Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Nightmare on Elm Street
<!--quoteo(post=65868:date=Oct 7 2009, 04:28 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Oct 7 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=65690:date=Oct 6 2009, 07:03 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Oct 6 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=65678:date=Oct 6 2009, 06:07 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Oct 6 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->this is a movie that needs to be remade. i saw the original a few months ago and man is it dated. now i'm not saying it won't suck, but it could be good.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sure, it's dated, but it had that creepy 80s borderline b-movie feel to it, and the supporting cast was perfect. The fx are kind of laughable by today's standards, but I can't imagine that Englund's wisecracking corny one-liners can be duplicated and have the same effect in this new one. Bay's sense of humor is pretty lame.

I couldn't sleep comfortably for days when I first watched it, yet it was enjoyable on so many levels. I can't imagine saying that about anything that Bay has touched, but maybe there's a first time for everything. I can't argue with the choice for the new Freddy, but man, I dunno, that was a weak trailer.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i agree with you that at the time it came out, it was great. scary as shit. but now it just seems so cheesy.

I get your point. All I'm saying is that if that feeling that the original gave everyone at the time can't be duplicated or improved upon sans cheese, there probably is very little reason to remake this movie. I guess they can go ultra-disturbing and gorily realistic with it, since that's the trend these days, but I'm not sure how satisfying that would be. I'm sure it will make a ton of money either way.
was that Warshak from Watchmen?
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Warshak<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Arnold Horshack?
<!--quoteo(post=65879:date=Oct 7 2009, 05:04 PM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Oct 7 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->was that Warshak from Watchmen?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img]

You must mean Rorschach, and yes, it's him.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=65950:date=Oct 7 2009, 11:41 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Oct 7 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=65879:date=Oct 7 2009, 05:04 PM:name=Mikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mikey @ Oct 7 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->was that Warshak from Watchmen?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bullshit. It's Kelly Leak, goddammit.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=65950:date=Oct 7 2009, 11:41 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Oct 7 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=65879:date=Oct 7 2009, 05:04 PM:name=Mikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mikey @ Oct 7 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->was that Warshak from Watchmen?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yep thanks
[Image: lou.jpg]
I once took a warshak test and failed.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42932

I'm not surprised that the first reviewer (not a critic, but sounds like a relatively intelligent reviewer) found very little to like during the first screening.
just saw it. i had to. it didn't seem like a re-imagining as much as another so-so sequel. sure they did it like a remake, with the origin story which was expanded, but besides freddy there wasn't much new. in fact a bunch of the scenes, which may have been intended to be homages, seemed pulled right from the old movies. haley was a good freddy, or it least he has potential to be, if they let him do more. the freddy here was kind of muted. i thought for sure they'd use technology a little more, being as how it's set in the present, but it was pretty much the same old tricks. when they started doing these remakes years ago, i actually hoped someone good would pick up this franchise because there's so much that someone with some talent and imagination could do with it. oh well. there was sort of a weird shout out to quentin tarantino involved (i think?) and the best death by far is towards the end. the one nuance that was kind of neat was that the kids did some research and found out about micro-naps or something where if you stay up long enough you have these quick waking dreams and this provided for some cheap but pretty lively jolts you don't see coming. bad writing, directing and acting, all there but i'd say if you were a big fan back in the day check it out for yourself. when it comes to video or cable. 2.5 out of 5 stars, probably just because i do still love freddy.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
I thought it was fun to see Freddy with better cinematography. That probably boosts my score a bit. The story didn't develop until late in the game, and the dialogue was cheesy. But it's a horror flick. And a remake of one. It did well enough to be fun, and that's all I'd ask of it. I wish there was less of a diaspora between reality and dream sequences in that they weren't indiscernible...I wish it was done in a Lynch type of manner, but that's just me wishing. There can only be so many startled awakenings for me in a movie. Overall...not bad, but not amazing. I was entertained.

2.5/5
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
There has never been a horror remake that I have liked. I didn't like Van Sant's remake of Psycho. I didn't like Rob Zombie's Halloween remakes. And I definitely haven't liked any of the Michael Bay remake projects. Maybe I'll catch it in a year when it comes to cable. But right now I just don't have any faith in these films.
<!--quoteo(post=94391:date=May 3 2010, 12:11 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ May 3 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There has never been a horror remake that I have liked. I didn't like Van Sant's remake of Psycho. I didn't like Rob Zombie's Halloween remakes. And I definitely haven't liked any of the Michael Bay remake projects. Maybe I'll catch it in a year when it comes to cable. But right now I just don't have any faith in these films.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You weren't a fan of the Friday the 13th remake? I rank it right up there with the first 4 films.

And the Rob Zombie films bothered me, especially since I loved The Devil's Rejects and I'm a die-hard Halloween fan.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

The first Halloween remake was ok, but Zombie has never made a good movie. Devil's Rejects sucked hard. The only good recent horror remake in my mind has been Dawn of the Dead, but it was so different from the original that it made a lot of sense as a stand alone film. I have no interest in watching a remake of Nightmare, other than to see what the new Freddy is all about.
Yeah, Dawn of the Dead was excellent. I thought the first half of the Halloween remake was good, then it was the same old same old. Texas chainsaw Massacre sucked, but watching Jessica Biel in a tank top made up for it to some degree.

The Omen remake may have been the worst of them all.
Wang.