Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If a movie is loved by the critics and wins all kins of awards, it's almost a sure bet that I won't like it. I always get tricked, I always go to the movies with the best reviews and rent the ones that have won all the awards. Then I sit down, watch them, and get pissed off everytime because I hate them.
<!--quoteo(post=46943:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:41 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 29 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46883:date=Jun 28 2009, 11:24 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 28 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46616:date=Jun 27 2009, 09:38 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 27 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46228:date=Jun 25 2009, 04:30 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 25 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46186:date=Jun 25 2009, 02:28 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 25 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I love B movies too, always have, but there is a point where a big budget movie ceases to be intentionally unintentionally funny and crosses the line into farcical corny territory. This is the problem with some of these movies. I prefer big budget spoofs (Mars Attacks) to big budget B movies (ID). It was ok and had its moments, but I think watching it one time was enough for me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think we've had this discussion before, but Mars Attacks actually pissed me off I hated it so much.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're an idiot, and worth very little.

Yes, it's sterling "52" rating at metacritic.com shows I'm a lone wolf crying out in the darkness on this.
52% for Mars Attacks vs 59% for Independence Day isn't such a huge difference. Plus most critics are humorless snobs, so metacritic doesn't do much for me, and neither do tomatometer ratings.

Are you kidding me? The fact that a Roland Emmerich film did better than a Tim Burton film, WITH THE CRITICS, makes it a HUGE difference. One is a hack churning out popular entertainment for the masses, one is an artiste, supposedly making films for critics.

Besides, my point wasn't to show the ID4 was better than Mars Attacks, simply that the movie was pretty fucking unloved by quite a few people. It's not like I'm trying to explain why Citizen Kane was horribly flawed.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=46988:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:35 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46943:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:41 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 29 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46883:date=Jun 28 2009, 11:24 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 28 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46616:date=Jun 27 2009, 09:38 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 27 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46228:date=Jun 25 2009, 04:30 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 25 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46186:date=Jun 25 2009, 02:28 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 25 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I love B movies too, always have, but there is a point where a big budget movie ceases to be intentionally unintentionally funny and crosses the line into farcical corny territory. This is the problem with some of these movies. I prefer big budget spoofs (Mars Attacks) to big budget B movies (ID). It was ok and had its moments, but I think watching it one time was enough for me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think we've had this discussion before, but Mars Attacks actually pissed me off I hated it so much.

You're an idiot, and worth very little.

Yes, it's sterling "52" rating at metacritic.com shows I'm a lone wolf crying out in the darkness on this.
52% for Mars Attacks vs 59% for Independence Day isn't such a huge difference. Plus most critics are humorless snobs, so metacritic doesn't do much for me, and neither do tomatometer ratings.

Are you kidding me? The fact that a Roland Emmerich film did better than a Tim Burton film, WITH THE CRITICS, makes it a HUGE difference. One is a hack churning out popular entertainment for the masses, one is an artiste, supposedly making films for critics.

Besides, my point wasn't to show the ID4 was better than Mars Attacks, simply that the movie was pretty fucking unloved by quite a few people. It's not like I'm trying to explain why Citizen Kane was horribly flawed.
Even good directors make bad movies from time to time, but this isn't one of those cases.

I still couldn't care less if the critics loved one as opposed to the other though. I know what you're trying to say, that you aren't in the minority for loving ID4, but by your same logic Mars Attacks wasn't a complete failure either if 52% of the critics out there liked it. Humor is subjective, and most critics are humorless.
But again, I'm not comparing the two. I was simply responding to Ace's claim that I was a moron for not liking it. Critically, the movie was not particularly well liked. Commercially and popularly, the movie was a complete failure. Going by IMDB, the movie cost 70 million, and made less than 40.

For the record, I very much wanted to like this movie. But I found it rather one-note, with despicable characters getting killed by evil martians. I suppose a couple of bits were funny in how the people of earth died (and the ultimate weapon used against the martians is amusing, but not hysterical), but I really saw no point in watching people I didn't care about, acting like complete bastards, getting picked off one by one. I guess it's possible I was supposed to be identifying with the Martians, but they were evil little bastards too.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
i hated "mars attacks" so much, i couldn't finish it.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=47007:date=Jun 29 2009, 11:04 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->watching people I didn't care about, acting like complete bastards, getting picked off one by one.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You just described some of my favorite b movies. To each his own I guess.
<!--quoteo(post=47025:date=Jun 29 2009, 11:45 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 29 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=47007:date=Jun 29 2009, 11:04 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->watching people I didn't care about, acting like complete bastards, getting picked off one by one.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You just described some of my favorite b movies. To each his own I guess.

See, I love b movies, but it's rare that despise pretty much every character on the screen. I guess the kid and his grandma were likable enough, but that was pretty much it.
I may be a sucker for disaster movies more than any other type of genre. This looks pretty crazy. Anyone see the trailer for District 9. I'm kinda interested in that too.
<!--quoteo(post=48153:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:04 PM:name=CCwinwssoon)-->QUOTE (CCwinwssoon @ Jul 5 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I may be a sucker for disaster movies more than any other type of genre. This looks pretty crazy. Anyone see the trailer for District 9. I'm kinda interested in that too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
District 9 has a helluva lot more going for it than being your run-of-the-mill distaster flick. It has that raw dystopian, end of civilization feel to it just as Children of Men had but with a nice sci-fi twist. I've been waiting for this for several months now.