Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shutter Island
I saw this last night, and I thought it was pretty damn good. I went in knowing nothing about it, I hadn't even seen a trailer so I had no expectations. Really creepy and enjoyable movie.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
I saw this last Thursday and liked it a lot. It isn't anything like the trailers make it out to be. It isn't really a horror movie at all (although there are lots of unsettling moments).

Certainly not in the GoodFellas/Taxi Driver/Raging Bull stratosphere, but pretty freaking good.
i really liked it too. there's one thing i still don't exactly get about it but i'm going to wait to see it again to see if it comes to me. B movie with A list performances, director and writer. good stuff
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
<!--quoteo(post=81955:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:29 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 8 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I saw this last Thursday and liked it a lot. It isn't anything like the trailers make it out to be. It isn't really a horror movie at all (although there are lots of unsettling moments).

Certainly not in the GoodFellas/Taxi Driver/Raging Bull stratosphere, but pretty freaking good.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed. I think Ben Kingsley was really good in it.
I guessed the twist to this months ago, and almost convinced myself to avoid this movie altogether. I thought it was pretty decent, but something about it just didn't click with me. I guess that when you've seen as many B and C-grade movies as I have, a film like this is a bit hard to accept as either art or pulp. It's another one of those movies where the sum of the performances, which were all really solid, didn't result in a great film, but is still good quality entertainment. In the end though, it felt as though I had seen this movie before. I just wonder if had a lesser director and lesser cast been attached to the same project, would I like it as much? I honestly don't know the answer to that question. Watching it a second time might be sort of fun though to be able to study all of the characters once more. Anyway 3.5/5 stars.