Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hurt Locker
Hurt Locker currently has a status of Very Long Wait on my Netflix cue.
I have had some mixed emotions on the film's character which I am not sure make the film any less good or bad.

Did anyone else think the main character was very unlikeable. In some ways I found him to be very selfish in the way he acts when he gets home.

Then I just see him as an addict because he feels this is the only thing he has ever been good at. But I also see him as a kid that if he didn't go into the military he would have ended up being sort of a piece of shit guy.

Not sure but was just seeing if anyone had any thoughts on this...
Dude, I would have warned people for possible spoilers. Anyway, your points are well taken, but that is what makes him a great character, the fact that you aren't entirely sure whether to admire him or not, but then again it takes a special type of person to do what he does, so I'd have to believe that most people would be indifferent toward his personal failings. I think that was the main theme of the movie, showing the different types of soldiers who fight for this country and how (and why) they able to cope with varying degrees of combat shock, or in many cases they can't cope with civilian life at all and find the military more of a family than their own.
I watched this tonight. I liked it as an action movie, plenty of great, tense sequences. For a war movie or a drama... I don't know. Seems like it could have used some more character development, especially with the Sanborn and Eldridge characters.
Just finished it and I thought it was great. It really takes a deep look in the mentality of the troops and the difference between life on active duty and at home. Some very tense moments and made you think a little bit.
Glad this one took the Oscar. It was probably the best movie I saw last year.

And I love that Bigelow won it instead of her douchebag of an ex-husband. That was satisfying.
<!--quoteo(post=81956:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Glad this one took the Oscar. It was probably the best movie I saw last year.

And I love that Bigelow won it instead of her douchebag of an ex-husband. That was satisfying.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed on all accounts. Although I enjoyed Avatar as well, I can't really imagine wanting to sit through the entire thing ever again. I'd re-watch Hurt Locker in a hearbeat though.
<!--quoteo(post=81957:date=Mar 8 2010, 11:39 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 8 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81956:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Glad this one took the Oscar. It was probably the best movie I saw last year.

And I love that Bigelow won it instead of her douchebag of an ex-husband. That was satisfying.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed on all accounts. Although I enjoyed Avatar as well, I can't really imagine wanting to sit through the entire thing ever again. I'd re-watch Hurt Locker in a hearbeat though.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same. I'm also glad Up In The Air didn't win. That movie and Clooney are both overrated.
<!--quoteo(post=81960:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:59 AM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Mar 8 2010, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81957:date=Mar 8 2010, 11:39 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Mar 8 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81956:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Glad this one took the Oscar. It was probably the best movie I saw last year.

Same. I'm also glad Up In The Air didn't win. That movie and Clooney are both overrated.
I actually enjoyed Up in the Air much more than I thought I would. I went in with no expectations and thought it was pretty solid. Certainly not good enough to win an Oscar, though...
<!--quoteo(post=81963:date=Mar 8 2010, 12:05 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 8 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81960:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:59 AM:name=jeffy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffy @ Mar 8 2010, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81957:date=Mar 8 2010, 11:39 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Mar 8 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81956:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 8 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Glad this one took the Oscar. It was probably the best movie I saw last year.

I actually enjoyed Up in the Air much more than I thought I would. I went in with no expectations and thought it was pretty solid. Certainly not good enough to win an Oscar, though...

Yeah, it was alright, but definitely not the movie of the year, which the commercials were suggesting it was. I'm glad I waited to download it.
I was also glad to see Bridges win the Oscar. I have Crazy Heart at home but haven't watched it yet so I guess I will have to tonight. When Bridges was giving his speech I just kept waiting for him to say " The Dude abides man" or "Hey man, nice marmot".
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
I was also glad to see that The Hurt Locker won as much as it did as it really was a fantastic movie and for the reasons that Butch already alluded to.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=81974:date=Mar 8 2010, 12:40 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Mar 8 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was also glad to see Bridges win the Oscar. I have Crazy Heart at home but haven't watched it yet so I guess I will have to tonight. When Bridges was giving his speech I just kept waiting for him to say " The Dude abides man" or "Hey man, nice marmot".<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too, that speech was great.
Just watched this for the second time last night.

Still awesome.
I was underwhelmed.
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]