 12 man pitching staff we are going to be able to carry someone on the team that can only back-up first base. With a five man bench everyone is going to have to be able to play a couple of positions at a minimum<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but keep in mind we don't have Ward any more either, and Micah will be filling his shoes as the big bat off the bench as well as backup first baseman, and outfield too if needed.

We didn't have Gathright last year.
If we make no more moves, I think this is the Opening Day roster:

C Soto
C Bako

1B Lee
1B Hoffpauir
2B Fontenot
2B Miles
SS Theriot
3B Ramirez

LF Soriano
CF Fukudome
CF Johnson
CF Gathright
RF Bradley

SP Zambrano
SP Harden
SP Dempster
SP Lilly
SP Marshall

CP Marmol
SU Gregg
BP Cotts
BP Gaudin
BP Heilman
BP Vizcanio
BP Samardzija

That said, I think we need another middle infielder.